Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
I am intrigued by the idea of a capable electric off-road vehicle to begin with. The torque from independent electric motors should match well out off-road requirements and I like the added touches like adjustable height suspension, integrated locking bed cover (albeit weird angle), and built-in loading ramp on the tailgate. The price is also shockingly affordable, starting at under $40k.
  • I am not sold on the look, but I do think car companies have been playing it safe with designs for a long time and this is certainly futuristic.
    • I wonder if part of the design was to lower production costs with fewer compound curves in the body panels.
  • With Ford's electric F150 around the corner, there will be three trucks on the market with this addition (Ford, Rivian, Tesla)

Pilgrim

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Ottawa, Canada
Member #

The design is one of those love it or hate it types. Count me in the latter group! $40k for the 2WD, then add on $10k per motor to get each additional up to 3. But, how does that work? One for the front and two for each rear? Then add $7k for self-driving. Thx, but I'll stick to my Tacoma.

It's too bad that the rear cargo cover isn't solar.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Let see how it handles water crossings and do you need a insulated rubber wetsuit to do so?
Also aside from the price initally there would still be maintenance needs i'd expect some sort of bearings and bushings are used somewhere.
then there are the batteries how long do those last if they dont end up bursting into flames, are those motors going to last long after being in mud, dust and water?
Its not like the electricity you'd be charging it off isn't created using fossil fuel.

I think the guy is crazy as hell and wouldnt touch his vehicles with a 10ft insulated fiberglass pole.

Pilgrim

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Ottawa, Canada
Member #

Its not like the electricity you'd be charging it off isn't created using fossil fuel.
Up here in Ontario, we have almost no fossil fuel generation facilities anymore. For a population of 15 million people, we have one gas plant, no coal. 60% of our power is nuclear, with most of the rest by hydroelectric, and a small amount of wind and solar.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i'm still holding out for a jet pack....

jp.jpg

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Ha Ha, a DeLoren truck from the 80's and it has to go 88 mph to go any where....and doesn't it need 800 gig-a -watts to charge? they can play with the drive train all they want till they can get a battery pack to last , you can't go every where want. And battery and the manufacture of the vehicles pollute more than a gas or diesel vehicle in a five year lifespan....

pnwcruiser

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Swartz
Member #

I put a deposit on the tri-motor 500+ mile version. I think you need to spend the 20k more expensive dual battery setup for the kind of trips I'm planning. I'm eagerly wanting to know the following:
  • How you can attach a winch
  • Can you mount sliders, or does it already have some sort of built in sacrificial metal rails that can be replaced, to prevent damage to the unibody construction
  • Will the 6-7k actual vehicle weight be a serious problem in soft terrain
And since some of you might be wondering what kind of person might be buying this, I'm a software engineer who loves technology, been mostly backpacking and car camping most my life with an aging stock 2004 4Runner, which I have loving tortured for 240k miles with no major issues.
So why not get the Rivian R1T? Rivian

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJK336; HAM:
I like the technology and concept of the truck, BUT the looks just aren’t for me.

Reactions: 9Mike2