Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hsu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6AVD
Thank you Kent for keeping us updated and out of harms way. We certainly appreciate it! Hope you and your families are safe out there.

Sierra Bound

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Cupertino, CA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hobert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6UYI
On September 19, Sanislaus NF issued an order that appears to me to open up Zone C (low fire danger per the map in the order) to dispersed camping. This seems to be different, and more lenient, than the Eldorado National Forest order which prohibits, through November 30, any camping outside "an open developed campground". I realize that even if disbursed camping is allowed in Stanislaus, open flames are not are allowed, but I just spent $16 on a 500w electric hot plate that I can use with my Jackery to boil water and I'm trying to figure out if I can lawfully disbursed camp in Zone C of Stanislaus and use it. :relieved: Anyone have any direct experience or another interpretation of the Stanislaus order?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
On September 19, Sanislaus NF issued an order that appears to me to open up Zone C (low fire danger per the map in the order) to dispersed camping. This seems to be different, and more lenient, than the Eldorado National Forest order which prohibits, through November 30, any camping outside "an open developed campground". I realize that even if disbursed camping is allowed in Stanislaus, open flames are not are allowed, but I just spent $16 on a 500w electric hot plate that I can use with my Jackery to boil water and I'm trying to figure out if I can lawfully disbursed camp in Zone C of Stanislaus and use it. :relieved: Anyone have any direct experience or another interpretation of the Stanislaus order?
I have read the current forest order STF-16-2020-19 areas A&B described, I am assuming the low fire danger is C not clear on the map. As for the low danger zone being open since it is not actually stated that area reverts back to the next oldest active order.
In order to be perfectly sure the use you are proposing is within the current order you really need to contact the ranger district for clarification. This is the only way to get the correct answer.
#1 Pinecrest Lake Road
Pinecrest, CA 95364
(209) 965-3434

One thing to remember is the Stan was one of the first to enact restrictions under the first forest closure so I would think they would be one of the last to rescind. I hope it is open and you are able to go but please check with the Ranger District first.

Reactions: Sierra Bound

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I was going to camp in the Stanislaus this weekend, but decided not to due to the bad air quality. Might go next weekend instead.

The forest closure document from Sept 19 states the following:

Low Fire Hazard Area (Zone C, generally high elevations; green areas on map)
No campfires, propane or gel fuel campstoves, no smoking materials
No target shooting
Visits to day use areas from dawn to dusk are authorized.
Developed and dispersed camping is authorized.
For a list of open campgrounds visit the Stanislaus National Forest web page at Stanislaus National Forest - Home.

Based on the above it seems that dispersed camping is allowed in zone C (map of the zones). Check the map for details, but to my eye there is a lot of dispersed camping available in places like Mattley Ridge, Corral Hollow, Slickrock, Union/Utica/Spicer Res, the road off 207 (can't remember the name), Deer Valley, Highland Lakes, and others.

+1 to Kent's recommendation to call a ranger station and find out for sure. Fires and propane devices are still prohibited in all dispersed camping areas.

Reactions: Sierra Bound

Sierra Bound

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Cupertino, CA, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hobert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6UYI
I was going to camp in the Stanislaus this weekend, but decided not to due to the bad air quality. Might go next weekend instead.

The forest closure document from Sept 19 states the following:

Based on the above it seems that dispersed camping is allowed in zone C (map of the zones). Check the map for details, but to my eye there is a lot of dispersed camping available in places like Mattley Ridge, Corral Hollow, Slickrock, Union/Utica/Spicer Res, the road off 207 (can't remember the name), Deer Valley, Highland Lakes, and others.

+1 to Kent's recommendation to call a ranger station and find out for sure. Fires and propane devices are still prohibited in all dispersed camping areas.
Thank you @slomatt! Not sure how I missed that!

Reactions: slomatt

Guadamuz_j

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Guadamuz
Member #

Has rhwre been any updates on the NF closures? I've been wanting to go to Boweman lake , but have been unable to find any info. Thanks

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Has rhwre been any updates on the NF closures? I've been wanting to go to Boweman lake , but have been unable to find any info. Thanks
You need to check with the Tahoe NF;

Looks like they are restricting dispersed camping.
No camping outside of developed campgrounds. A list of open, developed campgrounds is provided below. There are two exceptions to this prohibition-
Dispersed camping within the Granite Chief Wilderness is allowed. Dispersed camping within 500 feet of the Pacific Crest Trail is allowed.

Reactions: Guadamuz_j

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
The San Bernardino NF Closures list is here, with hot links to particular sub-orders. Notably for Big Bear, some of the seasonal closures have been left open, presumably due to the lack of rain/snow.

Over the October 12-15 weekend, Big Bear trail traffic was down, but there are still a lot of rigs in town. I passed two of the new Broncos on Skyline Truck Trail, but then saw absolutely nobody using Horse Springs Road /White Mtn from Holcomb Valley to Apple Valley (all this is open and dry).

Reactions: Big Dub