The Great Chip Shortage / What Happens Next ?

• HTML tutorial

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I know the big three are prioritizing their available chips to the biggest projected sellers for the current market. Ford, I believe for the Bronco and Mustang. GM for their Pickups and SUV's, and Chrys/Fiat for their Ram and Jeeps. Everything else is getting chips as they become available but some models are being released without specific features (such as HD radio) with the option of having them installed later on. Its affecting other industries too though....Cell phones, laptops/tablets, and servers for communication companies and information technology firms. When you look at the supply chain for these chips, you can see that this problem started before the Covid pandemic but was expedited because of it. It will all catch up eventually but this year, 2021, will probably be a slow year for model upgrades in all markets.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

The Ram / Jeep dealers have some inventory, but the Toyota lot in Paducah (KY.) yesterday looked really empty.

I wonder how the pecking order actually works?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Our chevy dealers lot has ebbed and flowed, sometimes they have inventory sometimes the lot is empty. Dodge always seems to have more than enough rams and jeeps on the lot of course maybe that's a sign they aren't selling as much at least around here.

I'm hoping they stop putting all the computers in vehicles or at the very least consolidate the 5-10 different computers into one or two modules so they can be waterproofed much easier

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Our chevy dealers lot has ebbed and flowed, sometimes they have inventory sometimes the lot is empty. Dodge always seems to have more than enough rams and jeeps on the lot of course maybe that's a sign they aren't selling as much at least around here.

I'm hoping they stop putting all the computers in vehicles or at the very least consolidate the 5-10 different computers into one or two modules so they can be waterproofed much easier
Well, you can wish in one hand, and crap in the other, and see which gets filled first.

The amount of technology, computer and chips in cars is never going to go backwards, unless there is a true apocalypse and we have to start all over.

There have been computers in cars since at least the early 1980's and even before that for "anti-skid" and transmissions.

Someone said it well when they said CM has put out cars with missing features like HD Radio and Start / Stop. Ford held back unfinished vehicles. What Stallanis is doing, I'm not sure.

I wonder if GM had the right idea. At least that way they ensure people returning to the dealer later on, to have start stop and HD radio chips installed after the fact. They then have an opportunity to upsell.

Reactions: grubworm