Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@trailhunter - Tembo Tusk has a cookbook linked to from their site, free, I think: The Essential Skottle Grill Cookbook

@Caddis - I have a Tembo Tusk; brand new, with a bunch of the extras and a bag. Never used any of it and am probably going to sell it. Most of my traveling is solo and I just can't justify it's use, really, when my Partner stove is already always there and ready to go.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Hmmmm...I'm interested in possibly purchasing this item you have no use for. I have a party of 6 that may be interested if your wanting to sell it. Though, I may give you a heads up that I'm about a month away from purchasing one. I do not use credit. I think it's good to save up the cash to purchase. PM me if you'd like to sell it.

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

I thought this thread might have been about their fridge slides. I just had one delivered today but haven't had a chance to have a look-see at it yet.

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
@trailhunter - Tembo Tusk has a cookbook linked to from their site, free, I think: The Essential Skottle Grill Cookbook

@Caddis - I have a Tembo Tusk; brand new, with a bunch of the extras and a bag. Never used any of it and am probably going to sell it. Most of my traveling is solo and I just can't justify it's use, really, when my Partner stove is already always there and ready to go.
Rare to find someone with a used skottle, let alone a brand new one with extras... bummer I didn't ask deep enough in the web to gain your visibility. How much you asking for it? I'm guessing it comes with the blue ridge bags too?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Rare to find someone with a used skottle, let alone a brand new one with extras... bummer I didn't ask deep enough in the web to gain your visibility. How much you asking for it? I'm guessing it comes with the blue ridge bags too?
I suspect I will be able to sell it--if I decide to--at one of the local gatherings at near the regular asking price for all the pieces I have, because it will be on the spot, cash and carry, and no shipping charge. Has the cooking dome, wind shield, legs and BROG bags, yes. I did not purchase the Coleman burner at the same time because it was, at that time, cheaper to buy it elsewhere. I'd have to check, but I don't think I have the burner piece. I got it last summer.

To be completely honest, I don't really think it would be worth it for someone to buy it from me and cover shipping costs, too.

Reactions: Drifterman

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
I suspect I will be able to sell it--if I decide to--at one of the local gatherings at near the regular asking price for all the pieces I have, because it will be on the spot, cash and carry, and no shipping charge. Has the cooking dome, wind shield, legs and BROG bags, yes. I did not purchase the Coleman burner at the same time because it was, at that time, cheaper to buy it elsewhere. I'd have to check, but I don't think I have the burner piece. I got it last summer.

To be completely honest, I don't really think it would be worth it for someone to buy it from me and cover shipping costs, too.
Yeah, unless you are willing to part at a discounted price which you are not :)

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yeah, unless you are willing to part at a discounted price which you are not :)
Yep, no real need to when it's brand new, never been used, and, as you say, are rare to find for sale other than from the typical sellers. If I end up with it longer than I care to haul it around, I suspect I'll either let it go cheaper or give it to someone who I expect will pay it forward in one way or another. By then though, you never know, I may find I want to keep it for larger group gatherings. I'm trying to pare things down, though, in what I haul around all the time unless I'm teaching or giving a workshop.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I am very tempted on getting one of these. With a family of 6, it just makes sense. The Coleman stove isn't big enough.
I use a Tembotusk skottle(and love it) but I have founds that for families/groups larger than 4 people many meals become a tight fit. For them I recommend a southwest disc in the ~22" range.

Reactions: Drifterman and Jube

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I use a Tembotusk skottle(and love it) but I have founds that for families/groups larger than 4 people many meals become a tight fit. For them I recommend a southwest disc in the ~22" range.
Interesting. I'll have to do some more research on these. I don't want to spend a lot of money just to find out it doesn't fit my needs

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Interesting. I'll have to do some more research on these. I don't want to spend a lot of money just to find out it doesn't fit my needs
www.southwestdisk.com

They have about the same options as the TemboTusk skottle with bags, lids, burners, etc but they offer bigger disks and burners. Im a skottle dealer but I rather not make a sale than have an unhappy customer..... I have no affiliation with Southwest Disk other than the MOAB RIM going on my back patio at the house.:sunglasses:

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
make the best street tacos I ever had next to the ones I've had in mexico.
Making me hungry... i remember eating 10 adobada tacos at the taco stands down in baja, hard to reproduce those tacos in the states but you could get close with trial and error.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Love our Skottle, we didn't even use our camp stove on our last trip. We've cooked for 6 on it without issue. I really like the size of it, I wouldn't want it any bigger as it would be too much of a hassle to haul around. It's well made and the storage bag is great too.

The Skottle cookbook in a reply above has tons of good recipes also.

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
Love our Skottle, we didn't even use our camp stove on our last trip. We've cooked for 6 on it without issue. I really like the size of it, I wouldn't want it any bigger as it would be too much of a hassle to haul around. It's well made and the storage bag is great too.

The Skottle cookbook in a reply above has tons of good recipes also.
Thanks! I saw a YouTube vid of some guy talking about temp variances and how the skottle doesn't best much on the sides, I personally find this to be useful and you could use it to your advantage, thoughts?

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Thanks! I saw a YouTube vid of some guy talking about temp variances and how the skottle doesn't best much on the sides, I personally find this to be useful and you could use it to your advantage, thoughts?
That's how it's supposed to work, you cook towards the center and then as things are done, you move them to the sides to keep warm. It's a great advantage. When we cook up breakfast sandwiches, we do the bacon first, slide it to the side and then toast the bread, slide that to the side with the bacon going on top of the bread and then cook up the eggs in the center, throw on some cheese and you're good to go! It's nice to be able to keep it all warm and build the sandwiches at the same time. Damn, now I'm making myself hungry!

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

www.southwestdisk.com

They have about the same options as the TemboTusk skottle with bags, lids, burners, etc but they offer bigger disks and burners. Im a skottle dealer but I rather not make a sale than have an unhappy customer..... I have no affiliation with Southwest Disk other than the MOAB RIM going on my back patio at the house.:sunglasses:
Thanks for that link! Prices are very good and I kind of like their 60k BTU burner set up more than the Tembo Tusk 10k BTU Coleman setup.

The Southwest Disk kit is a little bulkier but a bit cheaper overall. I can get on board with the multiple disks, one burner/stand, and refillable 5# - 10# propane tank. You can even go with a propane tank manifold and run your stove, plow disk, and old coleman lantern on the same tank. With their pricing, I'd also consider a standard 18" disk for light duty trips and then a bigger 24" disk for backyard shindigs and bigger groups.

Reactions: Jube