Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I say no but only because I purchased the 4Runner for the sole purpose of sleeping in the back of it since I didn't want to deal with an RTT, ground tent, or an off-road trailer. There's also a lot to be said about Toyota's reliability although I cannot speak to Ford's reliability since I've never owned one. With that being said, the new Bronco is f'n awesome and I am a huge fan of the classic, boxy styling. It would be a difficult decision for me if I were in the market for a new vehicle.

Robert R Pyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Pine, Klamath County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Pyle
Member #

I say no but only because I purchased the 4Runner for the sole purpose of sleeping in the back of it since I didn't want to deal with an RTT, ground tent, or an off-road trailer. There's also a lot to be said about Toyota's reliability although I cannot speak to Ford's reliability since I've never owned one. With that being said, the new Bronco is f'n awesome and I am a huge fan of the classic, boxy styling. It would be a difficult decision for me if I were in the market for a new vehicle.
I Just bought a 2020 Tacoma back in April and I do believe that a 21 bronco is in my future.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
AI votes yes, because I sold my TJ so I could get a FSB... and now I NEED a New Bronco in my life as well.

Reactions: Brett L.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yes. Jeep needs an engine and a manual trans.

Toyota needs to go back to the drawing boards completely. There's a huge difference between a good, reliable, nice SUV............and what we expect the Bronco to add to that. Toyota needs to wing their balance scales. Less Camry, more Braaaaap.

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
No, but I would add one to the stable.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I say no, because I had the 2.7l engine in my F150 and it died at 75k (and Ford was not helpful). I am happy to be back in a Jeep - 17 years and counting....

No Ford for me in this life anymore.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’m not the biggest ford fan At all but that 2.3 EcoBoost has proven itself internationally for quite a while now as a very reliable robust motor , in some markets the ranger outsells the hilux by a large margin because it’s just a better platform . I think the bronco will do quite well , both Toyota and jeep have been able to live by their name for to long and not actually produce the goods And ford has now shaken up the market so it will be neat to see if this turns out like the muscle car wars of the 60s and 70s with each manufacturer pushing the limits for the enthusiast side of the market and not so much the “ every crossover looks exactly the same “ market

• Haha
Reactions: Werlyb23 and M Rose

SWLands

Rank IV
Investor

Pathfinder III

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6QBJ
I voted maybe, as I am ready to buy my first 4x4. I have a Camry stick shift I love that has to go to make space for the 4x4. I have owned a good number of Ford trucks, and I will keep my '91 Ford Ranger for work as it is the best truck I ever owned and I usually had Tacoma's.
I have been all over the map on what vehicle I want and I have to say this Bronco is all sorts of attractive. But I am 65 and retiring and I want to nomad as much as offroad and my dithering about vehicles has more to do with my physical realities. If I was 25 I believe I would go for the 4 door Bronco. As it is I will probably buy a 4Runner.
So I don't have one to trade in, but really, I doubt I want to go rock crawling so much. I need to get out there and find myself again. As that happens, who knows, I may trade in the 4Runner in a couple years.

I will also say I think Ford is right on the money with this move. Shit. Just writing this - I want to buy a vehicle in October and not wait until 2021, but now I think I might have to look closer. Oh bugger. I think I better go by the Ford dealer and look closer....grrrrr.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Not a Ford guy, but the truth is, I would be better off with the ifs and "go fast" suspension of the Ford, no matter what I do to the wrangler.
Not so much rock crawling but forest and gravel roads.

The 2,7L engine already screams Europe in my opinion, so we sit back patiently and hope for the best.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm a Chevy guy at heart, and a Jeep guy after that... but I love what I'm seeing/reading with the new Bronco. Perhaps I'm not nearly as biased/brand-loyal as I once was?

