• HTML tutorial

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zlSc40jElcqY.kcXQUcqZsung

"Several ways to do this, but my version, continuing on from 16: R on 16, L on cr113 (rusty roof house or store on R just past), (pass 114, 113A) L on cr112, L on fm2323, R on cr110 (mail & utility boxes on R just past), C L on cr110/House Mountain to Loyal Valley, L on 2242, L on s87, R on Threadgill Creek Rd (mail boxes before, 87 sign after), to fm783, L on rr783 immediate R on Giestweidt, L on Onion Creek Road, R on Salt Branch Road/Loop/Eckert, R on James River Rd, L on fm2389, L on 1723, L on 87 to Mason, (L in E Rainey St connects to 1871) L on fm1871, L on Mill Creek (mail boxes on R) , C on cr4301/430, R on fm385, L on cr420/Blue Mountain Rd, R on cr410, R on fm2169 to Junction, R on fm481, L on fm377 to South Llano River State Park on L."

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

That looks like fun! I just passed through there recently on our way to SPI.

Do you have any pictures from this route?

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Here's a Gallery one of the guys from Texas Overland (Facebook Group) grabbed the last time they ran this route.

I'm going to try to run the route with my wife and daughter again soon. I'll be sure to do a lot more stopping for photos than she did. Will likely also run the GoPro on a timelapse in the truck.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

This is the "choose your own adventure" route options I made for the Texas Hill Country Rendezvous last month.
You can download the .gpx here.

It was a blast. I think I will be organizing a similar meet up through that area in the spring for the wildflowers. It is a gorgeous drive with all the flowers blooming. Lots of crossings and washouts in the spring.

Edit: The pics that Lars posted are from the trip I referenced above.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

This is the "choose your own adventure" route options I made for the Texas Hill Country Rendezvous last month.
You can download the .gpx here.

It was a blast. I think I will be organizing a similar meet up through that area in the spring for the wildflowers. It is a gorgeous drive with all the flowers blooming. Lots of crossings and washouts in the spring.

Edit: The pics that Lars posted are from the trip I referenced above.
Yup, Unfortunately I only made it to the Texas Avid Outdoors event at the end. (two photos of my Breakfast Taco at the end of the gallery.)

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

Why does everyone have their antennas mounted so low? Seems like a waste to run a 5/8th wave cb antenna to mounte most of it below the roof line.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

same here we only have underground parking but I am going to get a mag mount to see if it makes any difference in send/receive ..

Reactions: WUzombies

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Why does everyone have their antennas mounted so low? Seems like a waste to run a 5/8th wave cb antenna to mounte most of it below the roof line.
Also, all mobile radio communications are about compromise. A 1/4 wave CB antenna is 8' long. This works pretty well, but it's difficult to mount on most vehicles. If you mount it high it WILL hit absolutely everything you drive under. Many 5/8wave antennas while generally providing some forward gain, are also shorter. In my case the antenna I run most days is only 24" long. Because of where it's mounted I KNOW it won't transmit as far, or receive as weak of signals as it would if it were a 102" whip mounted on the roof. However for 99% of what I use it for, I'm talking to people within a quarter mile of me.

At 4w AM I suspect I can do that on a 50 ohm dummy load.

Reactions: Cpl J and WUzombies

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
Also, all mobile radio communications are about compromise. A 1/4 wave CB antenna is 8' long. This works pretty well, but it's difficult to mount on most vehicles. If you mount it high it WILL hit absolutely everything you drive under. Many 5/8wave antennas while generally providing some forward gain, are also shorter. In my case the antenna I run most days is only 24" long. Because of where it's mounted I KNOW it won't transmit as far, or receive as weak of signals as it would if it were a 102" whip mounted on the roof. However for 99% of what I use it for, I'm talking to people within a quarter mile of me.

At 4w AM I suspect I can do that on a 50 ohm dummy load.
Yes not to mention that antennas are kinda spendy

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

This are super nice, and I'd like to get two of them for longer overland trips. Just not for rock crawling trips where I spend a lot of time in the trees. :)

Reactions: Cpl J

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
This are super nice, and I'd like to get two of them for longer overland trips. Just not for rock crawling trips where I spend a lot of time in the trees. :)
Yes i know,and i am always afraid the someone is going to steel it. I have mine on the front fender so i can get in the garage.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I have a 1/2 wave Larson duel band
That's the same I'm running. Good antenna.
I also have a 6ft tall Firstik, those aren't that expensive really ($20-30). Not compared to the big antenna for the Wilson Amplifier, which cost about $60.

My antennas are on my roof rack so they're WAY up there. The only one I hit very often is the CB antenna. I might swap that out for a 2ft antenna soon just because it's annoying.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Planning to try this trip in Spring 18. Fredricksburg to James River Rd to Eckert Bat Cave. Anyone interested?