The open gate

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

The long dirt road leading to an open gate in the middle of the woods. The gate is red, 3-inch schedule 40 pipe with a large lock drum and several large padlocks.... the gate is wide open and appears to have been that way for a very... very long time. You're trying to burn a route, get through the woodline to the next way. What is your call?

How do you contact the person or entity that may own that land? We called the appraisal district and the local non-emergency number for the sheriff's dept. got our answers this time.

What are some other sources?

Let's hear it!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I would say that it is private property and only open to those who have the codes/keys to the locks. Were there fresh tire tracks on both sides of the gate? With multiple locks then it must be parceled property with a main access point. When I used to work on AT&T cell towers we had multiple locks on the gates due to the fact that there is usually more than 1 cell company at the tower and we each have our own locks, plus the ranchers locks so it was common to see 5 or 6 locks on a gate.

Another option is to always carry bolt cutters - just in case you get trapped on the wrong side of the fence. Lol

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
Around here, especially in the eastern part of the state, an open gate is like an open door, "c'mon in"
Closed but not locked means close it back up behind you
Locked, keep on going.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

ManWithJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Aaa
Member #

Around here (NY) it's ALL either private land or government land. There is no more public land. So we just assume it's someone's property and stay off.

Reactions: jeepers29

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

I've come across this scenario several times. In California and Colorado, there is an abundance of BLM land and private land mixed and matched together. Often, roads are cut through as easements to access both. I try and keep track of where the BLM land is with my map. When I come to a gate, and it's open, I check the map to see where it goes. If it enters private land, but continues onto BLM land, I assume that the road serves as an easement to access the BLM land, especially if the gate is open. I try and stay off of private land as much as I can, and if I have to venture onto private land, I try and get out as quickly as I can.
I go by the same rule of thumb as said above:
...an open gate is like an open door, "c'mon in"
Closed but not locked means close it back up behind you
Locked, keep on going.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I would not enter for 1 simple reason..... what if you need to come back the same way but the gate is now locked?

Best to try and find another route or contact the responsible party before entering. Of course, if there is a Private Property sign I would never enter...

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

No problem. Like I said, I use the chip in my Garmin hand held. It's quite useful when hiking around and checking out public lands. Sometimes knowing you are on a lumber companies land and not land owned by an individual is also nice as well.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

In Norway there are some private roads, which typically lead up from the villages, into the woods / mountains, and are therefore interesting candidates to drive and explore.
Typically rewarded with a fantastic view at the top...

Most of these Private Roads are generally open to the public.
They typically have a sign at the gate, which is usually closed (to stop animals - but not locked).
The sign usually say "Private Road - Pay Toll Fee - Close Gate after Use"
Next to the gate is usually a small box.
Inside the box are forms, a pen and a honesty (payment) box.
Fill in the form (name, date, vehicle registration) and rip-off the receipt stub (with form number) for proof of purchase.
Pay the Road Toll Fee (typically 50-100kr ($5-10), sometimes 150kr ($10-15) into the honesty box (always good to have bag of small change in vehicle).
Some also supply electronic payment options (Account Numbers for bank transfer, if you don't have cash on you at the time - Trust is a big thing in Norway).

If you get stopped by the road owner along the way, they typically just ask:
Are you ok?
Know where you are going?
Did you pay? (almost never ask to see receipt - they trust your reply)
They may provide tips of conditions along the way

Very rare is the case, where you are "not welcome" on these private roads.
In these cases, it usually clearly states this at the gate
"Private Road - No Entry"
So it's quite easy to differentiate where you are welcome, and where you need to stay out.

If you do find yourself on a private road and not welcome, and there was no sign to indicate otherwise, you are usually just asked to leave.
Luckily for us, no guns or serious threats occur.
You just apologies and wish the owner a good day...

As long as you use common sense, pay the small toll fees, and behave sensibly, then you are usually allowed to do a lot in Norway.
Access is seen as a "right" in Norway, with virtually all the mountains, fjords, forests, and roads, accessible to the general public.

Hope this was useful / informative.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

In Texas, nearly all public access has some sort of signage. When there isn't a sign you look for purple paint and gates to determine if it is private. We've got a pretty good network of pavement where country navigation isn't an issue... But we also don't have much gov land.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

In Norway there are some private roads, which typically lead up from the villages, into the woods / mountains, and are therefore interesting candidates to drive and explore.
Typically rewarded with a fantastic view at the top...

Most of these Private Roads are generally open to the public.
They typically have a sign at the gate, which is usually closed (to stop animals - but not locked).
The sign usually say "Private Road - Pay Toll Fee - Close Gate after Use"
Next to the gate is usually a small box.
Inside the box are forms, a pen and a honesty (payment) box.
Fill in the form (name, date, vehicle registration) and rip-off the receipt stub (with form number) for proof of purchase.
Pay the Road Toll Fee (typically 50-100kr ($5-10), sometimes 150kr ($10-15) into the honesty box (always good to have bag of small change in vehicle).
Some also supply electronic payment options (Account Numbers for bank transfer, if you don't have cash on you at the time - Trust is a big thing in Norway).

If you get stopped by the road owner along the way, they typically just ask:
Are you ok?
Know where you are going?
Did you pay? (almost never ask to see receipt - they trust your reply)
They may provide tips of conditions along the way

Very rare is the case, where you are "not welcome" on these private roads.
In these cases, it usually clearly states this at the gate
"Private Road - No Entry"
So it's quite easy to differentiate where you are welcome, and where you need to stay out.

