The Wanderer- Off Road Trailer Build

• HTML tutorial

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

After a run in with a flash flood and having to do a untimely river extraction on some of the members of our party on our last outing a change is in order. I have decided that my truck will no longer be set up as base camp. Had a pretty some close calls that I wasn't set up for and I don't like that.

Off-road Trailer build is happening!

Trailer build list to Keep me on track.

3500# 6x5.5" lug pattern axle
(6/15/17 picked up.)

IMG_3506.JPG

(6/19/17 Changed studs in trailer hubs to same thread as truck: Dorman 610-384)

IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG

(6/19/17 assembled wheel hubs on axle)

IMG_0039.JPG IMG_0043.JPG

2"x3" rectangular tube frame
(6/17/16 Material picked up )

Tacoma suspension
(6/23/17 shackles received)
(6/25/17 Tacoma springs, u-bolt plates and u-bolts picked up)

IMG_3537.JPG

High angle hitch coupler
(Researching weather its cheaper to build or buy.)

Full size tires same as Truck

Departure angle same as truck or less

Hitch and truck frame level when loaded

Adjustable height RTT mount

270* awning
(6/17/17 ordered 10yards tan 70d 2oz ripstop )
(6/19/17made arrangements with http://www.ohenrytents.com/ For awning build)
(6/23/17 canopy material is on site.)
IMG_3534.JPG

Lockable doors & gate

3500w generator 110-220v
(purchased before hand)

12v dual battery setup with solar

LED lighting end to end, area lighting

On board water 20-40 gallons, heated?

Kitchen area with fridge

Table storage easy access

Detachable/folding/reversible tongue ?

Stabilizers and retractable jack.

Swing out tire carrier

(Looking for Tacoma spindles have a crazy idea.)

Lift?/recovery points

Rear winch

dry storage area

List will grow as I go so stay tuned. Laterz!

Last edited:

Johnnie Canuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yes!! A real ground-up build! I also got some canvas sourced to make my own awning. Its way bigger, way stronger and way cheaper then a brand name from the market. So looking forward to what you do next!

Reactions: Red Beard

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Yes!! A real ground-up build! I also got some canvas sourced to make my own awning. Its way bigger, way stronger and way cheaper then a brand name from the market. So looking forward to what you do next!
I fabricate for a living because it is what I love to do and if you love what you do you will never work a day in your life. I am also pretty picky about how things are built and kind of tight with my folding money. If I can build it cheaper than I can buy it that is exactly what I do.

Another thing I am doing with this build is incorporating as many Spare components for the truck as I can into the trailer. If I break something on the truck suspension I can cannibalize the trailer and get the truck rolling again. I can always come back for the trailer.

theheineken

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sheridan, Wyo.
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Hein
Member #

Definitely check out the BAL Series C jacks for stabilizing, I'm loving them on my trailer and they'll stow better and reach down further than most jacks I've seen on the web.

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Definitely check out the BAL Series C jacks for stabilizing, I'm loving them on my trailer and they'll stow better and reach down further than most jacks I've seen on the web.

Thanks for the information I'll look into them. I do have a possible solution to this already rolling around in my head as well.

Johnnie Canuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I fabricate for a living because it is what I love to do and if you love what you do you will never work a day in your life. I am also pretty picky about how things are built and kind of tight with my folding money. If I can build it cheaper than I can buy it that is exactly what I do.

Another thing I am doing with this build is incorporating as many Spare components for the truck as I can into the trailer. If I break something on the truck suspension I can cannibalize the trailer and get the truck rolling again. I can always come back for the trailer.
I totally agree! Im lucky enough to do custom fabrication on trucks for a living, and as my hobby. You should check out my trailer and rig build threads. Looking forward from more from this thread!