Anyway, IMHO Ford KILLED IT with the Bronco (the Bronco Sport, not so much... but who cares?). It's the right size, it has the looks, it has amazing gadgets, it's just - really really good. I suppose the only area where some will say they missed the mark is not having a V8. But I think we all saw that coming since a) it's based on the Ranger platform b) they don't even do a V8 in the Raptor. Ultimately the TI4 and TTV6 are really good engines, and teamed with the 10-speed auto (or the 7-speed stick with a true granny-low that I feel like we haven't seen in forever) it's a great powertrain and probably "just right" for the Bronco range. I'm sure down the road we'll get a Bronco Raptor thing (perhaps w/o the Raptor name... cuz it kind of clashes with Bronco) with the 3.5L TTV6 and big power numbers like the Raptor too.

As for capability, obviously there are those who will say "it should have been a solid front axle." I'm a solid axle guy (see my WJ build) but I don't actually think most buyers need or even want a solid front axle. With front and rear lockers, a real t-case with low range, factory 35" tires, 4.7:1 axle ratios (and 4.71 1st gear in the auto... and 6.59:1 in the stick!!!) factory sliders Ford says will support the vehicle's weight, etc. I think it will be very capable. Of late Ultra4 and KOH rigs (as well as SxSs) have been showing the potential of IFS (and even IRS) in the rocks. For everything other than the rocks, IFS is generally going to be better (that's why my soft-roader and tow rig is a IFS Chevy 2500). IMHO, a Sasquatch-equipped new Bronco will be capable of tackling the Rubicon (especially if Jeep gets automotive "journalists" through there now in stock Gladiators on 33" tires and a 92-mile wheelbase), which I would wager is the high-bar, or perhaps more than 99.99% of potential Wrangler/Bronco buyers will need/want to do.

Now, being a self-proclaimed "Chevy guy" all this makes me think is WTF is GM doing? About the ONLY thing GM has gotten right in a decade are the C8 Corvette and less obviously the ZL1 Camaros (particularly the 1LE). The Camaros still don't sell, but they're truly amazing cars and IMHO good looking... but people just like the Mustang better. What about the 3rd Gen CTS-V? It just got TOO big and TOO expensive. The Gen 2 CTS-V was "just right." And the ATS-V sort of filled the Gen 2 CTS-V gap... but nobody fell in love with the TT V6 (even though it's an amazing engine). But what am I doing babbling about all of these CARS on an Overlanding forum???? Well I think it just points out how BAD GM has missed the mark on EVERYTHING truck/SUV related for a long time now. The 2020 Heavy Duty trucks are somewhat of a disaster with styling that is universally hated (particularly the Chevy's front end and the broken-chicken-wing mirrors on both) and an interior that is light-years behind Ford and RAM. In the SUV area they brought back the almighty Blazer name... for a mid-sized car-based crossover thing. They offer a "Trail Boss" on the 1500 pickups, but I don't think it can even rival the RAM Rebel... let alone a Raptor. GM just has NOTHING going for us off-road enthusiasts. Meanwhile Ford just upped the game ten-fold, and FCA is teasing at a 6.4L Hemi Wrangler. WTF GM, do you not like to sell vehicles?

-TJ

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

GM just has NOTHING going for us off-road enthusiasts.

-TJ
Colorado ZR2, Bison. Capable within their window, but full size has completely let us down.
Unbelievable what they stuck the Blazer name on, directly to your point!

The Ford Ranger packages coming in 2021 are going to tap into GM sales as well. Ranger Super Cab FX4 with stage 2 package...…… has me curious.
Toyota sales hint at the IFS success. But I really think it is because many people have never experienced a coil sprung solid front axle.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Ill be keeping the Suburban cause hauls bunch a peeps, gear and goes lotta places. Plus i can sleep in it. Id be interested in getting the Bronco Sport Badlands for my wifes daily driver though she digs it and looks plenty capable.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Even though I have a 2019 Transit 4x4 with 25k miles I did put a deposit on a new Bronco, it will be a great weekend toy and my sons will enjoy taking out friends in it also.
Love the look, style and my van has the 3.5 Ecoboost and it is very impressive.