Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Chirp doesn’t work with Mac
My computer is old enough that I could do the workaround and have it all programmed. I only have the FRS and GMRS channels for now until I get my HAM license since most of our travels will be using those frequencies. One day though I will get my license

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Well I was able to talk the wife into taking our 3 year old and our 3 month old out of town for the weekend. We ended up doing a few miles of the BDR. I bought a Garmin Inreach Mini (finally) so we could get the maps and in the event something happened, we could get help.

We left town on Friday (wayyyyy later than I wanted too) and made it to Bridge of the gods around 5:30. We found a place to camp about 4 miles outside of Carson on a side road off the trail. Once getting camp all packed back up first thing the next morning, we left to see how far we could get. We made it to just outside Wenas after about 12 hours after rolling out that morning. Never in my life did I think I would be able to have two very young kids sitting in a car for almost 12 hours with very, very, minimal breaks.

On sunday we left our campsite around 10. It was a very brisk morning and the wind was just barely starting to blow. Our tent had been good so far. This was our 3rd time using this tent and it ended up breaking on us. It was a Core Equipment 10 person but it was a quick setup and tear down and one of the poles wouldn't collapse. so that was a fun adventure. Once I was able to get everything broken and collapsed, we headed north until we decided we should stop and head home. We ended up making it to ellensburg around 1. Kathryn wanted to make it to Wenatchee but with the way the last few hours were, I knew we wouldn't make it in time to get home, get our dog and have everything setup for work the next day. So we called it quits for the weekend.

I don't think we will make it back out this year to finish the trail but it gives us a good idea what we can expect for next year as well as what we need to change up. This was the first real trip that we had as a whole family and there was quite a bit that we are going to need to change and adjust to make life a little bit easier. I'm trying to talk her into getting a tear drop that we can take with us but thats going to be a little bit of convincing. We are renting one in the Bend area next month for our anniversary so that will be a real test of if we want to pursue that route or if we need to find something else. The company we are renting from is Roverentals.com. If anyone knows anything around the Bend area that we should go visit, I would appreciate it!
Check out Smith Rock State Park near Terrebone.

Sisters is a neat little town NW of Bend, Little art galleries and tourist stores. It is not far from the PCT.

Newberry Volcano national monument is neat, south of Bend.

Tumalo falls hike is nice. 44.03196, -121.56509. Lots of forest roads around there for exploring, of course there are lots of forest roads all around Bend.

Reactions: G.Goodwin

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My computer is old enough that I could do the workaround and have it all programmed. I only have the FRS and GMRS channels for now until I get my HAM license since most of our travels will be using those frequencies. One day though I will get my license
Put in 146.520 and 146.460 as well as WF7S repeater. Even though you don’t have your license you can listen. And a lot of times we (members here in the PNW) will cross repeat between GMRS 15 and 146.460.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Been busy with work lately but I'm wanting to make it over to run Skyline some time in Oct. or early Nov. before the snow starts to fall. I'll probably do it as a day trip and on a Sunday. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post something here before I go. I don't have a for sure date as of now and with harvest going on I won't know when I'm going until the week of. No real plan of which direction or how much of it I'll cover but I would try to make a full day out of it.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Been busy with work lately but I'm wanting to make it over to run Skyline some time in Oct. or early Nov. before the snow starts to fall. I'll probably do it as a day trip and on a Sunday. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post something here before I go. I don't have a for sure date as of now and with harvest going on I won't know when I'm going until the week of. No real plan of which direction or how much of it I'll cover but I would try to make a full day out of it.
Keep us in the loop! I’m off on Sundays. I’ll be out of town the second weekend in Bend and the last weekend I’m leaving the country. So I’m free the 3rd and 17th of October and then the 7th of nov onward to my knowledge. If I can’t make it, let’s hope we can get some plans together for next year

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I am also interested, was thinking of going anyway. Let me know when, hopefully I am off.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
i also would like to meet up with you guys soon. Kallie works at Walmart now and has Wednesdays and Thursdays off, so she won’t be able to make it. But I will keep fallowing this thread if you guys decide to run Skyline, I might try meeting you guys somewhere up there.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I would partake in this. In the same harvest boat though. It is winding down for me and should be my last busy week. Have hauls on Wednesday Thursday and Friday and one to la grande on Sunday. I might be able to swap Sunday to the Saturday prior. That would allow for a Sunday run.

Reactions: M Rose

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Reactions: Ceg

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Nice write up. I have yet to explore that area, withe the exception of the highway, lol.
Looks like a nice variety of rigs too.
Thanks.

This area was new to two of the guys since they are from different parts of Western Washington. It is fun showing people the sites. This area is just north of where I live so we see a lot of it every year. There area many more roads to explore in the Wenas & Wenas Wildlife Area. Part of the WA Backcountry Discover Route Section 2 goes through there. Most of the area has a winter seasonal closure for December to May.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR