The ATPT

Rank III

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Pittman
1ABA3A7F-F114-4F92-9292-0519FFF6CD93.jpeg 09055A11-809A-4B23-9CB1-972C01055903.jpeg The All Terrain (insert last name starting with “P”) Transport. Named by the kids who enjoy Star Wars. Started as a plane old commuter van owned by the government and only had 17 K miles. So I picked it up thinking it would be well maintained and need little work on the bones. I was wrong , the transmission went out soon after the purchase so I thought I would save money by having the transmission shop not only re-building the transmission but also adding the transfer case now for the eventual 4wd conversation. Little did I know what a can of worms I just opened, the shop owner thought it would more straightforward as well but when the transfer case was installed it hit the factory fuel tank. So the tank came out , cut down and welded back together, and with the purchase of a new cross member I now have a 2wd van with a transfer case ready for the eventual 4wd conversion, that took 8-10 weeks to get back. By now my wonderful wife has her doubts about the whole project but she stays on board. This is how it stays for the next 6 months

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

UtahRnr

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Utah
View attachment 88247View attachment 88246 The All Terrain (insert last name starting with “P”) Transport. Named by the kids who enjoy Star Wars. Started as a plane old commuter van owned by the government and only had 17 K miles. So I picked it up thinking it would be well maintained and need little work on the bones. I was wrong , the transmission went out soon after the purchase so I thought I would save money by having the transmission shop not only re-building the transmission but also adding the transfer case now for the eventual 4wd conversation. Little did I know what a can of worms I just opened, the shop owner thought it would more straightforward as well but when the transfer case was installed it hit the factory fuel tank. So the tank came out , cut down and welded back together, and with the purchase of a new cross member I now have a 2wd van with a transfer case ready for the eventual 4wd conversion, that took 8-10 weeks to get back. By now my wonderful wife has her doubts about the whole project but she stays on board. This is how it stays for the next 6 months

HOLY CRAP. have a bunch of kids, and have personally considered going this route in the past, but I chickened out. You sir, are brave indeed. I'm subbing to this thread right now.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

yeah that's the Ford part no. Looks like the model no. trans you have is the 4r75e. They are typically fine in the half-ton applications, but can be beefed up considerably.

The ATPT

Rank III

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Pittman
yeah that's the Ford part no. Looks like the model no. trans you have is the 4r75e. They are typically fine in the half-ton applications, but can be beefed up considerably.
Yeh I am having the new one beefed up considerable, 10,000 lb towing capacity. Hopefully this will be the last time

NateDCo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Deveaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF6MNN
Very cool buildup! I was thinking to myself that this big ford vans would probably be pretty good (and comfortable) overlanding. Yours looks pretty awesome!

The ATPT

Rank III

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Pittman
Took the ATPT out on our first adventure since the new transmission, it did not feel right still ,s tarting off it felt like I was in second gear until the rpm's were up then felt fine. I am not sure what could be wrong, but we still had fun.

Attachments

Reactions: NateDCo