Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

So I got the 4X4 bug a year back and decided to buy a rig. After looking at a few options I decided on a 2016 jeep Wrangler JKU. As I have put the miles on her I have found things that would make my trips better and my off-road experience much more enjoyable.

My first outing was a week in Colorado with my boys to visit Pikes Peak. Not long after, I made several weekend trips with my wife where we camped out of the back of my Jeep. The pictures that follow are the evolution of my rig to date. This is after several weekends off-roading, camping, or taking road trip's.

My wife decided that the first thing I should get would be a winch. At least if I get stuck I can pull myself out. The bumper I got for almost nothing from a friend of mine when he upgraded to a better bumper. It has been shortened on both sides to allow greater clearance for climbing up onto obstacles.

A light bar was added for a weekend over landing/trail ride trip we took in the mountains in Oklahoma. I had to make the mount for it myself because I could not buy one that I liked.

When I added the lightbar I also knew I was going to mount a CB radio in my Jeep. I made my own CB mount that I could also put all of my switches on as well as a small first aid kit.

During one weekend adventure I had some trouble climbing around a few large rocks. That meant I needed rock sliders to protect the body of my jeep. After much research I decided on an offbrand because the material thickness was the same as the really expensive ones. Plus, I am on a budget. They have held up really well and have come in to good use.

My wife and I have taken many road trips and have gotten used to sleeping in our car. We decided to figure out a way to carry a bed roll and our gear without having to unload the gear to roll out the bed. The crossbars are mounted to the existing mounting points for the hardtop. They can be unbolted and removed if I need to put larger items in the back of the Jeep.

In the box is all of my recovery gear. When we take trips we will throw all of our gear on top of the frame and strap it down so nothing moves. The bed, blankets, and pillows are all rolled up underneath the gear. When we stop we just fold the backseats down, unroll the bed, and crawl inside to sleep. There is still enough room under our gear for our three dogs to crawl up in and go to sleep.

The next few items I plan to buy will be upgraded front and rear bumpers as well as a cargo rack to hold extra gear. Additionally, I want to replace the tires that are on it with a set of mud terrains so that I can get into some wetter and muddier places without getting stuck. With the 2 1/2 inch rough country lift I currently have I cannot go any taller because my jeep will not fit in the parking garage at work. I have my CB antenna folded over and tied down so that it does not stick up. With that, I only have about a half an inch of clearance. [emoji12]

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
-Nietzsche

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Started work on the Hi Lift jack today. I haven't decided where to mount it yet but I have time. Right now I'm cleaning it up and painting it so the rust is gone.

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
-Nietzsche

Reactions: JCWages and britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I love the aluminum crossbar idea; small light and flexible, adding a platform in my case would be a win-win. I have a hyper black lab/border collie that only chills when she can curl up in a high cozy place, and the 700lb yellow lab could snuggle up with me on the "lower" bunk. Strong work!

Reactions: Veggie Man

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Thanks. It works well for me and my needs. I'm still working on finding gear boxes that'll sit the way I want them to.

My lab hated my car and didn't care much for my wife's Honda Pilot. She LOVES the Jeep though. It's safe to say she's a Jeep dog.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: britz

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Thanks! It was a great deal of satisfaction knowing I can do some of this stuff myself.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Tim

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Quite a bit has changed since my last post. I’ve removed some of the lights and added some the fit my needs a bit better. I’ve also added a Metalcloak lift and full skid plate system, regeared to 4.56’s and added new wheels with 35’s. In the back I added a Smittybilt Atlas bumper and tire carrier, a diy back up camera, and redesigned the diy cargo shelf. This setup has just been tested in Moab on Hells Revenge and in Colorado on Imogene and Ophir. So far so good.

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Quite a bit has changed since my last post. I’ve removed some of the lights and added some the fit my needs a bit better. I’ve also added a Metalcloak lift and full skid plate system, regeared to 4.56’s and added new wheels with 35’s. In the back I added a Smittybilt Atlas bumper and tire carrier, a diy back up camera, and redesigned the diy cargo shelf. This setup has just been tested in Moab on Hells Revenge and in Colorado on Imogene and Ophir. So far so good.
Ok hold on right there. You did ALL of those mods AND tested them out in Moab and you're not posting pictures for us? :tonguewink: