Huezee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Troy, New York
First Name
B
Last Name
H
I just finished reading The River of Doubt (the Roosevelt-Rondon expedition) and watched the Lost City of Z (Percy Fawcett search for a lost city in the Amazon) and it occured to me that there may not be many unexplored areas left on earth.

What are some of the final frontiers left to explore?

So far I've come up with:
  1. the Amazon;
  2. deep oceans;
  3. space;
  4. certain cave systems;
  5. the Darien Gap;
  6. North Sentinel Island;
  7. parts of Siberia and far east Russia;
  8. parts of Myanmar.
Any others?

Huezee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Troy, New York
First Name
B
Last Name
H
I'm a little disappointed that no one has responded... I thought adventure was necessary... otherwise this may be just an off-road RV forum.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I enjoyed watching the Lost City of Z. It prompted me to research Fawcett a bit. Fascinating explorer.

Very few world explorers on this forum, though there are a couple. The last frontier type of exploration you like to explore in literature and film may not be the same sense of adventure others here seek, most of whom seem more gear, rig, and 'overland look' oriented. As this place grows, and fast, more and more here are new to adventure in general and to exploring unknown places further than a few days drive in particular.

Can't expect much for response when you provide a list of frontiers most others would.

Additionally, new posts tend to get pushed down "past the fold" rather quickly on the front page as active, and newer, threads dominate. This question was on the 4th page, for example, when I found it.

Lastly, you didn't give it even a day before being a little disappointed. A ton of people are just finding their way around here--more new, and more active, folks especially during The Big Pause of 2020--and the forum is rather bloated with same topic threads and folks asking similar questions over and over without searching to see if it's been asked and answered before.

Hope you find more folks responding.

Reactions: California Overland

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
And here I thought someone just bought their last Nissan Frontier. :smiley:

This is NOT an expedition forum ................ camping and road tripping at best.

It's the result of the term/word "Overlanding" going through a "Semantic change" in meaning. As a result, it erodes communication when dealing with the world at large.

Last edited:
Reactions: California Overland

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
It is true that there are not many places that are left to be discovered. Northern Canada has huge tracts of land where no man has left a footprint. The "Stan" nations are another vast area which appeals to me to explore. But as a long-time international long-distance truck-driver, I am constantly amazed that there is always someone coming back from the middle of no-where just as you are arriving.

I am not surprised by the lack of response on forums with subjects like this; most contributors are out there doing it and not surfing the net.