Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

After some fun converstations about gadgets during the campfires at Abenteuer und Allrad 2018, it seems fun to start this thread and gather all our little gadgets in one place.
Afterall, it are the gadgets that ad that little extra on the trail.

So this is my list:

Please let others enjoy your gadgets and ad them to the list.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Well, i had the Nanopresso but sold it and went back to the old fashioned Bialetti ;)

Regarding the gadgets, excluding the extra batteries to juice up the gopros or cameras and phones, the only "gadget" i usually take with me is a small Bose speaker so i can listen to some music when possible on the camp site :)

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

its a cf19. And yes, it is a bit out of date. Would love to have it upgraded a bit. But then again, it does its job well.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Hey time to make this thread back on the scene as many of us buy gear and sharing our experiences and pros and cons can inspire others.

That was the case when i first met @viveen4wd : i had seen maybe all the reviews possible on YouTube about the JetBoil and really thought i was just fine without it and my stove was doing the job. But then i saw it in action. We used his jetboil everyday on the trail and at the basecamp and this thing was a real game changer. So when i got back home i was 100% sure i needed one and it had became a priority.

It was in my amazon cart and i was about to hit the purchase button when my wife told me "have you considered a copy that would be cheaper ?". I am not a "copy" guy. I am not searching for the lowest price when i buy something i like, but i understood challenging the Jetboil had never been an option and i would be silly to buy the jetboil without considering the whole market offers.

So i went to search for new VS reviews and found the Fire Maple (FMS X2). And here is why i decided to buy it : not because it was cheaper, but because i thought it was even better than the original Jetboil

1) the 1L pot is actually a real liter whereas on the big jetboil it is the maximum volume and it asked to leave an empty space so even you don't REALLY have one liter
2) the pot has a sturdy folding handle and i prefer that a lot VS the soft neoprene handle on the Jetboil
3) the lid is made of transparent plastic, allowing you to control / see the boiling / cooking inside the pot VS the silicon opaque lid of the Jetboil.
4) the stove is shipped with the little metallic thing to adapt the stove to anything else that would not be the original pot, so let's say another pan or frying pan, VS jetboil sells it as a 15€ option.
5) considering the 4 important points leading me to my "ok this thing is better (for me) than the jetboil, the price (59 euros delivered VS 130€ for the Jetboil) led me to the "take my money" button.

Many months of real outdoor use (even cooking potatoes in it) after, i have zero regret and would buy another one if had to. But everything is working nicely as day 1. If you're on a budget, this is the best option. And if you are NOT on a budget but don't care about the brand tag, this is the best option. Only con to me : it is noisier than the Jetboil.

Capture d’écran 2019-08-19 à 16.22.20.png

GeoCampers #4771

Mid Europe Local Expert, France, Belgium
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

Hey time to make this thread back on the scene as many of us buy gear and sharing our experiences and pros and cons can inspire others.

That was the case when i first met @viveen4wd : i had seen maybe all the reviews possible on YouTube about the JetBoil and really thought i was just fine without it and my stove was doing the job. But then i saw it in action. We used his jetboil everyday on the trail and at the basecamp and this thing was a real game changer. So when i got back home i was 100% sure i needed one and it had became a priority.

It was in my amazon cart and i was about to hit the purchase button when my wife told me "have you considered a copy that would be cheaper ?". I am not a "copy" guy. I am not searching for the lowest price when i buy something i like, but i understood challenging the Jetboil had never been an option and i would be silly to buy the jetboil without considering the whole market offers.

So i went to search for new VS reviews and found the Fire Maple (FMS X2). And here is why i decided to buy it : not because it was cheaper, but because i thought it was even better than the original Jetboil

1) the 1L pot is actually a real liter whereas on the big jetboil it is the maximum volume and it asked to leave an empty space so even you don't REALLY have one liter
2) the pot has a sturdy folding handle and i prefer that a lot VS the soft neoprene handle on the Jetboil
3) the lid is made of transparent plastic, allowing you to control / see the boiling / cooking inside the pot VS the silicon opaque lid of the Jetboil.
4) the stove is shipped with the little metallic thing to adapt the stove to anything else that would not be the original pot, so let's say another pan or frying pan, VS jetboil sells it as a 15€ option.
5) considering the 4 important points leading me to my "ok this thing is better (for me) than the jetboil, the price (59 euros delivered VS 130€ for the Jetboil) led me to the "take my money" button.

Many months of real outdoor use (even cooking potatoes in it) after, i have zero regret and would buy another one if had to. But everything is working nicely as day 1. If you're on a budget, this is the best option. And if you are NOT on a budget but don't care about the brand tag, this is the best option. Only con to me : it is noisier than the Jetboil.

A question, I know the new Jetboils have a better regulating system than my older (+5Y) Jetboil, allowing to simmer. Does your "Copy" also is able to simmer? Because for cooking food that is something i realy want and missing richt now.
It would be great if it could. I'm looking to buy a new (2nd one) so I can leafe the old one in my work car for coffee on the road.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

A question, I know the new Jetboils have a better regulating system than my older (+5Y) Jetboil, allowing to simmer. Does your "Copy" also is able to simmer? Because for cooking food that is something i realy want and missing richt now.
It would be great if it could. I'm looking to buy a new (2nd one) so I can leafe the old one in my work car for coffee on the road.
Heat regulation is excellent on the fire maple, yes, you have a very pleasant useful range from minimum to maximum and simmering is just fine indeed :)

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48