Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I built a square drop a few years ago. Every winter I take it apart and store it under a tarp. It rides in a flat deck trailer. This year I'll add a floor and leave it assembled. It should work like a slide in camper so the trailer can be used as an open deck trailer too after the OSB BOX is slid out.

Heres a photo from last summer. Thru the forest fire smoke.
DSC_0075.jpeg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

And all the pieces.
DSCN1400.jpeg

The windows are 1960 1/4" plate glass sliders, no frames. I bedded them in silicone sure they would eventually break but several hundred miles on forestry roads 3 years later...... best free windows ever. SO happy I saved $800. Crikies man, I have not spent $800 yet.

DSCN1401.jpeg

And the roof. 1x framing and semi trailer translucent roofing. It might weigh 40#
DSCN1405.jpeg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

This was a budget build. It came sbout when we demolished an old house and I salvaged two plate glass windows.
For FREE
IMG_1194.jpeg

I already had a trailer with 4' sidewalls so the basics were free.
DSC_0007.jpeg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I looked at lots of trailers but I had one goal no one could supply. I wanted to travel with the doors off and I wanted the doors with me when I needed them, for weather or security, so the front compartment, 14", hangs the doors from TJ hinges.
DSC_0122.jpeg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

It has been a productive 10 days.
Everything inside & out of sight got sanded plus 2 coats of paint.
All the panels are reassembled PLUS glued and screwed witn PL Premium. The box no lomger flexes.
And a floor, 3/4" T&G added in the sleeper and kitchen.

So far, all the paint has been free, using up left overs from the past 10 years.

Assembled upside down in the garage, I spent the morning rolling it out with 2 wheelers, rolling it over with the dreaded farmer jack, lifting the front 3', backing the trailer under, jacking the back up..... and gambling I could just push it fully onto the trailer ... success.... wish I had taken some pictures but....
DSCN1453.jpeg

all the bits & pieces
DSCN1441.jpeg

Half the floor done
DSCN1427.jpeg

Floor fininshed, just paint now
DSCN1431.jpeg

Rightside window/door.... fancy floor
DSCN1447.jpeg

and headboard, storage over
DSCN1446.jpeg

From the kitchen side....I love the translucent semi trailer roofing. $100 for the material off a 10" wide roll.
DSCN1448.jpeg

and more of the storage shelf, bins, sleeper side. All them 2x4s are glued and screwed.
DSCN1450.jpeg

Eventually I need to rebuild and paint the roof frame. I want to build in 2 awnings which hide/store behind a door.
And put a solar panel or two over the kitchen roof.

Next step will be for function, install a big battery with a charge circuit off the Jeep, and a Dometic CRX 80 or 110.
Next year, the roof, awning storage, then the solar.

And maybe a frame mounted propane for a HalfGen & Nuna boiler.
Plus a frame mounted water tank...... water heater.... sink.... pressure system.... shower???

It never ends..... but keeping food cold is number one.

And sometime I want to add 2 fold down tables which will cover/protect the windows on the road.

oh yeah, and the reason I built it, to store the Wrangler doors...
DSCN1444.jpeg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Ready for food !!!!
Kitchen 1.jpeg

The sleeper... a full size mattress on a 1x3 slat frame with a layer of heavy corrugated cardboard to control moisture.
plus two heavy expedition sleeping bags and one three season bag on top, pick how many "layers" you need.
Don't ya love how bright it is under that translucent roofing !! :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
Camp 1.jpg

And SECURITY, Canadian style.
Lets me lock up when away from the camper...
And lets me LOCK the door unlocked whan sleeping.
The last thing I need at 3am is a buddy locking me IN while I'm asleep.

I often sleep with one door open anyway.
Which is why I camp !!!

Security.jpg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I also scaled it. The empty 5x10 Mirage Trailer weighs 710#.
The OSB BOX... as pictured, just the basic BOX weighs 500#.
My TJR can legally tow 2000# I'm pretty sure I'll always be legal.
I will scale it again loaded and ready for a week on a powerline trail.
I rarely overland but I do lots of remote exploring alone at high elevations and love changing valleys following a power line.
DSCN1453.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Prerunner1982

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

A photo from 2017. No light weight plastic here. Heirloom silverware and brass candle sticks are the camping rule.
The plastic goblets are gone.... replaced with pottery for now.
IMG_1370.jpg

Gotta love garage sales !!

