US Northwest The North Idaho Meet Up is Heading South To Juniper Dunes-Palouse Falls- Rainbow Lake

• HTML tutorial

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
UPDATE POST

The Rally Point has been updated. @Ebbs, Cody, and I pre-ran our route for Saturday and the Snake River location won’t work well, but we did find a nice camping area near Rainbow and Deer Lake. Palouse Falls is a really cool site if you haven’t been before. We will make lunch there and they have a grass area, bathrooms, and picnic tables. Then we head 50 miles to Rainbow Lake where you can fish the hatchery if you like. Vault toilets are available with a short walk. We will circle around in the trees and have a chill night. Sunday we will have a slow morning and you can leave when you need or with the group.

The GPX navigation file is at the bottom of this post to download as well.

Please get your Washington State Discover pass if you don’t have one. An annual pass is $30.

Juniper Dunes
A04F7FED-B246-489A-92BD-3595F13FA643.jpeg

Palouse Falls- last remaining active waterfall from the glacial floods
AFC6874C-69AC-442A-8BEE-FF4291A856E1.jpeg

Rainbow Lake Area
A6800FE3-BEC3-485C-B6FB-5F20555E269B.jpeg6596A785-4D9D-4568-8A7A-F89572BD6FCA.jpeg8E4A16B8-8FCF-4B5D-A05E-366E81DB9245.jpeg

GPX viewer

Attachments

Last edited:

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Sounds good, and I have a ton of wood, so if anyone wants to meet up between now and then, I can supply all the wood we need, just don't have the ability to transport it.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Interesting video with Palouse Falls in the beginning

Aaron Lee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spirit Lake, Idaho, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
Wish we could join you but we’re currently on the Gulf Coast of Texas. We hope to join you when we’re back home on Spirit Lake in April. Have a fun and safe trip!

brewerrob

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Spokane, WA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Brewer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7VKO
Wish I could join you, but that weekend is my main opportunity to write a final paper for a class I'm taking. Gotta be responsible and pass. Looking forward to seeing you folks post some trip photos later!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
See post #2 for the latest update on our trip! The GPX file is there to download as well!

Kjard95

Rank V

Influencer III

Lewiston, ID, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Jardes
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
UPDATE POST

The Rally Point has been updated. @Ebbs, Cody, and I pre-ran our route for Saturday and the Snake River location won’t work well, but we did find a nice camping area near Rainbow and Deer Lake. Palouse Falls is a really cool site if you haven’t been before. We will make lunch there and they have a grass area, bathrooms, and picnic tables. Then we head 50 miles to Rainbow Lake where you can fish the hatchery if you like. Vault toilets are available with a short walk. We will circle around in the trees and have a chill night. Sunday we will have a slow morning and you can leave when you need or with the group.

The GPX navigation file is at the bottom of this post to download as well.

Please get your Washington State Discover pass if you don’t have one. An annual pass is $30.

Juniper Dunes
View attachment 250150

Palouse Falls- last remaining active waterfall from the glacial floods
View attachment 250797

Rainbow Lake Area
View attachment 250793View attachment 250794View attachment 250796

GPX viewer
Sounds like a blast. I’m not able to make the Friday night camp, but I would love to link up at Palouse Falls and go from there if possible.

Reactions: Ebbs and PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Sounds like a blast. I’m not able to make the Friday night camp, but I would love to link up at Palouse Falls and go from there if possible.
Yeah that’s totally fine! Hit the RSVP button and I’ll add you to the email chain for the trip. We will leave Juniper Dunes about 10am and get to Palouse Falls by 11:30 to noon or so. We will have lunch there.

Reactions: Ebbs and Kjard95

Kjard95

Rank V

Influencer III

Lewiston, ID, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Jardes
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Yeah that’s totally fine! Hit the RSVP button and I’ll add you to the email chain for the trip. We will leave Juniper Dunes about 10am and get to Palouse Falls by 11:30 to noon or so. We will have lunch there.
Perfect! See you then!

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I'm out. It was just brought to my attention that I have a prior commitment Saturday afternoon. My youngest son and his wife are having a second child and the gender reveal party is then. Have fun and take lots of pictures.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Are you guys bring the JK or the WJ?
We are planning on the JK as its better setup for winter camping, we typically use the WJ more on the west side of the mountains as it is better suited for overgrown forest service roads with its raptor liner finish and way less stuff on the exterior, and it could use a little love before we start taking it to far away from home again...lol

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Dont forget your dune flags, if you are going to play in juniper dunes.
Do they happen to have a vendor nearby that sells them? have not got around to getting on for the JK yet? Do you happen to know offhand the height from ground and min size it has to be, Might be able to fly one from my firestick antenna on the tire carrier.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
From the BLM website

• You must not operate a motorcycle or ATV/OHV without a safety flag while on BLM lands in the Juniper Dunes. All such vehicles must have a whip mast and a 6-inch x 12-inch red/orange safety flag. Flags may be of pennant, triangle, square, or rectangular shape. Safety flags must be attached within 10 inches of the tip of the whip mast with club or other flags mounted below the safety flag or on another whip. Masts must be a minimum of 6 feet in height/length or industry standard height/length.

There isn't anything really near by.