If you do find yourself on a private road and not welcome, and there was no sign to indicate otherwise, you are usually just asked to leave.
Luckily for us, no guns or serious threats occur.
You just apologies and wish the owner a good day...

As long as you use common sense, pay the small toll fees, and behave sensibly, then you are usually allowed to do a lot in Norway.
Access is seen as a "right" in Norway, with virtually all the mountains, fjords, forests, and roads, accessible to the general public.

Hope this was useful / informative.
Been searching for the "exact wording" from the Norwegian Government, to help you plan your trips to Norway:

Norwegian Environment Agency
Brattørkaia 15, NO-7485 Trondheim
Tel. + 47-73580500 – Fax +47-73580501
post@miljodir.nowww.miljodirektoratet.no

THE COMMON RIGHT OF ACCESS
Norway, Sweden and Finland share a very tolerant, liberal and traditional right: the common right of access, the maxim of which is: do not disturb, do not damage and respect people’s peace. The common right of access is held in high regard all over the Nordic countries and is a custom which is conscientiously maintained by the local people. In principle, the common right of access gives all individuals (but not groups) the right to roam freely on common land, that is to say public land, the coastline, beaches, nationally owned forest, mountains and open ground, always provided that neither people nor nature are disturbed or damaged. Visitors from abroad benefit from this common right too. With the more recent development of car and campervan tourism, however, the present custom is that common access may not be enjoyed in any kind of motor vehicle, only on foot. Naturally there are some rules which one must keep to; for example open fire is strictly forbidden from 15th April to 15th September. Show respect for fishing waters, hunting areas, protected plants and, above all, take care of the natural environment, especially in the far north. Remember that in principle no motorised transport (off-road vehicles, motor cycles, camper vans etc.) or off-road bicycles are allowed away from roads and paths. Nature, in the far north especially, is extremely sensitive to damage, disturbance or pollution. At these latitudes, nature regenerates very slowly – if at all.

You will find a wide variety of information about Norway in English at: www.norway.org.uk/www.visitnorway.com

Hope this was useful :)

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Here is Kansas, there is a TON of privately owned land. A lot of it has "public" roads going through them while utilizing the cattle guard/grate as where I'm at is mostly open range in the Flint Hills. Purple paint, as stated from Longshot270, is something we look for among the usual signage to signify private property. Gates around here are another symbol, however, most with open gates in the open range area allow for some thru-traffic. I've almost never ran into any issues with being on private property as it's almost always clearly market or very obvious when the road turns into a crop field.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

we come across lots of gates and employ a similar system as others. open means go. locked means dont. closed but not locked means go but close it behind you. havent been locked in yet. maybe start carrying a "key" of somesort just in case. some gates have key programs where you can sign out a key, use it, then return it. i like that system, if you know who has the key.

Traveler I

So I don't know if this was already talked about but Onxmaps is awesome for hunting as it shows gates and private property. It usually lists property owner names and sometimes phone numbers. I think this app would help a lot of people out. I know its gotten me around gates that were closed due to the Forrest service restricting off highway assess to a certain areas. It has definitely come in handy here in New Mexico where Forrest service is closing a lot of forest service roads. Lucky there is a boat load of BLM.

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
how about this one....

No gate, paved road from public road, crosses over private land, and leads to BLM....

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
A couple of years ago I charted a course across 75 miles of forested dirt road in Montana. I mapped it all out, set waypoints on Google earth and studied the satellite maps to identify any issues. I blazed out one morning on my 1998 XR600R (street plated). I got about 55 miles in, well past the point of no U-turn due to low fuel reserves, when I happened upon a very well built, very locked gate....and I was not on the good side of it. There was no way I was going to get over it, and not enough fuel to go back the way I came. After some time, I finally resorted to taking apart about 40' of barbed wire fence that was keeping some cattle from wandering off. It was enough to drag my bike through. I then spent a while replacing the wire and making sure it was in better condition then when I found it.

The lessons I learned is the need to always be prepared for anything, have tools, and always leave it better then you found it.

I use onx maps now. At the very least it will tell you who's property your trespassing on!

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
In CA, I once went through a gate in the winter time on a road that was groomed and in good shape, but covered in snow. My family and I drove in several miles, played in the snow, had lunch and then in the afternoon, started to head back. On our way out, a Forest Service Razor on Tracks came flying towards us up the hill. They stopped us and said "what the heck are you doing on this snowmobile road in a Jeep?!! How did you get in here???" I told them the gate was wide open at the bottom of the road and drove right in. They actually had me follow them to the gate at the bottom and show them it was open. Upon inspection, they stated because the gate was open, they couldn't cite me for driving on a Snow Mobile ONLY road. Yet, had the gate been closed, I could have been cited. I told them to make sure their gates are locked then and went on my way.

Rule of thumb for CA:
If the green forest service gate is open, go.
If you are going through a gate and it says NO Trespassing, turn around or get permission.
If there is a gate, but unlocked, as said, secure it behind you.

And for the love of God, if there is a snow bank and you can "drive over the gate that is locked" DON'T DO IT!! You are ruining trails for the rest of us ya asshats. :)

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

The National Forests here in AR have many gates. They mainly close these gates during some particular hunting season and keep them open during the off season. If you come to a gate in the forest that is open you are free to go through it as the Forest Rangers check the roads before they lock them. Private land is something different. Purple paint usually marks when the land is private and the owner does not permit access. Also other signs usually point out which land is private and which is for public use. I know there are some debates on some trails that go across short areas of private land where we are free to travel or not. So it is best to have a map/gps and know exactly where you are and which land is which and/or contact local authorities and ask. Like my old pastor used to say, "You have to go for the ask!" So yes, now I'm an ask man.