Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
At $300 bucks this would be a huge purchase for me (I support my father) and I want to know do you think it is worth it? I have seen them in use and I like it, cleans up fast, packs down good, but, is it worth it?

And is there anyone who hates theirs? Maybe I can get a good deal buying your cruddy ol tusk that you hate....LOL

Jim

Reactions: darjo242

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
At $300 bucks this would be a huge purchase for me (I support my father) and I want to know do you think it is worth it? I have seen them in use and I like it, cleans up fast, packs down good, but, is it worth it?

And is there anyone who hates theirs? Maybe I can get a good deal buying your cruddy ol tusk that you hate....LOL

Jim
It's a little pricey but worth it.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

There is an excellent thread on here somewhere about making your own for a fraction of the cost. The DIY versions were actually better because the maker could customize the cooking surface. IIRC one guy made his so it could be used as intended, or the top coukd be used on an open fire, other grill or even used to serve the food.

Reactions: John~SWNM

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Here's one thread, but will try to find the main one I'm talking about.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Getting closer...

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL

Jim
Totally worth it. Picked mine up @ Expo West last year for like $250 with tons of extras. Bought mine through Step 22 Gear. Can cook just about anything on it, even reheat leftover pizza.

Reaper_st84

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Getting closer...

Really like my DIYIMG_20190117_175232_360.jpg

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

I just bought the adventure skottle. Havent used it yet but love how compact it is. Its usually on me so the small one is perfect. cant wait to use it this weekend hopefully

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

It's our main cooking surface, and only outdoor cooking option we now bring along. We have a 2-burner stove in the camper for cooking with pots, but the skottle gets used pretty much every camping trip and meal. It wasa well-worth investment for us. I just bought a hose adapter and run it from one of our 10-pound propane tanks, so no more buying the little green bottles over and over again.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Yep, absolutely worth it. Like many others on here, I've used a few other set ups for cooking, and the large open area of the skottle makes it so much easier to prepare more food, and different types of food, all at the same time. You will not regret it.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
I got mine put together. Just changing the legs I will be honest in that I don't have money for the Tembo Tusk and the Southwest Disc burning system was pricey for me. I don't have a shop and I don't weld so I made due with what I had. I live in a major city and I can find new plow discs but the state of CA doesn't allow them shipped here. The hardest part was finding an 18" plow disc but I cleaned it up with distilled vinegar, put a grinder to it and found a mobile welder to weld a patch over the hole. I plan on using it at home so I have a 20lb propane tank (got for free in from my Buy Nothing group) but looking for a 5lb tank to carry outside the Jeep. This is a paella burner but it was inexpensive and this 12" ring is pretty big. Below is a before and after picture.

Attachments

Last edited:

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I got mine put together. Just changing the legs I will be honest in that I don't have money for the Tembo Tusk and the Southwest Disc burning system was pricey for me. I don't have a shop and I don't weld so I made due with what I had. I live in a major city and I can find new plow discs but the state of CA doesn't allow them shipped here. The hardest part was finding an 18" plow disc but I cleaned it up with distilled vinegar, put a grinder to it and found a mobile welder to weld a patch over the hole. I plan on using it at home so I have a 20lb propane tank (got for free in from my Buy Nothing group) but looking for a 5lb tank to carry outside the Jeep. This is a paella burner but it was inexpensive and this 12" ring is pretty big. Below is a before and after picture.
That looks great! Well done!

What’s the burner holder look like? Just curious as to how you did that.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
That looks awesome! In all honesty, if I had that skill set, I would have made my own to my liking. Since my skill set is lacking, I sure as hell don't mind supporting someone who does.

Reactions: sabjku

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
That looks great! Well done!

What’s the burner holder look like? Just curious as to how you did that.
The legs are conduit pieces that had the ends bent. The burner has peg legs that slipped on top of the conduit pieces test had a hole drilled in to match the hole on the burner. I used a bolt and wing but to tighten. He sides were uneven because I did a crap job of cutting the conduit with a hacksaw so I broke down and ordered the legs for the burner st $32. I still like it and it works.

Reactions: sabjku

naysjp

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Renay
Last Name
Johnson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6DHG
That looks awesome! In all honesty, if I had that skill set, I would have made my own to my liking. Since my skill set is lacking, I sure as hell don't mind supporting someone who does.
Thank you for the comment. If I can do this, anyone can. Working on my Jeep is another story. I am no mechanic. Lyndsey Slowhands is my nickname.