Reactions: Red Beard

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Well the garage is cleaned and I got all my measurements laid out today. I think that is a good place to stop for the day. Now it's taco time.
IMG_3739.JPG

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Ok I finally set down today and drew up some rough plans on my trailer. Up until now they have just been bouncing around in my head. I'll take these and get with my buddy with the plasma table and get the .dxf files drawn up and hopefully I'll get to get some more done on it. Today I'm down with my on going neck problems so that has put a damper on things. Might have over done it yesterday.

Still try to decide if I want to skin it in riveted smooth aluminum or welded light gauge steel. What do y'all think.IMG_0140.JPGIMG_0141.JPG

Reactions: Vyscera

Johnnie Canuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Usually id say aluminum. But steel in this case. All those rivets would have to be sealed with silicone or something else. I had a few riveted things on my trailer for its first run that leaked a little. Now everything is bolted and sealed.
Wats your plans the back-end? Hinged door? Tailgate door?

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Usually id say aluminum. But steel in this case. All those rivets would have to be sealed with silicone or something else. I had a few riveted things on my trailer for its first run that leaked a little. Now everything is bolted and sealed.
Wats your plans the back-end? Hinged door? Tailgate door?
Yeah I'm with you on the rivets and sealing them. I'll probably wind up with welded steel on every thing.

Rear will be a hinged door. Not fond of the drop down gate.

pierceg

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missoula, MT
Member #

Wishing I had access to a plasma table.
I cut all my stuff with a band saw.
Its a process.

Your off to a great start.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

After a run in with a flash flood and having to do a untimely river extraction on some of the members of our party on our last outing a change is in order. I have decided that my truck will no longer be set up as base camp. Had a pretty some close calls that I wasn't set up for and I don't like that.

Off-road Trailer build is happening!

Trailer build list to Keep me on track.

3500# 6x5.5" lug pattern axle
(6/15/17 picked up.)

View attachment 28536

(6/19/17 Changed studs in trailer hubs to same thread as truck: Dorman 610-384)

View attachment 28539
View attachment 28540

(6/19/17 assembled wheel hubs on axle)

View attachment 28541 View attachment 28542

2"x3" rectangular tube frame
(6/17/16 Material picked up )

Tacoma suspension
(6/23/17 shackles received)
(6/25/17 Tacoma springs, u-bolt plates and u-bolts picked up)

View attachment 28537

High angle hitch coupler
(Researching weather its cheaper to build or buy.)

Full size tires same as Truck

Departure angle same as truck or less

Hitch and truck frame level when loaded

Adjustable height RTT mount

270* awning
(6/17/17 ordered 10yards tan 70d 2oz ripstop )
(6/19/17made arrangements with http://www.ohenrytents.com/ For awning build)
(6/23/17 canopy material is on site.)
View attachment 28538

Lockable doors & gate

3500w generator 110-220v
(purchased before hand)

12v dual battery setup with solar

LED lighting end to end, area lighting

On board water 20-40 gallons, heated?

Kitchen area with fridge

Table storage easy access

Detachable/folding/reversible tongue ?

Stabilizers and retractable jack.

Swing out tire carrier

(Looking for Tacoma spindles have a crazy idea.)

Lift?/recovery points

Rear winch

dry storage area

List will grow as I go so stay tuned. Laterz!
Water is 8.5 pounds per gallon. Sure you want that much. Water heater get an Eco Temp $120,00 easier. Looks good you're OK on the way

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Water is 8.5 pounds per gallon. Sure you want that much. Water heater get an Eco Temp $120,00 easier. Looks good you're OK on the way

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Yeah the water weight has become a norm for camping for us. We spend 7-12 days 60+ miles down Padre Island 2-3 times a year. It's along drive out at 25 mph to get more fresh water. I am actually dropping my capacity for the trailer build. I won't always fill the tank to capacity. I have always run a large tank and just filled it according to where I am going. Sometimes I just use aquatainers all depends on where when and how many people are in our group. I typically haul 65 gallons for our beach trips. The weight isn't that bad and keeps the wife happy that she can shower off any time she wishes... So I'm good with it.

Old fresh water setup 65 gallon poly tank with surflo on demand 12v pump. IMG_2324.JPG