Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Hey all, I'm planning my first official overlanding trip for the weekend of 11/16. I think I'd like to do Tellico Plains. Who has driven these trails and camped here? I need some recommendations for some beginner trails and camping. I've found some information and routes, but don't know how difficult they are or where some decent camping spots may be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

John Herrington

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tellico was great. If you like trout fishing, this area is for you. The Tellico River runs along a small 2 lane road for around 30 miles, and its loaded with Rainbows, Browns and Brook trout. We didn't look for any trails, since we had a camper. But i did notice a lot of jeeps and side by sides coming through the area. I'm also not sure about remote camp spots, but there must be a dozen camping areas along that road... some are close to the road, some are off the road close to the river. Fairly primitive.. vault toilets, no power or water.

Reactions: jasgwoods

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Tellico was great. If you like trout fishing, this area is for you. The Tellico River runs along a small 2 lane road for around 30 miles, and its loaded with Rainbows, Browns and Brook trout. We didn't look for any trails, since we had a camper. But i did notice a lot of jeeps and side by sides coming through the area. I'm also not sure about remote camp spots, but there must be a dozen camping areas along that road... some are close to the road, some are off the road close to the river. Fairly primitive.. vault toilets, no power or water.
Thanks for letting me know. I hope to get out there this weekend. Depends on how hunting goes Saturday morning [emoji1]

SC9042

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Gray, KY, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4ZQY
I am not sure if you made it this past weekend or not, but if anyone searches Tellico Plains in the future this may be of interest. Earlier this year I was in the area and stayed in Coker Creek, which is south of Tellico Plains. What I am suggesting was recommend by a local and was well worth it. There is a scenic area named Buck Bald that is about 20 miles south of Tellico Plains. It was well worth the drive, especially considering I was able to watch the sunset there. You have a 360 degree view once you reach the top. To the south west you can catch a glimpse of the Georgia mountains, to the west is Tennessee, and to the east is North Carolina. The road up the mountain was a dirt forest road that was decently maintained when I was on it. There were various trails that shot off of the forest road, but I am not familiar with the area, wasn't in my JK, and the car I was in probably wasn't up to the task. One of those better safe than sorry scenarios. It would have been interesting to explore had I been prepared. The picture I attached doesn't do it justice, but was taken while laying on a blanket on my cell phone. When we got ready to depart, the sun had set, but the ambient light allowed up to watch a rain storm pass along to the north.

11.jpg

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

I am not sure if you made it this past weekend or not, but if anyone searches Tellico Plains in the future this may be of interest. Earlier this year I was in the area and stayed in Coker Creek, which is south of Tellico Plains. What I am suggesting was recommend by a local and was well worth it. There is a scenic area named Buck Bald that is about 20 miles south of Tellico Plains. It was well worth the drive, especially considering I was able to watch the sunset there. You have a 360 degree view once you reach the top. To the south west you can catch a glimpse of the Georgia mountains, to the west is Tennessee, and to the east is North Carolina. The road up the mountain was a dirt forest road that was decently maintained when I was on it. There were various trails that shot off of the forest road, but I am not familiar with the area, wasn't in my JK, and the car I was in probably wasn't up to the task. One of those better safe than sorry scenarios. It would have been interesting to explore had I been prepared. The picture I attached doesn't do it justice, but was taken while laying on a blanket on my cell phone. When we got ready to depart, the sun had set, but the ambient light allowed up to watch a rain storm pass along to the north.

View attachment 76544
That is gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing. I'd love to check this out. Is camping allowed there?

SC9042

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Gray, KY, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4ZQY
I am not entirely sure if camping is allowed or not. I tried to look it up on the Forest Service's website, but had no luck. You may have to call a ranger station to be sure. I would hate to give you bad information. I do know that you cannot pull your vehicle onto the bald itself. They have it blocked off a short distance before hand for parking. If you go to google maps and search for "Buck Bald Mountain Scenic Area", the satellite view gives you a good idea where the blockage occurs. They have rocks along the edges of the road that prevent further access. I see that you are from Rocky Top, so I am sure you know about Cherohala Skyway. I enjoy the views from it, but also recommend Bald River Falls if you have never been. It is maybe ten minutes off the Skyway and beautiful. Again, I am not sure if there is camping in the area as I was only there for a short time. This discussion has made me want to figure out when I can take the time to go back down there again though.

Reactions: jasgwoods

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

I am not entirely sure if camping is allowed or not. I tried to look it up on the Forest Service's website, but had no luck. You may have to call a ranger station to be sure. I would hate to give you bad information. I do know that you cannot pull your vehicle onto the bald itself. They have it blocked off a short distance before hand for parking. If you go to google maps and search for "Buck Bald Mountain Scenic Area", the satellite view gives you a good idea where the blockage occurs. They have rocks along the edges of the road that prevent further access. I see that you are from Rocky Top, so I am sure you know about Cherohala Skyway. I enjoy the views from it, but also recommend Bald River Falls if you have never been. It is maybe ten minutes off the Skyway and beautiful. Again, I am not sure if there is camping in the area as I was only there for a short time. This discussion has made me want to figure out when I can take the time to go back down there again though.
I'll do some digging too and see what information I can find. Let me know when you head back that way. Perhaps we can meet you at for a ride.