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

This shelf is pretty much all my storage. 4 bins. For socks etc, a few shirts, spare jeans, sleep wear & fleece.Plus toiletries.
DSCN1466.jpg

Things like swimwear, sandals, hikers, runners , first aid, water, gatoraid, camera, maps, tools, rain gear stay in the Jeep. Ready even if we drop the trailer.

The board on the main shelf holds the "bar" plus daily stuff. Matches etc. Below it, behind the coolers is a Coleman stove, 1940s vintage and white gas storage. In the space between the "coolers" is a spot for water. The old cooler on the left is the dry box. From crackers to utensils. The Kooltron on the right will get replaced with a Dometic Fridge, likely a CRX 80. And in the summer the front compartment hauls the TJ Doors, but in the off season it could do much more. Things like camp chairs ride in the sleeper, or on the kitchen counter or in the Jeep.

So far I have PLENTY of storage for endless exploring.

I really look forward to "building" the kitchen. 35 years ago I designed restaurant kitchens and along the way a few fly in back country kitchens in skiing, mountaineering country. So far this has been a budget build. Mostly repurposing stuff I already have. The kitchen might blow the budget apart. Refrigeration, solar, battery. An underbody propane tank to feed JetBoil stuff like a Full Gen plus a Luna on the side and instant hot water, plus pump, sink, water tank, sewer tank....

The kitchen could cost more than all the rest added up. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I also scaled it. The empty 5x10 Mirage Trailer weighs 710#.
The OSB BOX... as pictured, just the basic BOX weighs 500#.
My TJR can legally tow 2000# I'm pretty sure I'll always be legal.
I will scale it again loaded and ready for a week on a powerline trail.
yep ^^

I made zero attempts at saving weight. The OSB alone is heavier than any other choice. It is also the cheapest $$$ choice and far more stable than plywood. Simpler to build with than any composite panel. And easy to repair.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I love it. Any idea how much it weighs?
DSCN1502.jpeg

The TJ scales at 4160#
The OSB BOX plus the trailer at 1560#

I just finished a 1700km tour. 1500# and lighter is fabulous in the mountains with a 4.0L TJ. I also tow a work trailer that is 2100#, it can maintain 60mph but you might be down 3 gears and running 4800rpm in the mountains.1500# lets you hit 70mph passing trucks on a mountain 3 lane with ease.

For 500km I ran highway speeds averaging 100km/hr. I averaged 14mpg. Next 500km I ran averaged 85km/hr, Rarely passing, trying to never exceed 100km/hr. And I averaged 18mpg. Building my trailer, I never considered weight. It is sheeted in OSB, the heaviest & cheapest choice. And it is a BOX, zero consideration for aerodynamics.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thank you Billybob for a great review of your trailer. It is very obvious you knew what you wanted and you did it. So glad you shared this review of everything, well done. Wish I knew how to save the info for a later review.
Lanlubber

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Thank you Billybob for a great review of your trailer. It is very obvious you knew what you wanted and you did it. So glad you shared this review of everything, well done. Wish I knew how to save the info for a later review.
Lanlubber
Looking forward to getting to New Mexico, definitely enjoy yer posts.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

View attachment 115337

The TJ scales at 4160#
The OSB BOX plus the trailer at 1560#

I just finished a 1700km tour. 1500# and lighter is fabulous in the mountains with a 4.0L TJ. I also tow a work trailer that is 2100#, it can maintain 60mph but you might be down 3 gears and running 4800rpm in the mountains.1500# lets you hit 70mph passing trucks on a mountain 3 lane with ease.

For 500km I ran highway speeds averaging 100km/hr. I averaged 14mpg. Next 500km I ran averaged 85km/hr, Rarely passing, trying to never exceed 100km/hr. And I averaged 18mpg. Building my trailer, I never considered weight. It is sheeted in OSB, the heaviest & cheapest choice. And it is a BOX, zero consideration for aerodynamics.
I expected much heavier. I'm impressed. I't a great trailer and should serve you well. Congratulations on a great buld.

Enjoy