Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I was in a van-oriented overland/offroad shop here in Mass last weekend. Just drove by and saw the place so I stopped in.

This is what he had in the shop, a customer's vehicle. Not mine. Maine and Rhode Island are banning these, but so far Mass has not. This is not mine, but it was cool to see one of these "in the flesh"

20211030_122033.jpg

Attachments

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I was in a van-oriented overland/offroad shop here in Mass last weekend. Just drove by and saw the place so I stopped in.

This is what he had in the shop, a customer's vehicle. Not mine. Maine and Rhode Island are banning these, but so far Mass has not. This is not mine, but it was cool to see one of these "in the flesh"

View attachment 214779
That’s pretty cool. Ironically, I just recently cane across a video from TFL discussing Maine banning these vehicles from obtaining registration.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

The Delica is an awesome platform for a small capable overlander. Super popular up in Canada, & has a solid following here in the states.

Once they are able to be imported to the USA (25 year rule) so right now 1996 or older rigs, they seem to triple in price up in Canada. When I lived in Portland OR I knew of two importers who would by 23/24 year rigs for $4/5k & store them until eligible & offer them at $15 to $18k once legal in the states.

Other alternative to the Deli is the Toyota HiAce. Lots of importers in Oregon & Washington.

This star wagon that’s for sale in Portland OR is crazy - 1993 Mitsubishi Delica Starwagon Lifted JDM RHD 4WD diesel import -...

This one is actually a perfect overland set up and price fair - Camperized '94 Mitsubishi Delica L30 Star Wagon High Roof - cars &...

If you use search tempest & put in Delica you can find around 30 plus Delicas or HiAces for sale in the USA each month. Mostly all located in CA, WA, OR. There is another importer who is pretty active out of New Mexico too.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It’s legal under federal law to import them.

States such as Maine and Rhode Island refuse to register them because the vehicles have not been through federal safety testing.
Lemme guess, they also refuse to register your grandfather’s 1931 Ford Model A for the same reason.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
For those in Texas -

Reactions: Sparksalot

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

It’s legal under federal law to import them.

States such as Maine and Rhode Island refuse to register them because the vehicles have not been through federal safety testing.
Lemme guess, they also refuse to register your grandfather’s 1931 Ford Model A for the same reason.
Haha, that irony is mentioned in the video, as well as the fact that motorcycles are inherently more dangerous than any car/truck/van on the road.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Haha, that irony is mentioned in the video, as well as the fact that motorcycles are inherently more dangerous than any car/truck/van on the road.
Now my curiosity is piqued. I’ll have to watch this when I’m off 5he clock.

I first learned of Delicas from English posters on a teardrop forum. Cool vehicles.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Au contraire, mon frere. None of the vehicles from the 1920's through probably the 1960's (say, Ford Model T through Chevy Chevelle) would pass today's safety standards, yet they are domestic and a grandfathered in. Seriously. And these, while accepted federally, are being not only turned away by Maine and RI, but the current registrants are being called and told the registration is being revoked.

Ridiculous.

I do remember the mid 1980's or so, when Toyota had a minivan on the US market called the Previa. I guess if you could find a US version of that, you could start a build

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

Au contraire, mon frere. None of the vehicles from the 1920's through probably the 1960's (say, Ford Model T through Chevy Chevelle) would pass today's safety standards, yet they are domestic and a grandfathered in. Seriously. And these, while accepted federally, are being not only turned away by Maine and RI, but the current registrants are being called and told the registration is being revoked.

Ridiculous.

I do remember the mid 1980's or so, when Toyota had a minivan on the US market called the Previa. I guess if you could find a US version of that, you could start a build

Ahh yes the holy grail AWD Supercharged Mid Engine Previa

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

Ridiculous.

Not a Happy Mainer here. I am worried that it starts to set a precedence. My XJ doesn't have a head restraint for rear passengers. My CJ7 doesn't have airbags. They going to pull that also? If they decide that lane alert and assisted driving are a safety standard then are they going to pull all of our old vehicles.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Not a Happy Mainer here. I am worried that it starts to set a precedence. My XJ doesn't have a head restraint for rear passengers. My CJ7 doesn't have airbags. They going to pull that also? If they decide that lane alert and assisted driving are a safety standard then are they going to pull all of our old vehicles.
No. Those are domestic vehicles. You can still drive your 1964 GTO or '57 Chevy, so you can still drive your XJ and CJ. The Delica is a Foreign produced vehicle for a foreign market, not originally produced for the US market, so at the time of manufacture, they did not have to conform tobUS federal DOT standards, whereas the XJ and CJ did, during their manufacturing runs.