Tembo Tusk mod and case

• HTML tutorial

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
At this year's NW Overland Rally I bought my TT cooking apparatus and instantly wondered how to carry it. I saw a couple options, but the dual bag system was not what I wanted, so as a bag maker, I set out to make my own. First step was to address the legs - they are too long and don't fit in one bag, so here was my thought: cut them in half so they are smaller than the diameter of the cook surface. I did this on a bansaw easily and deburred the edges. Next, I found some 1" diameter star inserts on McMaster (1/4-20 thread) and ordered those. Pick up 3ea 1/4-20 x 3" allthread as well. The star inserts slide in easy (make sure to press them in evenly so your studs are straight) and place them about 3/8" inside. This will allow you to lock one side of the allthread using a jam nut against the star insert so the all thread doesn't spin. It will work without a jam nut too, however, you will just need to pay attention if you are using it a lot so you don't lose the allthread.

Super easy mod that allows the legs to break down further and fit into a singular bag.

I addressed the bag next. Adam at Step 22 has a cool version that is nice, but still, legs ain't fittin'. I created the pattern to fit the burner as well (I have a cheap Century propane thingy) and built a pocket to receive all 6 pieces of the legs. The proto is done (images below) but I will refine it next week after and overland trip to central Oregon and make it look pro. Here are the pics of the prototype:

If anyone wants the pattern for the bag DM me and I can send as a dxf or .ai file.

Will

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using OB Talk mobile app

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
AO-
The Skittle is awesome overall. After you get the hang of the center cooking area it becomes a really useful and easy to use cooking tool. We use it for all kinds of events. I have already had to replace my Century burner once as a piece of it just snapped off when I was attaching, but that isn't really a Skottle issue. Worth the investment in my opinion.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Awesome project! I really like Blue Ridge Overland Gear, but the bag(s) that come with the Skottle really should be designed like this, and TemboTusk should have designed the legs this way. Those few adjustments would help justify the price of the Skottle in my opinion.

I've been using the Skottle more and more. And it got quite the workout at Overland Expo East. Takes some getting used to. But it's nice to cook on and simply serve food right off the side.

Reactions: Will Macia

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Those of you with the skottle, can you heat up a coffee pot on it...

Last edited: