Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Has anyone discovered a carbon steel wok with a folding handle?
This pan works very well as a wok and at this price you can gift it to a friend on the trail if they have eyes on it. most wal-marts have then in stock in the camping area.
the flat bottom heats up very hot and is stable on most burners so no need for a wok ring. after time you will get some build-up around the rivets but SOS can fix that and reseason or just ignore it
Ozark Trail Non-Stick Carbon Steel 9.5" Frying Pan with Collapsible Handle, Black

Reactions: Shahn

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Has anyone discovered a carbon steel wok with a folding handle?
to pack easier, we use a wok with loop handles and then just stack other items in the wok for travel and the loop handles make it easy to put in drawer without a long handle getting in the way.

we have a few pots and pans with folding handles and those probably wouldnt be stable enough for a larger wok. i have the same pan @Kozysnack just posted and it works well as long as i dont overload the pan

1632848409470.png

Reactions: Shahn

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
The one I originally posted is from The Wok Shop. It's a small flat bottomed carbon steel, made in USA.

Attached images: Newly seasoned, packed and unpacked. The red lid is silicone, it also makes a decent pot holder.

They have dozens of different woks many of which are Made in USA (if that matters).

We prefer the single handle for frequent wok action like flipping veges and tossing eggs...

I found the short handled wok packs fine in our Trofast bin along with a number of smaller items to pack around it and in it.

Anyway, I highly recommend at least looking at the wide variety of designs, materials, and sizes that The Wok Shop has to offer.

Attachments

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Shahn

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

We carry a wok in the FJ. Ours is some second hand one we found at a Goodwill that just keeps going. It's so versatile that it has replaced darn near every cooking pan. You can boil water, fry up food and cook steaks etc etc. I hadn't ever contemplated making popcorn with it however. Solid suggestion. We carry a dutch oven otherwise and call it good. Ours has loop handles and sits fine on either the fire pit or our stove.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and dchurch

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I've been binging Kung-Fu movies on YT. I noticed that they use woks for the fire pit when cooking in the home courtyards. Fill it with wood and fire it up!
We've made bao and steamed dumplings on the wok before with a bamboo steamer while in camp. It helps to make all the dumplings ahead of time by dang is it worth it.

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

I've been binging Kung-Fu movies on YT. I noticed that they use woks for the fire pit when cooking in the home courtyards. Fill it with wood and fire it up!
We've made bao and steamed dumplings on the wok before with a bamboo steamer while in camp. It helps to make all the dumplings ahead of time by dang is it worth it.
My mouth is watering just reading about it

lowrider

Rank III

Contributor III

Athol, Idaho, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Dickey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRML
Service Branch
USAF
I just got a 12" Cast Iron with double handles. I've used it twice in the house and it's just fine with brushed on grape seed oil. I cut up some chicken thighs in bite size pieces and mixed with japan noodles, soy, mild peppers, onions and some ginger...likes it. Cheap at Amazon.

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
That's great, hey if you haven't discovered these yet they are a must for easy cleaning of woks, grills, dutch oven... I am dead serious. They themselves are super easy to clean, unlike brushes, and other scrubbers. https://a.co/d/eWynJ5X

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
just bought this 8" a few weeks ago and really like it. lodge is always great quality and the size is perfect for single dishes or camping...
when it comes to putting a sear on slices of SPAM, i wont trust anything else other than carbon steel or cast iron

Last edited:
Reactions: Kozysnack