First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
True.

Here in the US the overland wagon of choice was the Conastoga Wagon. It was massive, makes all of the others downright small. You can't get a good feel for the actual size until you've been next to one or inside one.

How many horses would have pulled that rig

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

My family went from Boston area to Montana via wagon. My great great grandfather brought giant vases in boxes that his wife would not leave behind. Their belongings are in a museum and their house is on historic registry and restored to original. Amazing people.

Reactions: SubeeBen

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

How many horses would have pulled that rig
The smaller version, the one with 5' tall rear wheels needed 4 horses or 2 oxen. The bigger ones needed between 6 to 8 horses (or more) or 4 to 6 oxen (or more).

I got to ride in a restored one back in 1976 and it required a ladder to get in it. The rear wheels were about 8' tall. It was on a cross country trek and was being pulled by 6 Clydesdales with 6 others in reserve.

I recently participated in a cattle drive commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Chisholm trail. There were 10 wagons involved and 2 of those were "prairie schooners". Those are big wagons but could fit inside a Conastoga wagon.

The 1st pic gives an idea how big the horses would of been. I can't remember the name of the breed but these are a special breed used by mounted nights and for hauling aftwards. They pulled one of the schooners.

The last ones are just general pics from the trail.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

My family went from Boston area to Montana via wagon. My great great grandfather brought giant vases in boxes that his wife would not leave behind. Their belongings are in a museum and their house is on historic registry and restored to original. Amazing people.
We've donated a few pieces to a couple museums in re both sides of our family.

We were going to place our home on the State and National register but the maintenance red tape required once done was to restrictive for our taste.

Reactions: Chadlyb

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
The smaller version, the one with 5' tall rear wheels needed 4 horses or 2 oxen. The bigger ones needed between 6 to 8 horses (or more) or 4 to 6 oxen (or more).

I got to ride in a restored one back in 1976 and it required a ladder to get in it. The rear wheels were about 8' tall. It was on a cross country trek and was being pulled by 6 Clydesdales with 6 others in reserve.

I recently participated in a cattle drive commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Chisholm trail. There were 10 wagons involved and 2 of those were "prairie schooners". Those are big wagons but could fit inside a Conastoga wagon.

The 1st pic gives an idea how big the horses would of been. I can't remember the name of the breed but these are a special breed used by mounted nights and for hauling aftwards. They pulled one of the schooners.

They look like suffolk punches. To me my friend keeps them ive been trying to up load some vids of shires and clydales to no avail

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade

My dream is to ride a cattle trail in the usa dream on eh

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
The carts in my pictures were in a sale up in scotland there were 50 plus in a collection built up by a family the last survivour had past and the government wanted his pice of silver there was all manner of heavey horse kit I bought. A few items. Such a shame to watch it split up

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Percherons.lackntan, post: 255370, member: 5907"]They look like suffolk punches. To me my friend keeps them ive been trying to up load some vids of shires and clydales to no avail[/QUOTE]

I could see that. I checked my notes though, these are cross breeds between the Clydesdales and Percheron.

The owner of these two had a pair of full blood Percheron as well, but they did not pull, they were getting up there in age and were only for show.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Percherons.lackntan, post: 255370, member: 5907"]They look like suffolk punches. To me my friend keeps them ive been trying to up load some vids of shires and clydales to no avail
I could see that. I checked my notes though, these are cross breeds between the Clydesdales and Percheron.

The owner of these two had a pair of full blood Percheron as well, but they did not pull, they were getting up there in age and were only for show.[/QUOTE]
lazy them perecherons should have got a real tough breed like the punch lol

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

There were two chuck wagons used, both were awesome.

One was a modern reconstruction but the main one was from the late 1870s to early 1880s. With few exceptions it was 100% original and lovingly maintained.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg image.jpeg i attend a lot of agri shows there is still a lot of interest in the big lads A long may it contiue we just put a statue up in my city to celebrate and honour the cart horses who played such a part in the history Of the uk