Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Not everyone has the space necessary to carry a comprehensive tool kit, one that would cover you in most mechanical emergencies. What 5 tools would you consider most critical to have aboard, the minimalist tool kit (not counting those required to change a tire)? Please list specific tools and the mechanism in which they're carried.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

1: ratchet sets: ratchet carried in a roll up soft pouch and sockets strung together on 550 cord and placed in pocket of soft pouch. Also bring extensions and breaker bar. I carry a 1/4 drive set and 1/2 drive set.
2: screwdrivers: flat and Philips head carried in soft pouch
3: adjustable wrench: carried in soft pouch
4: spare flashlight: carried in soft pouch
5: vehicle jack: stored in rear cargo door
This is just the bare I carry at all times. When I head into the wilderness I carry a more extensive list.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

1. A few wrenches or sockets that are common sizes specific to your vehicle
2. Vice Grips
3. Headlamp (not too bright as you only need to see a few feet)
4. Screwdrivers (flat & Phillips)
5. BFH

I have these (and many more) in my truck all the time, stored in a Pelican case.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I have these (and many more) in my truck all the time, stored in a Pelican case.
I also use a Pelican case as a storage and tool carrier. I can say Im pretty much a minimalist in overlanding, with the exception of first aid, tools and recovery equipment. This is the one area I will not scimp on. Most of the times it not for me. But I have learned that you will always need these three items when you do not carry them.

Reactions: badmnky

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Good responses above. I'd add that gloves are often overlooked and man they can make your job much more fun. Some jobs are easier without, but I will ALWAYS carry gloves in my toolbox!

Reactions: Andrew Kelley

RedSheep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Harpersfield, NY
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Oakley
Member #

If we are talking about only 5 individual tools (not tool sets or multiples of varying sizes)

1) Big F'in Hammer
2) Vice grips
3) Adjustable wrench
4) Big screwdriver(small pry bar)
5) Strong sharp Knife or Leatherman

Wrap them in an old towel and shove under a seat
Seem this is about as minimalistic as you can get

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Think the common theme is a big hammer!! :p

But yeah having a quick set of tools is handy to get you back on the road if you have a small issue

1) small hammer (to knock things back in place)
2) my spanner tool roll (7mm to 21mm)
3) Adjustable (small and large)
4) Socket Set
5) Breaker Bar

DUCKTAPE!!

I usually keep some other bits in a box in the back which is my day to day tools if im out doing work (screwdrivers ect)

Reactions: Tim

ZuLander

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Marcos, Tx
Member #

Good responses above. I'd add that gloves are often overlooked and man they can make your job much more fun. Some jobs are easier without, but I will ALWAYS carry gloves in my toolbox!
And disposable nitrile gloves too! Nothing like grabbing a steering wheel with greasy hands to make an apparently bad day worse!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ZuLander

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Marcos, Tx
Member #

I wish I could get by with a minimalist tool kit. But when you drive a 22 year old rig, you go minimalist in other areas! [emoji23]

Reactions: Graeman

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I have a toolkit that I keep on the harley when I take long trips. It's a "harbor freight special" with screwdrivers, a minimal socket setup, a few wrenches, vice grips and speed pliers. It also has tape, lots of zip ties and a flashlight. It's not a lot, but you can fix quite a few things with just a few tools and some ingenuity. Eventually I'll build out a true truck tool kit I guess, but as of right now it's a new truck and the tools are basic.

1) Small socket set with a few extensions
2) Box end wrench set
3) 1/4 inch bit set with driver(I have a 150 piece set that covers screwdrivers, allen wrenches, torques, and everything else you'll need.
4) Small set of prybars
5) Pliers set
Along with all of that I always have a roll of wire, zip ties, tape (duct and electrical), and a few shop towels. I've been wrenching for almost 20 years now and have been able to be 99% of road side repairs with those few tools.

Sent from my VS987 using OB Talk mobile app

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Ronnie Dahl has a great video on what to bring along with you when going into the outback. Mostly, you need tools that fit your vehicle - SAE tools are worthless on a Toyota. Nowadays a code reader that can delete the check engine light is becoming a must have tool.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I can't decide if this should be five tools are five sets of tools? For everyday use I'd carry;
  1. Wheel brace - actually is that meant under changing a tire? In which case I'd go for a hammer or an axe with a hammer head.
  2. Double ended screwdriver - flat and crosshead
  3. Adjustable spanner
  4. Pliers
  5. Test light for checking electrics
I'd certainly carry more that if I was travelling for any length of time and I'd certainly be backing that toolkit up with a few spares like bulbs and fuses even for everyday use.

Reactions: Kevigizmo

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I can't decide if this should be five tools are five sets of tools? For everyday use I'd carry;
  1. Wheel brace - actually is that meant under changing a tire? In which case I'd go for a hammer or an axe with a hammer head.
  2. Double ended screwdriver - flat and crosshead
  3. Adjustable spanner
  4. Pliers
  5. Test light for checking electrics
I'd certainly carry more that if I was travelling for any length of time and I'd certainly be backing that toolkit up with a few spares like bulbs and fuses even for everyday use.
I've been wondering about revising my list and adding my credit card to the top of it... it's certainly got me out of trouble a few times and not just scrapping the ice of the windscreen!

Reactions: Kevigizmo

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I've been wondering about revising my list and adding my credit card to the top of it... it's certainly got me out of trouble a few times and not just scrapping the ice of the windscreen!

Haha you went ahead and mentioned it then CC [emoji23]

Sent from my VKY-L09 using OB Talk mobile app