Launch Member

Contributor III

Couderay, WI, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Tyler Jr
Member #

I see alot of trailers have adjustable lifts for the tents. What are you all using to lift the tent to adjust the height? Brute strength? Screw Jacks? Electric Jacks? Show some pics of what you are using please. Give suggestions as I'm in the design phase of a trailer build right now and that is the last piece of the puzzle. Thanks!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Four gas struts, one next to each lift point, each rated at 75 lbs lift, for a total of 300lbs lift. The load on my rack, including rack, RTT, and awning is just about 300lbs, so it takes very little effort to raise and lower the rack. I can lift the end of the rack with one hand and re-secure the pin in the upright.

The trick with lifting racks if you want to do it manually, is to be able to lift one end, then the other, which means you have to have a way for the top of all four uprights to pivot, and for two of those uprights to be able to slide a bit in the rack end. Otherwise you have to lift all four points simultaneously, which is almost impossible by oneself if doing it manually and without electric-assisted lift.

XV-2-loaded-900.jpg
Rack in the down position.
xv2_6774-900.jpg
Rack in the raised position.

The inner bar of the uprights slides and can be re-secured with pins once in raised or lowered position. The height variance will be controlled by the distance of your gas strut travel. You can get varying lengths of travel. Mine raises an additional 6-8", which is enough to make it much more comfortable to get in and out of the cargo area when raised, and when lowered puts the top of the RTT below the height of the van for aerodynamics going down the highway. Also creates a lower center of gravity; an important consideration when on a trail.

You can get electric-assist lifts and I considered them for my trailer. In the end, I followed some good advice and stuck with the manual lift. Far easier to lift, lower, or repair if a strut or upright fails in some way when it is manual. If electric, and one fails, will be potentially much more difficult to reapir and you may be stuck in raised or lowered position.

I saw somewhere a guy that rigged an ingenious method of raising/lowering his rack with a cordless drill. He'd rigged a covered chain drive around the inner edge of his trailer which engaged a cog and screw thread at the bottom of each upright. He could drive the chain one way to lift his rack, and the other way to lower.

There are a ton more images of my trailer and rack in action at the link below or on my insta.

Hope that helps in your design thoughts.

Reactions: Dgensheimer

RTyler7071

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Couderay, WI, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Tyler Jr
Member #

Perfect! I thought about electric screw jacks but then thought what would I do if one went bad? I never thought of the gas lifts. I appreciate it and Nice Build!

Reactions: Road

Anvil Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pedee, OR, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
smith
Member #

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and good looking setup. I've got an early one piece CVT tent that I may sell and incorporate another tent option with easier setup and ground clearance. I'm not a fan of a fixed platform, but like the idea of keeping a lower center of gravity while traveling. Here is my current setup as I am converting my Bantam trailer. 20191113_114327.jpeg20190817_100542.jpeg20181108_125911.jpeg