squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
My favorite is cowboy camping under the stars with just a (poly) bag and pad. If weather might be an issue I will set up the tipi. I've been known to set up the tipi and sleep outside of it. If it is too rocky to sleep on the ground I will sleep on the mat in the bed. I do plan for a utility cap eventually.

Reactions: Daryl 32

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I prefer a bag under a small silnylon tarp, but one of my dogs thinks murderers surround us every night and I'm tired of sleeping with a leash on her. Now I sleep in the rig with her and a 700lb lab while the boyfriend snores in a tent, we're all happy.

Last edited:

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

When I travel I have my 100lb Doberman with me, so inside is a bit tight quarters. We use either Hammock or my Oztent RV3. That way I can have my cot and he can have his blanket and matting.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I remember the days when we used to make lean-to's for shelter or use an old boy scout tent that had so many repairs done I don't think there was any original tent left.

Reactions: Ubiety

Moriarty

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stagecoach, NV, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brackett
Member #

If it is just myself, definitely inside the rig. After Overland EXPO 2017, I have slept inside two times. Have not gone out with my wife yet. The tent will be my fall back.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
My favorite is cowboy camping under the stars with just a (poly) bag and pad. If weather might be an issue I will set up the tipi. I've been known to set up the tipi and sleep outside of it. If it is too rocky to sleep on the ground I will sleep on the mat in the bed. I do plan for a utility cap eventually.
"cowboy camping under the stars"
Me too. I use a cot that has a "headboard" to hang your hat, etc., on. If it starts raining I just drape the tarp over the "headboard" and my toes and pull it taught. Water runs off and the tarp is off your face. I use an Eena canvas bed roll with 3 inch foam mattress (Beckel Canvas, Portland OR) and that helps keep you dry/warm as well.

One of my friends has a tipi with stove - which we have been forced to use - and a heated space was really really nice on that trip!

All of that said I am saving for a roof rack and a roof tent - for emergency rain shelter overlanding and to make camping more accessible to my family...

Reactions: squishware

Triston Foster

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Arlington, VA, USA
First Name
Triston
Last Name
Foster
Member #

When I travel I have my 100lb Doberman with me, so inside is a bit tight quarters. We use either Hammock or my Oztent RV3. That way I can have my cot and he can have his blanket and matting.
I've got a Doberman puppy who's already 65 pounds and think she needs all the space wherever she is. I know how you feel. Right now I'm in my 4 person Coleman tent but in my ideal world I would have a RTT

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: RootedWanderers