Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

How heavy is your truck?
Well, I don't quite own it yet...in the works. My F-250 is far to heavy for this stuff so I'm trading in for a new 4runner. Curb weight is 4750lb and GVWR is 6300lb according to specs. Just trying to plan ahead

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I'm a big fan of having a winch, it has always been one of the first things I change/upgrade on my Jeeps. Barricade winches have worked well for me in the past. 9500 steel cable (still old school. I've pulled a lot of trees off the trail in the past. Here is a picture of one I just put on.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: HankinWI

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Reviving an old thread here...I'm curious if a Warn M8000 would be heavy enough for a new 4runner. I ask because I mostly see 4runner's outfitted with 10k winches, but I really can't find one I like. Most Warn winches are too expensive for me to justify. I've heard to stay away from Warn VR series. Smittybilt X20 seems well liked but the Smittybilt company seems hated. Comeup seems about as expensive as Warn, rather have a Warn. I just can't justify spending over $1000 when I may need it a couple times a year (Navy)...but I refuse to buy something that's unreliable
I use a Smitty XRC 10 Comp with synthetic and I have winched out a vary of size rigs with no problems. My buddy winched me out of a ditch with his Warn 8k winch.

Last edited:

hollonm

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hollon
Member #

I wound up buying a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I have seen the Warn M8000 used on a lot of Jeep’s, but mostly 2 doors. I think I will end up getting a Smittybilt X20 10k...but biting the bullet for a Warn Zeon 10-S or M12000 sounds tax return worthy...I like the idea of a Comeup, but they aren’t any cheaper than a Warn compared side by side

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I'll agree with others that already posted. Warn is my winch of choice and I have a front m8000 and a rear/mid mounted m8000. Thanks to craigslist I am only $400 into all of it and they came with all the wiring I needed. Just a quick cleaned up and regrease now both are good as new. Moral don't be afraid of a good used winch.

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Poor man's winch, powered by elbow grease0300003f.jpg

Last edited:

Deadman Offroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Escondido, CA
Member #

I just installed a ComeUp 12.5 Seal Gen 2 the other day on my Sequioa. I am super stoked with the build quality and I am looking forward to getting some long hard use out it. As a company we are going to be out at the Rebelle Rally next week supporting in any recoveries that may be needed.

IMG_0805.JPG