Tent suggestions

• HTML tutorial

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Hi all,

I had an rei kingdom 4 tent for the past few years that has been great. Unfortunately, last summer it was damaged by wind in Moab. I fixed it, but it was destroyed beyond repair in Moab a couple of weeks ago. So I need a replacement.

Needs:
Fit 2 cots with a little extra room to move around.
Tall enough so changing isn’t a pain.
Strength in wind is very important, in addition to rain, light snow, etc.

Currently considering:
REI Base Camp 6
Cabela’s Alaska Guide 6 tent

Both of these seem to have a stronger geodesic structure and the size I need. Does anyone have experience with either of these tents? Are there any other tents I should be looking at? Thanks!
IMG_0574.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Both that you listed are great tents but in the wind they will still need to be guyed out. Any weight or size restrictions? Budget?

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Yeah, I've definitely learned the value of guy lines in keeping the Kingdom 4 tent alive so long.

No specific weight limit--light enough that one person can easily carry it, load and unload it. I believe these two I was looking at are both under 30lbs.

Packed size should be small enough to fit in the trunk space of a two door Wrangler. So about the size of a big backpacking or carry-on suitcase would be the limit.

I'd say my budget for this tent is <$500 (fitting in with the two tents mentioned), but I would spend a little more if there was a crazy awesome tent I had to have.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’d check out the big Agnes big house 6, you can also get a vestibule for it. The eureka x loft is solid for the price too.

Reactions: JimInBC

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Eureka Titan. Strong as an ox, well ventilated, and sleeps 8 wih gear.

Found ours on a NE craigslist about 7 yrs ago and had it shipped over.

We have now seitched to RTT, but still have the titan just in case.

James

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

I'd say that REI Base Camp is going to be significantly stronger in wind (and rain) than the Kingdom you had. Just a touch shorter, more poles, and better pole geometry. Plus, if you take it to Moab and it fails, you can always return it hassle-free.

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

You might consider Canvascamp. Stable in 70 miles winds (so they indicate), huge interior space, cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold, and you can add a wood stove if you want. What I like most is the warm glow of light that comes through the canvas. Downsides are weight and not packing it wet for more than two days.