RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Hello everyone. Took a few days to ride around the Fredericksburg and Llano area. The ride was mostly through ranch roads and county roads mostly dirt and gravel but it was nice to see the wildlife and some of the exotic animals on the ranches. Along the route we detoured to Coopers BBQ while in Llano. Great place to eat family style at one long table.

We had several small water crossings before we arrived at the James River, That crossing was about 300 to 400 feet across and 12 to 18 in depth. We setup camp at Buchanan Dam on Saturday night. Low temperature for the evening was around 30 degrees.

Sunday the group rode out to Colorado Bend State Park. We left our four wheel drives behind in favor of the 2 feet. After a 2 to 2.5 mile hike we ended up on the Colorado River. The water was cold and slow moving but the views were great. This is defiantly a return location to swim in the Texas summer. Texas is a great place to visit and a lot of history to be seen.

The Alamo was a side trip for Will and I. We encourage our kids to see as much of our country and our historical sites as possible. A book just can't capture what they have seen. So i'll post a couple pictures we have below. The picture on the left is the pit they serve you from at Coopers. The picture on the right is the water crossing at the James River and the bottom is the sunrise at Buchanan Lake.
index (1).png 20171030_142700.jpg 20171030_141837.jpg Thanks for checking out our post.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I was in Fredericksburg Friday, it got cold up there.

Did y'all stay at black rock, the LCRA park on Buchanan?

AAV

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bulverde, TX
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
V
Member #

Hello everyone. Took a few days to ride around the Fredericksburg and Llano area. The ride was mostly through ranch roads and county roads mostly dirt and gravel but it was nice to see the wildlife and some of the exotic animals on the ranches. Along the route we detoured to Coopers BBQ while in Llano. Great place to eat family style at one long table.

We had several small water crossings before we arrived at the James River, That crossing was about 300 to 400 feet across and 12 to 18 in depth. We setup camp at Buchanan Dam on Saturday night. Low temperature for the evening was around 30 degrees.

Sunday the group rode out to Colorado Bend State Park. We left our four wheel drives behind in favor of the 2 feet. After a 2 to 2.5 mile hike we ended up on the Colorado River. The water was cold and slow moving but the views were great. This is defiantly a return location to swim in the Texas summer. Texas is a great place to visit and a lot of history to be seen.

The Alamo was a side trip for Will and I. We encourage our kids to see as much of our country and our historical sites as possible. A book just can't capture what they have seen. So i'll post a couple pictures we have below. The picture on the left is the pit they serve you from at Coopers. The picture on the right is the water crossing at the James River and the bottom is the sunrise at Buchanan Lake.
View attachment 38420 View attachment 38422 View attachment 38423 Thanks for checking out our post.
Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G935T using OB Talk mobile app

CameronDallaire

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

St.augustine
Member #

Don't know if your still watching this thread but I'm routing a voyage to Cali from Florida and I want to take this route. Any recollection of where these crossings were? I see where the llano
And the James meet up so I'm guessing it's around that area? Thank!

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I’m doing a Jeep Jamboree in Llano in March. I’ll be checking these areas out too. Thanks for sharing.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Sorry for sending the same message twice haha. I'll be there in may unfortunately:(

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Bummer. This is my first year doing this one but I’ve heard nothing but good about it. There are lots of big boulders. I’ll have a day or two to kill there too so I’ll be on the lookout for other stuff. If I come across anything buzzworthy, I’ll report back.

Reactions: CameronDallaire

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Don't know if your still watching this thread but I'm routing a voyage to Cali from Florida and I want to take this route. Any recollection of where these crossings were? I see where the llano
And the James meet up so I'm guessing it's around that area? Thank!
I will see if i have the waypoints in my gps. If not i will ask the trip leader if could get me the info and get it posted up.