Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
@Dilldog, the frame is not the right configuration for a truck unless you want a low rider. If you want to use it, it could be done by using a flatter tank that dosent stick up above the frame wells and the truck bed sits level with the top of the Vetty rear frame wells.. Something like an early Mustang tank. The truck will make a nice low rider.
As soon as I got the body off and saw how obnoxious the tank was this popped into my mind. I'm going to try to find a fuel tank that will fit between the frame rails that will sit under the cab, I'm thinking something like a Toyota Corrola tank might be the right size. Anyway I will be mounting the bed right to the frame rails on the rear. Mind you this wont be any kind of work truck, more just a shop truck.
Anyway got a little more today. Engine and transmission are out and the fuel tank and fuel lines are off.
20210123_153009.jpg20210123_153020.jpg20210123_163321.jpg

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I feel like I have been slacking big time on working on the project. Its been really cold so I haven't been too motivated to get out in the shop. Combine that with some other work I have needed to do on my daily, my wife's car and my sister in law's car and well I just haven't had much time. I was however able to get in a few hours today and get the rear suspension pulled apart. It is very cool how these old Corvettes are put together. However as I pull this thing down I am starting to see where I may need to make some modifications to make it a bit more off road capable. The biggest thing I have identified thus far is the rear strut rods. They only allow for 5-6" of suspension travel before the bushing bind. I'm starting to think about making my own strut rods with a hiem joint at the center mount to alleviate the binding. And while I am at it I may as well make them adjustable and get rid of the cam bolt for alignment.

Reactions: Road and M Rose

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey @Dilldog - cool project, man.

I'm an old fan of hot rods in general, Rat Rods in particular, and have a bunch of expertise in the lettering and pin-striping world. Especially when it comes to faux-finishes and making shit look aged, going all the way back to turn of the last century with split-blend lettering with drop shadows, etc. It's how I made my living for years. Got out of it long time ago, when computer graphics started taking over everything and making shit cheap.

My fav stuff though, is often 40s and 50s old truck lettering. Lettering artists of that period knew what they were doing.

Anyway, when I get out that way again, and if your project is anywhere near ready and you're interested, I'll donate some time researching and lettering whatever you want. If you want some period appropriate ol' scuzzy lookin' lettering that looks like it's been around a while through blizzards and sand truck spray.

If not, I'd still love to see what you have going on and help you document it with an interview and pro photography.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
@Road I am going to be going for a more polished look in the paint and with any lettering and striping done. I'm currently thinking of doing a deep high gloss green, like British Racing Green. Also my wife is a graphic designer and I have experience in screen printing and decal making from my AF days so the door decals I am thinking of will be done by us (I'm thinking of some old timey logo of a piston crossed with a torch with the text of SGD (S for my uncle Scott, G for my dad George, and the D for me) Custom Vehicle Fabrication). I will probably end up doing some cream striping on it as well. It has been a few years since I did any pin striping, but I'm sure it will come back to me.
All that said, I would still love to have you out to my place and at least check out the insanity.

Reactions: M Rose and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road I am going to be going for a more polished look in the paint and with any lettering and striping done. I'm currently thinking of doing a deep high gloss green, like British Racing Green. Also my wife is a graphic designer and I have experience in screen printing and decal making from my AF days so the door decals I am thinking of will be done by us (I'm thinking of some old timey logo of a piston crossed with a torch with the text of SGD (S for my uncle Scott, G for my dad George, and the D for me) Custom Vehicle Fabrication). I will probably end up doing some cream striping on it as well. It has been a few years since I did any pin striping, but I'm sure it will come back to me.
All that said, I would still love to have you out to my place and at least check out the insanity.
Sounds great, @Dilldog; deep high gloss British Racing Green, that smooth deep green forest color, will look great, especially with cream striping. A smidge of fire red somewhere in your graphics will bring out both colors in marvelous ways against that green. I saw an old Dodge Powerwagon done in that kind of green, high gloss, at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop Museum (worlds largest truck stop) and fell in love with it. I just kept walking around the truck, losing myself in it.

I have all my old Mack striping brushes and my whole lettering kit intact; books of hand-pounded 23K gold leaf and One-Shot enamel and all. Sometimes I travel with it, thinking I'll find some interesting project. I meant to add to my post that I kinda grew up on Big Daddy Ed Roth & Rat Fink, though not a soul I knew knew anything about him. Not quite the style you're after, I know, though it led me to a whole other world of vehicle mods and possibilities.

If there's any way I can help with anything, happy to do so.

And hell yeah, I'd love to stop by.

Reactions: Dilldog and M Rose

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Well I was able to get more work done today. I got the rear differential and the steering linkage pulled. Next step will be getting one of my tires mounted to do test fitting, then I will pull the front suspension down and remove the rear trailing arms.
As I was wrapping things up a buddy of mine that is into old Fords stopped by, long story short I'm fostering a Ford Model A frame, lol.
20210228_133024.jpg20210228_144010.jpg20210228_144017.jpg20210228_171256.jpg20210228_171302.jpg20210228_171309.jpg

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
It has been a while since I updated this thread as my wife and I are currently rebuilding an old pop up camper.
Anyway this weekend I got my power plant. I ended up going in a different direction due to the cost and weight of the Cummins power plant. So I started looking for a Mercedes Benz OM617. Well this weekend my dad and I hauled ass over to Olympia and grabbed a 1978 300D Mercedes. Shes rough, but the engine runs perfect and we drove it onto the trailer despite the parking brake being seized. So the Ratlander is getting even weirder, it will be powered by an OM617 5 cylinder diesel and will be running a 4 speed MB auto trans...
20210807_135023.jpg

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Well I got the engine and trans out of the donor Benz. I have a gasket kit coming in the mail already so I might start the engine tear down process soon so I can see what else I need to get coming to make sure its 100% before it goes into the 'Vette chassis.
20210815_130516.jpg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Wow, super wild and super cool. Find a way to hide a winch up front, put a locker in the back, and I bet it'll be a helluva Overlander and the right combination of "piss off the purists and intrigue the like-minded weirdos."

-TJ

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I dont think it will get an RTT, not enough space. As for the rear locker, it already has a limited slip with upgraded springs. Not a locker for sure, but it should keep both rears turning quite well.
Anyway, my attention is going to shift back to the trailer build. I will be spending a bit of time pulling parts off of the W123 doner car. There are a TON of still working salvage able parts on it that I hope to sell to fund the Ratlander build.

Reactions: Sparksalot