Things to consider/and need

• HTML tutorial

sar6008

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Perdido Key, FL
Member #

I’m planning the trucks maiden overland voyage, Next year) the family and I are going from FL to AZ. What are the essential things I need to do to the truck to make it successful? I don’t want to do any serious rock crawling or anything of that nature but I definitely want to get off the beaten path to get to some of the locations and see the more Scenic things along the way. I’m rehearing the truck in preparation for the added weight. Things I need to do to next is camper shell and roof top tent.
What other things are a must for such an under taking for a trip like this?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Kitchen and food storage. I don’t like drawers in a truck. You have plenty of room and they don’t take much to pull out and set up. You only need 1 weeks food as there are plenty of supermarkets. I would skip the frig. and go with a ice chests. One for drinks one, for food. If you like overlanding you add what you want. I would barrow that you can.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
for me, the biggest things are sleep and shower. if i have a decent sleep area where i can control excessive heat and cold and get a good rest, i can handle a lot of other inconveniences. this goes double for my wife...if she doesn't get good solid sleep, the trip may not be over, but i will definitely be in Grouchland until she does. same as a shower. even a good hot sponge bath...just something to get the grunge off me so i am comfortable and also being somewhat clean helps me sleep better. and good footwear. nothing like being on a 2 week trip and day 1 into it, you have blisters from crappy boots and now your feet hurt for the next few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: sar6008 and EXPO_D1

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Basic set of tools, ensuring you have a good way to jack the vehicle up and replace the tire, trail tire repair kit for quick fix or emergency use if you already used the spare. Good repair manual for your truck if one exists. Fire extinguisher. Depending on your space and level of paranoia extra oil, brake fluid, a brake bleeder, etc. There are a few threads here you can search for on recommended trail tool kits that can give you some ideas.

Reactions: sar6008

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Something you might consider is a "shakedown" trip. Even just an overnight somewhere. Maybe even in your back yard. Bring what you think you'll need. Spend the night. Write down everything you want but don't have.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Make sure your tyres are in good condition and manage pressures according to the route. If you'll need to "air down" (and up again) then a compressor is good to have - we use a small portable one. Take a tyre repair kit as well. Otherwise not much really. Some consider a refrigerator useful (we have one). An awning is good if you're going to be camping in very hot conditions. Something to cook and eat with - we are minimalist (single burner stove, plate/bowl/cup/KFS each, light folding table, a few cooking utensils).

Everything else should be on a "do I really need this?" basis. FOr what you describe you don't need a winch, snorkel, etc., etc. It's handy to have a tow sling and a couple of shackles, but not essential.

Camera(s)? Phone(s)? Binoculars? Maps? GPS? all worth considering but not essential, except for the phone(s) which can be camera, GPS, and maps as well.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I’m planning the trucks maiden overland voyage, Next year) the family and I are going from FL to AZ. What are the essential things I need to do to the truck to make it successful? I don’t want to do any serious rock crawling or anything of that nature but I definitely want to get off the beaten path to get to some of the locations and see the more Scenic things along the way. I’m rehearing the truck in preparation for the added weight. Things I need to do to next is camper shell and roof top tent.
What are your food, refrigeration plans ?

Otherwise, when are you going.
Thinking heat, shade, rain, sleeping, AC vs Heating..... Shelter from rain especially when cooking.

Last edited:

sar6008

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Perdido Key, FL
Member #

for me, the biggest things are sleep and shower. if i have a decent sleep area where i can control excessive heat and cold and get a good rest, i can handle a lot of other inconveniences. this goes double for my wife...if she doesn't get good solid sleep, the trip may not be over, but i will definitely be in Grouchland until she does. same as a shower. even a good hot sponge bath...just something to get the grunge off me so i am comfortable and also being somewhat clean helps me sleep better. and good footwear. nothing like being on a 2 week trip and day 1 into it, you have blisters from crappy boots and now your feet hurt for the next few days.
I’m a hot sleeper myself, I’ve got the tent system I want in mind. Do you have any recommendations for staying cool at night? What’s out there I can use? Or is just a good ol’ fashioned fan and open tent the best option?

Reactions: grubworm

sar6008

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Perdido Key, FL
Member #

Make sure your tyres are in good condition and manage pressures according to the route. If you'll need to "air down" (and up again) then a compressor is good to have - we use a small portable one. Take a tyre repair kit as well. Otherwise not much really. Some consider a refrigerator useful (we have one). An awning is good if you're going to be camping in very hot conditions. Something to cook and eat with - we are minimalist (single burner stove, plate/bowl/cup/KFS each, light folding table, a few cooking utensils).

Everything else should be on a "do I really need this?" basis. FOr what you describe you don't need a winch, snorkel, etc., etc. It's handy to have a tow sling and a couple of shackles, but not essential.

Camera(s)? Phone(s)? Binoculars? Maps? GPS? all worth considering but not essential, except for the phone(s) which can be camera, GPS, and maps as well.
Awesome! Ya that’s the mind set I’m trying to take for this trip. I definitely have the tendency to go extra on stuff so I’m dialing it back. I’ll probably go a little extra on my kitchen/food setup. (We like to cook)

sar6008

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Perdido Key, FL
Member #

What are your food, refrigeration plans ?

Otherwise, when are you going.
Thinking heat, shade, rain, sleeping, AC vs Heating..... Shelter from rain especially when cooking.
I’m going with the fridge option for sure. (Haven’t decided on brand yet)

We are planning on going in June if my vacation syncs up right so I’ll definitely have an awning, I’m thinking I want to go with the 270 degree.
One of my hurdles of going to be staying cool at night.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I’m a hot sleeper myself, I’ve got the tent system I want in mind. Do you have any recommendations for staying cool at night? What’s out there I can use? Or is just a good ol’ fashioned fan and open tent the best option?
i spent many years just sucking it up and dealing with whatever the conditions were...now the wife and i have a small travel camper that has an a/c unit in it. if it's hot, we definitely take the trailer with the a/c. we also tent and have a camper shell set up for when the weather is cooler and either a 12v fan is plenty, or its cold enough to worry about blankets. a fan in a tent helps some, but when its in the 90s with high humidity, its just miserable without an a/c unit.