The best travel towels I've ever used: Peshtemal Towels

• HTML tutorial

Crazjtk

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ravenna, Michigan
Member #

Towel preference might sound like an odd thing to bring up on an overlanding discussion, but hear me out:

My overland rig is on the small side, and not terribly powerful either. Because of that, I've adopted a backpacker-like mindset regarding saving space and weight in my gear. A while ago, something stood out to me as taking up a surprising amount of space: towels. I know some guys don't bother with a shower on the trail, but I like one if I get the opportunity, and I'd rather not soak my seats or sleeping bag if I wade, swim, or get caught in the rain. After a bit of searching, I found an option that sounded promising, and bought a couple to test at home.

They're called Peshtemal (or Turkish) towels, and they're surprisingly effective. The ones I bought are much larger in area than a beach towel or bath sheet, but take up about half the space when folded. They're plenty absorbent, and they dry out quickly, even if not hung up to dry. The ones I got on Amazon were no more expensive than a nice ordinary towel from Bed Bath and Behind. The only odd thing about them is the texture. They don't feel like a normal towel, more like a slightly coarse sheet. It's not unpleasant, just different. Nevertheless, I totally recommend them for any drying, beach-lounging, or other towel-related needs an Overlander or Intergalactic Hitchhiker might have.

Reactions: Chadlyb and Road

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Although my JKU has TONS of space compared to you, I definitely had to change a lot of things up when downsizing from a Suburban! We now carry a lot of lightweight / compact stuff too. As for towels, we use inexpensive synthetic chamois (think Shamwow) and they work pretty well..

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Towel preference might sound like an odd thing to bring up on an overlanding discussion, but hear me out:

My overland rig is on the small side, and not terribly powerful either. Because of that, I've adopted a backpacker-like mindset regarding saving space and weight in my gear. A while ago, something stood out to me as taking up a surprising amount of space: towels. I know some guys don't bother with a shower on the trail, but I like one if I get the opportunity, and I'd rather not soak my seats or sleeping bag if I wade, swim, or get caught in the rain. After a bit of searching, I found an option that sounded promising, and bought a couple to test at home.

They're called Peshtemal (or Turkish) towels, and they're surprisingly effective. The ones I bought are much larger in area than a beach towel or bath sheet, but take up about half the space when folded. They're plenty absorbent, and they dry out quickly, even if not hung up to dry. The ones I got on Amazon were no more expensive than a nice ordinary towel from Bed Bath and Behind. The only odd thing about them is the texture. They don't feel like a normal towel, more like a slightly coarse sheet. It's not unpleasant, just different. Nevertheless, I totally recommend them for any drying, beach-lounging, or other towel-related needs an Overlander or Intergalactic Hitchhiker might have.
Just ordered one, I think 39"x70", and appreciate the reminder!

We had towels like these when I was a kid in Europe and would use them for everything from beach towels to car blankets to walls for our forts. Looks like there is a bit of variety in quality and pricing, so I ordered sort of a mid-priced one with more positive reviews than some of the less expensive. Then I'll get a couple more if I like this one.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Crazjtk

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ravenna, Michigan
Member #

Well, Norwex towels are like 3x the price of a Peshtemal towel online. I'm not a fan of microfiber towels either. I also don't like supporting multilevel marketing schemes...