'Tent' for parking garage by day, camping by night?

• HTML tutorial

Rob B

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

So I freelance, and it requires me to drive into LA for meetings and overnights in hotels. It occurred to me that I could head towards Malibu and stay in one of the coastal campgrounds on some of my trips. My question is, what kind of tent would you use? I need to park in a garage during the day, so a rooftop is probably out unless it was super slim. I would also want it to be fairly rapid to deploy. I don't feel like fiddling with things. I looked at those hatch tents, but they don't seem very compelling. I'm kinda drawn to the 2-3 person Marmot or the Northface, but it seems like I might be missing some options..

Vehicle is an Xterra with 2" lift.

I'm reading through other threads now. Man, there are a lot of options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luis Merlo

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I have lived in L.A. all my life and I can tell you not great camping at those Malibu Beaches. They are also not close to anything that is actually in L.A. Malibu Creek State Park is about the only real camping for a vechile. It does have good bathrooms. That said even MCSP is not close to much and you have to factor in L.A. Traffic. That said I do like the REI tents and have several. The Kingman works rather well, but none are a easy quick set up. I have a total 7 ground tents, that I have collected over the years. All are work to set up. I do love my RTT. It is really easy. I need seven feet to clear. Most of the time that is not an issue. Older DTLA buildings that is an issue, not so with newer ones. Because of disable access laws there are almost always options up to eigth feet two inches. Lastly good job on having a German Shepherd! I have two.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Can't go wrong with a hiking type tent. Easy to setup, mine goes up in 2 minutes, and they are easy to pack away. They are small though, but if you're travelling solo that gets my vote. If you go that route, get a heavier one, mines ultralight because I use it for hiking too.

Attachments

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

Seems like a long shot to find something tha that will allow you into parking garages. Here in downtown seattle I can't park in ANY parking garages because they are all a max of 7' I'm 7'9" with the tent and 3" lift on my 4runner.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Rob B

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

There are some pretty slim roof top options by James Baroud, Big Foot Tents, and AutoHome. But when you raise it up to put it in tent mode it will be pretty high. Kamp-Rite makes a pretty nifty tent cot that goes up quick and takes up less space than a traditional tent when deployed. And is quite comfy.

Rob B

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I have lived in L.A. all my life and I can tell you not great camping at those Malibu Beaches. They are also not close to anything that is actually in L.A. Malibu Creek State Park is about the only real camping for a vechile. It does have good bathrooms. That said even MCSP is not close to much and you have to factor in L.A. Traffic. That said I do like the REI tents and have several. The Kingman works rather well, but none are a easy quick set up. I have a total 7 ground tents, that I have collected over the years. All are work to set up. I do love my RTT. It is really easy. I need seven feet to clear. Most of the time that is not an issue. Older DTLA buildings that is an issue, not so with newer ones. Because of disable access laws there are almost always options up to eigth feet two inches. Lastly good job on having a German Shepherd! I have two.
Quick question Gary, I'll be in Santa Monica and when I tested the drive, it was 45 mins to Point Mugu. Are those coastal beaches okay if I don't mind the drive? When I go through on weekday mornings, there seems to be a lot of open spots. I was wondering if I could pitch camp on my way in to LA (I drive from up north on the 1) and come back after the traffic lets up on the PCH, (from the west side of the 405/10). It seems like a hoot in my mind.. but would love to know a local's impression of the idea. I also think Malibu Creek State Park might be my first run. I just don't know if that canyon drive is nuts at 7pm or if there will be an open spot at 8pm on a wed. night.

Rob B

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Seems like a long shot to find something tha that will allow you into parking garages. Here in downtown seattle I can't park in ANY parking garages because they are all a max of 7' I'm 7'9" with the tent and 3" lift on my 4runner.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app
This is what I am inclined to think I will experience too. I know our structure is a bit more than 7', but I suspect not much higher.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Quick question Gary, I'll be in Santa Monica and when I tested the drive, it was 45 mins to Point Mugu. Are those coastal beaches okay if I don't mind the drive? When I go through on weekday mornings, there seems to be a lot of open spots. I was wondering if I could pitch camp on my way in to LA (I drive from up north on the 1) and come back after the traffic lets up on the PCH, (from the west side of the 405/10). It seems like a hoot in my mind.. but would love to know a local's impression of the idea. I also think Malibu Creek State Park might be my first run. I just don't know if that canyon drive is nuts at 7pm or if there will be an open spot at 8pm on a wed. night.
Hi Rob, duing the week it should be OK as long as it is not prior to at 3 day weekend. Pt Mugu has showers with the camp site opposite the ocean. One of the better places to camp. Malibu Creek a bit off your path, but likely the easy to find a site and really good modern facilities, with lots of places to eat close by. There is also a small dog park close to this. Easy access to a lot of really good hiking. Leo Carrillo State Park further away from Santa Monica, tends to get busy quick and somewhat overwhelmed toward and on the weekends. These three are about your only options and they are about an hour drive to Santa Monica. Pt Magu you can eat reasonable at Neptunes Nest, Next would be the Malibu Colony shopping center at about Kanan Dume. Most of the other restaruants in Malibu tend to be $$$$. Santa Monica as I am sure you know is crazy. I still really like Topanga Fish Market. Really traffic is your biggest issue which is always bad on Fridays to about Kanan, sometime further. Camp sites are mostly quiet now in winter, once spring comes it can be anyone guess. FYI my vet is Malibu Coast Animal Hospital at the shopping center at Malibu Canyon Road, if you ever bring your dog and need a vet. Dr Victor, but they are all great vets there. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

About the tents again. I always thoguth these were kind of neat, never used one or seen on in real life, but take a look.
There are several makers and styles

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I would sleep in the back of the Xterra. If it's just for one day, rapid deployment is your idea, just rolling out the sleeping bag would be ideal.

Rob B

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hi Rob, duing the week it should be OK as long as it is not prior to at 3 day weekend. Pt Mugu has showers with the camp site opposite the ocean. One of the better places to camp. Malibu Creek a bit off your path, but likely the easy to find a site and really good modern facilities, with lots of places to eat close by. There is also a small dog park close to this. Easy access to a lot of really good hiking. Leo Carrillo State Park further away from Santa Monica, tends to get busy quick and somewhat overwhelmed toward and on the weekends. These three are about your only options and they are about an hour drive to Santa Monica. Pt Magu you can eat reasonable at Neptunes Nest, Next would be the Malibu Colony shopping center at about Kanan Dume. Most of the other restaruants in Malibu tend to be $$$$. Santa Monica as I am sure you know is crazy. I still really like Topanga Fish Market. Really traffic is your biggest issue which is always bad on Fridays to about Kanan, sometime further. Camp sites are mostly quiet now in winter, once spring comes it can be anyone guess. FYI my vet is Malibu Coast Animal Hospital at the shopping center at Malibu Canyon Road, if you ever bring your dog and need a vet. Dr Victor, but they are all great vets there. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Pro reply! You are the MVP Gary.

Rob B

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I would sleep in the back of the Xterra. If it's just for one day, rapid deployment is your idea, just rolling out the sleeping bag would be ideal.
Didnt really consider that. Could be a good option, although I am 6'4". Testing required!

Reactions: The other Sean