The Future of the Bronco

• HTML tutorial

RyleeG

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I made my first post last week, I was suprised with the feedback about the bronco. lots of love! IMG_6654.jpeg
I'm trying to think a little more about the some things that really need to happen on the old Pumpkin. So heres where I'd like to share and get some advice.

The truck stands on 35 inch BF goodies, I'm pretty sure the PO put on a 4 inch lift but it could be a 6. the fenders were cut to accommodate these crazy fender flares. (not my favorite addition from the PO)IMG_0764.JPG

So here's where I could use the advice, How hard is it to take off the lift kit and go back to stock? in an ideal world the fenders wouldn't have been cut and Id lower it and put on 33s. but since they are cut i think i'll have to stick with 35s so it doesn't look like it has tiny tires. which it kind of looks that way now.

I also think it needs to be re geared. its a 4 speed automatic with the 5.0 in it. the rolling hills on the interstate or big hills on the highway make it shift from overdrive and 3rd a lot. i understand that is an expensive job (quotes from 2k to 3k). So i'd like to reduce the lift and see how the driveshaft angle effects it.

When it comes to steering the truck is all over the place. I've done research and i believe this has to do with the camber? once you lift it high enough it has too much of a vertical angle to allow for tighter steering. yet another reason to remove the lift. I would also like advice on how a less aggressive tire may effect overall handling and power band driving at highway speeds. Do they make a 35x10.50 tire?

I would love to build bumpers for the truck and do some kind of winch in the future as well as a sweet tire carrier/gas can rack on the back. if anyone has any shop drawings on that i have a welder i'd like to take a swing at it.

the interior needs a center console, right now it is just wide open space between the buckets. I've got an idea in my head that would be like a navigation/radio/charging station. Id like to have a dock for my ipad as a media and navigation device as well as some plugs for a small inverter, and a cb set up. Maybe even a secret stash for security when riding around topless.
IMG_2074.JPG
The bane of any bronco's existence is that damn rear window and it rolling down. Ive put in a new motor and greased the gears and made sure the window is back on track, but it still never fails to go so slow you wonder if its going to make it. i'm always waiting for the day that i roll it down and it cant get back up and the truck gets flooded, or i roll it up and cant get it down and all my gear has to go out through the doors. I'm thinking of getting some plexi glass and make a hinged window and leaving the old one down, all the time. i've even though of trying to see if a pickup tailgate would fit and use the plexi glass idea and use a regular t handle lock like a pickup topper.

To summarize i need your help with the following:
How hard/should I remove the lift
Any experience with Re Gearing
Any similar steering issues on other rigs or broncos
Bumper ideas
Different tire performance
interior console ideas
opinions on plexi rear window instead of the roll up feature

thanks for taking the time to read and for any help!

Reactions: PatriotT4R

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

if done right the lift should not affect the driveability at all , check to make sure all your steering bits are in good shape , all your radius arm bushings are in good shape also . Any slop will cause it to wander all over the place . Take some pictures of the suspension components and the radius arm brackets and post them up so we can see what your working with

Reactions: MazeVX

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

The problems you described are typically for lifted solid axle without correction and or no corrections on the steering (drag link flip or something similar)
So I would get much lower lift 2" or so with all components needed to get a proper alignment.

Look at the 285 metric tires its somewhere around 11"width.
I have 285/70r17 on my wrangler jku and it works just fine, it's about 1/2" smaller and 1 1/2" narrower than 33x12.5, better mpg

You can change your original window to a plastic (macrolon) window, it's so much lighter than glass that it probably fixes the problem.
That's just a few thoughts from a jeep guy...
By the way, nice bronco!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I agree with @MazeVX. Replace the lift with something in the 2inch range. You may still find many of the steering components have worn parts that may need replacing.

You can never go wrong with regearing. Your axle should have a label showing the OEM gears. Lots of on line calculators to provide guidance on the best ratio for after market tire size.

RyleeG

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Well I’ve finally broken down for my next improvement. The steering since I got the bronco has been pretty bad. Well really bad. Going down the road in a straight line I could move the steering wheel around 2 inches without changing the direction of the truck. After going through and looking at all the bushings and wiggling the wheels while lifted I finally found the problem. I found that the pitman arm didn’t move when I turned the wheel those 2 inches. What does this mean to me? Steering gear box.

