Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

My Wife , dog and I are planning on driving the TAT in April. I dont think we are going to go coast to coast. We are planning on jumping on the TAT in Utah and then driving all the way to NC.
A couple of general questions, I currently drive a well built Tacoma, but have been considering selling it for a Power wagon. I am wondering if the Power Wagon would be to big for parts of the trail, especially the eastern portion? In general how long does it take? I know it depends on how many hrs a day you want to drive, more just a general guide line. As I get deeper into the planning, I am sure more questions will follow.
Thanks.

skip371

Rank 0

Contributor I

I did the TAT 3 years ago in a lifted/locked Nissan Xterra from Tennessee to Salida, Colorado. It was a great time, lots of great people on the route. If you see the Morehead Farm in Oklahoma stop and see if anyones around the large garage/barn. 4 generations and amazingly friendly. Camped on the property by invitation. I would say in general I don't recall anywhere in particular that you would have trouble with the power wagon. At the time I traveled there were numerous small bridges that were washed out in the southeast that required frequent rerouting. Water was to high and fast to think about crossing, imagine most of those are fixed by now. Not sure what you are using for maps/gpx files? Same and GPS Kevins are not exactly the same, I had both.
I took 7 days but was really in no hurry. You will have a great time. If I can be of any more help lease feel free to reach out. BTW saw a power wagon on Imogene last July :) so I guess your probably good!!

Reactions: Jgallo1

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Thanks for all the info. I am just getting into the planning. I was going to get the gps maps from Sam. If I come up with any specific question, as i get into the details I will send a message.
Thanks