Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Tent, but that's because my rig is too short for me to be comfortable. It works in a pinch, however.

Reactions: Ubiety

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
Tent camping for sure. I've done enough sleeping in vehicles, and unless I have to, I don't want to do any more. My RTT has been excellent, although I like to ground tent as well. The advantage to the RTT is my wife will go with me, which for me is a bonus. She wasn't big on the idea of ground camping in Florida, or during our trip to Colorado because of animals and the like, but the idea of being up off the ground put her at ease. I never told her that if a bear wants us, he'll just stand on the hood and enjoy his soft taco. Whatever, it's more comfortable than the ground tent, and 100 times more comfortable than sleeping in the driver's seat.

Reactions: Budman and Cymon

B Wild

Rank VII
Supporter
Investor

Creator I

Issaquah, Washington
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hall
Member #

I live in Washington and if it isn't raining the ground is usually wet. RTT can be nice for that, but if you use a footprint / tarp under a ground tent with a rainfly getting wet is rarely a problem. A nice mattress pad doesn't hurt either. Sleeping in a truck bed or canopy can be cold without proper insulation.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

For me it really depends on the circumstances. Right now my wife and I prefer our hammocks, though that isn't always possible (dependant on trees). When we can't sleep in the hammocks we have either a RTT on our trailer, or a ground tent if we don't have our trailer with us. I'm about to build some portable hammock stands and if those work like they should, I will probably be getting rid of our RTT and trailer.

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
What you opinion to go camping.
Sleeping in your trucks bed or tent camping?
When I use the truck I use a truck bed tent, most of the time I'm in the Jeep and use a oversized cot tent. I love the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Ubiety

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

It depends on the situation. If I'm out on a fire or back road, then I sleep in the rig. For me it's more a safety issue. Otherwise, if I feel comfortable where I am I'll use the tent. If I'm with the family, tents are the only option but then again we're going anywhere we're not comfortable staying.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

After some really windy times, my wife and I like to sleep in the truck/shell. Truck is an F250 short bed 6'4" or so and we have two awning on it, 2.5 meter TJM on the passenger side and an Alu-Cab Shadow on the drivers side with walls. So we can sleep out if we want to.

These are from over land last month and we did not use the passenger side wall this time.

Shadow 1.jpg

Shadow 2.jpg

Reactions: Ubiety and Moriarty

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Tent camping ... I have a Kodak Canvas cabin tent. It's a beast to put up by oneself, but totally worth the trouble ...

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Warm. Dry. Flat. Quite. Comfortable. No wind noise. No rain. No bears. I carry a ground tent, in case I roll, wreck, or burn the Jeep (something you should do even with a RTT), but sleeping inside the rig makes Overlanding year round a pleasure. Plus, I just don't want the weight, and wind resistance, of an RTT.

Last edited:

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Warm. Dry. Flat. Quite. Comfortable. No wind noise. No rain. No bears. I carry a ground tent, in case I roll, wreck, or burn the Jeep (something you should do even with a RTT), but sleeping inside makes Overlanding year round a pleasure. Plus, I just don't want the weight, and wind resistance, of an RTT.
Kathy and I love to go out late winter and all of fall - less people when it is cooler/colder. Just us.

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Used to love sleeping in a tent when I was younger. Now I am older and more refined, (and refuse to spend $300K on a motor home) I prefer sleeping in the back of the truck. My boy will be putting his tent on the roof rack. We tested it out; he loves it and both of us are off the ground. Just what works for us.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Kathy and I love to go out late winter and all of fall - less people when it is cooler/colder. Just us.
I love camping on the river in the fall and early spring, sleeping in a tent at night when the temperatures drop into the high 40s/low 50s ... my buddy has a huge camper and I have a Kodiak Canvas cabin tent. We set everything up in the morning and head down to the river to fish. In the heat of the afternoon, we head to the camper and drink, watch movies and nap until the cool of evening comes. We then head back to the river to fish until dark. Night comes and more drinking ensues, around a campfire this time; then, we pass out in the tent, wake up in the morning and do the same thing the next day. Actually, I think what we do can more appropriately be called "glamping."

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

One nice thing about having a full size truck is you can tow a glamper for glamping if you choose to -
Glamping 4.jpg

View attachment 25208
Ernie can bring his big bed too

Glamping 3.jpg

Kathy and some of the kids near the fire on a cold afternoon.

Glamping 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GSDforLife