The Big Decision, RTT or Ground Tent

• HTML tutorial

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

This is often a hard decision to make for someone just getting started camping. It can also end in a heated debate among those of us who feel strongly about the choices we've made.

We produced this video with the intent to give newbies practical and honest advice to help them make up their own minds on which one will likely work best for them. We also throw in a few "alternatives" to tents.

It's our hope that some of you find the content helpful.

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

Folsom, Sacramento County, California, United States
First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

We ground tent. This works best for us. We have dogs. One of them doesn’t like even like jumping in the truck much less getting him up a ladder.

The biggest ‘problem” we have is when we go on a group ride everyone seems to have an agenda and needs to get out early. We have made the conscious decision to trade setup and breakdown time for size and the weight of the items we carry. So that means we know we have to be up much earlier to be ready to roll with the group.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I have both a RTT, 5 ground tents, 2 hammocks, and several tarps. Enjoy camping in all of them with each having a different style of camping. Variety being the spice of life and all. Motorcycle folks can relate to this.

Also, very good video with lots of pointers in the selection process.
Blood MTN 1.jpg
Sipsey Trip.jpg
Yankee Boy Basin campsite.jpeg
First pic was Blood Mountain north Georgia with my FJ/Eureka Timberline. Second pic was the Bankhead NF Alabama with my GX470/RTT on a Lowe's trailer. Third pic was Yankee Boy Basin Colorado with my TJ/Dutchwear Hammock.

Different four wheelers and different camping shelters. Enjoyed each trip to the max...you know that spice thing.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Reactions: Wanderlost

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

I'd get a RTT IF I knew I'd never want to take my 4Runner into a parking structure. Unfortunately, I live in a city and that's not an option. If you've got a Subaru or other relatively low vehicle, there's nothing stopping you except the reduced highway mileage.

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

...decision to trade setup and breakdown time for size and the weight of the items we carry...
OzTents make ground tent setups and breakdowns really quick and easy. An additional benefit is that it reduces the center of gravity when it's not on the vehicle. That alone is worth going with a ground tent over an RTT. OC, if your RTT is on a trailer, the point is moot...

Oztent RV5 Canvas Touring Tent - How to setup and pack away - YouTube
I checked out the video. There is no way that tent will fit on my rig. Way too big when folded down. Thanks though.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I checked out the video. There is no way that tent will fit on my rig. Way too big when folded down. Thanks though.
I have the RV-4, it's about 45lbs, but it does fit on my ARB roofrack, though I have to put it in diagonally if I want it to lay flat in the rack. It's definitely not a backpacking tent...

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Always an interesting discussion - but for me an RTT. I can and have a platform in the back of my Discovery that I can sleep on in high winds or heavy rain. But the RTT is my preferred location, I can literally stop anywhere that is mostly level and the Disco fits into, and here in the PNW pine cones, roots, rocks and mud are an issue for ground tents in some cases.

CG is always a good discussion as are dynamic loads, the latter being more critical and almost impossible to find data on. Most of the vehicles I see are somewhat overloaded on the roof, with 100 to 150lbs being a typical dynamic load.

CG issues are largely from the lighter, higher-lifted vehicle crowd, new Jeep owners are the ones I see most often complain about this and it makes sense. They put a lift on the toss a couple of hundred pounds on top, the CG is way higher

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

We have the RV3 Oztent with the zip on front panels. We love it and use it often. But you're right, it's HUGE folded down and very heavy.
And I know that you know what will fit in a FJ Cruiser. We travel with our 2 dogs too.

A Duffield

Rank VI

Advocate I

First Name
Anne
Last Name
Duffield
Member #

I have the RV-4, it's about 45lbs, but it does fit on my ARB roofrack, though I have to put it in diagonally if I want it to lay flat in the rack. It's definitely not a backpacking tent...
We have a FJ Cruiser with a factory rack. We had to McGiver a cross bar to accommodate our box. So no room on the rack. Maybe when we build the platform we can make some changes.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I have both a RTT, 5 ground tents, 2 hammocks, and several tarps. Enjoy camping in all of them with each having a different style of camping. Variety being the spice of life and all. Motorcycle folks can relate to this.

Also, very good video with lots of pointers in the selection process.
View attachment 262086
View attachment 262087
View attachment 262088
First pic was Blood Mountain north Georgia with my FJ/Eureka Timberline. Second pic was the Bankhead NF Alabama with my GX470/RTT on a Lowe's trailer. Third pic was Yankee Boy Basin Colorado with my TJ/Dutchwear Hammock.

Different four wheelers and different camping shelters. Enjoyed each trip to the max...you know that spice thing.
Eureka Timberline is hands down one of the highest value tents you can buy. I bought one used when I was in the army, probably around 2003 or 2004, I've used it extensively in all kinds of conditions, including in a low profile configuration on an army range ex, and the thing is still in use to this day without needing one bit of maintenance. Not a rip to be found anywhere on it.

Reactions: Biker Eagle