I’ve read a lot on these, basically don’t buy from advanced, Napa, etc. my mechanic friend said to at least buy from bronco graveyard. Then I came across some videos and reviews of redhead gearboxes. Apparently this is the way to go, the hand rebuild each one and use a variety of bearings to eliminate any unwanted travel. They are also the most expensive, but at this point I’m ready to fix my steering for good. I saw the guys building desert trucks and way jacked up mud trucks using them. They even have an option to tap holes for a hydro assist (I don’t plan to do that though so I saved a little money)

Driving around with sloppy steering is not only dangerous but it’s exhausting. I live in the mountains, the winding roads and thin lanes force me to constantly be correcting myself and stay on edge. If this works out the way I want it to, my old bronco will be much more enjoyable to drive and I’ll finally feel comfortable for my girlfriend to drive knowing she will be safe.

Price tag: $401 shipped to my door. There is a core charge of $100 and shipping one way is $35, two ways was $70. I live really close to a recycle junk yard so I figure I can save a little money here, not much but some.

The new part is expected at my house Wednesday this week, that means I’ll have a busy weekend but hopefully be joy riding Sunday! Updatesto come!

RyleeG

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Over the weekend my roommate and I were able to install the new RedHead steering gear box. It was pretty easy, the hardest part was cleaning all the gunk off the frame, and braking the nuts loose on the power steering lines. The pitman arm puller i rented from o'reilly's was not big enough, so I ended up having to use it on the lower attachment of the pitman arm and take out the gear box with the pitman arm attached. After heating it up a little and tapping it here and there she came off with no drama. the new box is pretty impressive. It definitely improved my steering, no more wandering around and constantly correcting the path of the vehicle. But its not as tight of steering as I was hoping. I think what I will do now is dive deeper into inspecting ball joints and all the bushings. I probably need new tie rod ends but they don't look to be too bad. Also i'm not leaking power steering fluid anymore so I don think I will need to change the PS pump right now. I'll be gone for work for the next two weeks but when I get back i'll probably only have time for some routine maintenance stuff to prepare for this summer:

- coolant flush
- oil change
-Brake inspection/new brakes

What I really really want is to get the parts for my tailgate to fix that finally. I'll take a bunch of photos when i do that one because i know everyone fights with that. Any pro tips here would be helpful too!

Reactions: madcratebuilder

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

I made my first post last week, I was suprised with the feedback about the bronco. lots of love! View attachment 70377
I'm trying to think a little more about the some things that really need to happen on the old Pumpkin. So heres where I'd like to share and get some advice.

The truck stands on 35 inch BF goodies, I'm pretty sure the PO put on a 4 inch lift but it could be a 6. the fenders were cut to accommodate these crazy fender flares. (not my favorite addition from the PO)View attachment 70378

So here's where I could use the advice, How hard is it to take off the lift kit and go back to stock? in an ideal world the fenders wouldn't have been cut and Id lower it and put on 33s. but since they are cut i think i'll have to stick with 35s so it doesn't look like it has tiny tires. which it kind of looks that way now.

I also think it needs to be re geared. its a 4 speed automatic with the 5.0 in it. the rolling hills on the interstate or big hills on the highway make it shift from overdrive and 3rd a lot. i understand that is an expensive job (quotes from 2k to 3k). So i'd like to reduce the lift and see how the driveshaft angle effects it.

When it comes to steering the truck is all over the place. I've done research and i believe this has to do with the camber? once you lift it high enough it has too much of a vertical angle to allow for tighter steering. yet another reason to remove the lift. I would also like advice on how a less aggressive tire may effect overall handling and power band driving at highway speeds. Do they make a 35x10.50 tire?

I would love to build bumpers for the truck and do some kind of winch in the future as well as a sweet tire carrier/gas can rack on the back. if anyone has any shop drawings on that i have a welder i'd like to take a swing at it.

the interior needs a center console, right now it is just wide open space between the buckets. I've got an idea in my head that would be like a navigation/radio/charging station. Id like to have a dock for my ipad as a media and navigation device as well as some plugs for a small inverter, and a cb set up. Maybe even a secret stash for security when riding around topless.
View attachment 70380
The bane of any bronco's existence is that damn rear window and it rolling down. Ive put in a new motor and greased the gears and made sure the window is back on track, but it still never fails to go so slow you wonder if its going to make it. i'm always waiting for the day that i roll it down and it cant get back up and the truck gets flooded, or i roll it up and cant get it down and all my gear has to go out through the doors. I'm thinking of getting some plexi glass and make a hinged window and leaving the old one down, all the time. i've even though of trying to see if a pickup tailgate would fit and use the plexi glass idea and use a regular t handle lock like a pickup topper.

To summarize i need your help with the following:
How hard/should I remove the lift
Any experience with Re Gearing
Any similar steering issues on other rigs or broncos
Bumper ideas
Different tire performance
interior console ideas
opinions on plexi rear window instead of the roll up feature

thanks for taking the time to read and for any help!
Hello ... Welcome to the Overland Bound Community ... nice to have you on board! Man does the Bronco bring back some fond memories!