Scrambler84

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nacogdoches, TX, USA
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Estrada
My question to the overland community and when your camping and so my question is I wanna make what is gonna be one of my biggest and best investments besides my Harley other stuff lol.
But wanna buy a Offroad teardrop trailer so when overlanding exploring etc I wanna be safe . So I wanna know about how you keep your smaller trailers safe from being stolen or something like that . They are small and it's kinda like my bike (Harley) I wanna keep it safe etc . Thoughts on this are most welcome . Photo just for reference. I'll be towing it with my JKU ( my Jeep )
Please chime in . SmartSelect_20181015-194330_Instagram.jpegIMG_20190619_103234_005.jpeg

S

SubeeBen

Lock the hitch, wheel lock like the police use when your vehicle is parked to long & last but not least a trusty 2 nd amendment firearm. Glock, Smith & Wesson m&p, Springfield armory xd. What trailer are you interested in ? Just curious.

Reactions: Scrambler84

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I wanna know about how you keep your smaller trailers safe from being stolen or something like that
People steal things that advertise they are valuable. Put all the accessories out of sight. Make it look like you did not build it with ego.

I used to book rock bands into bars. Some used the transport truck to advertise they were in town. The band which NEVER had a security problem used an old "Mr Christies" cookie truck, with the labels intact.

If you have $10K of accessories hanging off it, it will attract attention, some not wanted.

Chop shops exist because the pieces are valuable.

Last edited:

Scrambler84

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Nacogdoches, TX, USA
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Estrada
Lock the hitch, wheel lock like the police use when your vehicle is parked to long & last but not least a trusty 2 nd amendment firearm. Glock, Smith & Wesson m&p, Springfield armory xd. What trailer are you interested in ? Just curious.
I'm not sure just yet the one in my photo I posted is one of the 1st I saw fell in love with that maker his concept and work ethic on his builds . But now looking at hiker trailer and a few others . It's on my Christmas list this year . Do you have any recommendations?
They are certainly welcome if your already an owner ! Thanks

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

I can't say enough good things about Mark and his customer service, you wont find better. I have his Apache AT trailer (when he was BEAR trailers) and we love it!!!!! I would recommend going with the lock and roll hitch, it makes towing off road easy also it is a unique design that unless you have a lock and roll assembly you "won't" be able to tow it. Another thing to think about having installed is a XO trailer jack. It went from me and my wife struggling to get the trailer positioned right in dirt/ sand to me being able to basically move it myself. They are more expensive but definitely worth it. Color it to match your jeep. Again Mark and Courtney are great, he kept us updated weekly during build and still calls and checks on us 1 year after purchase.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Insurance insurance insurance, do not skimp on theft insurance and be sure it covers contents.
Lock the hitch. Buy Cheapo noisy perimeter alarm for when it is at base camp alone.
Tracker is great idea and gets insurance discount sometimes.
Game camera posted to where you get a clear picture of the people and or vehicle they arrive in.
ALWAYS have a legal gun and PROPER TRAINING on how to use it.

My thoughts.......

Jim

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Insurance insurance insurance, do not skimp on theft insurance and be sure it covers contents.
Lock the hitch. Buy Cheapo noisy perimeter alarm for when it is at base camp alone.
Tracker is great idea and gets insurance discount sometimes.
Game camera posted to where you get a clear picture of the people and or vehicle they arrive in.
ALWAYS have a legal gun and PROPER TRAINING on how to use it.

My thoughts.......

Jim
Insurance, lock the hitch, good stuff. But I camp to get away from city noises like alarms going off as a squirrel scurries thru the campsite. Game camera, if it automatically uploads to the cloud, but if it gets stolen with the camper? And it needs to be hi def.

What is this with guns? You really want to escalate the situation that much?

I recall 3 Marines on a train in France? a year ago. They took down an armed terrorist... without guns.
You pull a gun you best hope they don't have one too. Cuz they will shoot. I have yet to hear a story of a gun toting civilian helping aprehend or even shoot a criminal. Yet it seems pretty common to pack one. The only times I have heard of a gun packing civilian shooting someone was when they read the situation wrong and shot an innocent person.

I keep hoping my government will stop allowing visitors into the country with guns.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Insurance, lock the hitch, good stuff. But I camp to get away from city noises like alarms going off as a squirrel scurries thru the campsite. Game camera, if it automatically uploads to the cloud, but if it gets stolen with the camper? And it needs to be hi def.

What is this with guns? You really want to escalate the situation that much?

I recall 3 Marines on a train in France? a year ago. They took down an armed terrorist... without guns.
You pull a gun you best hope they don't have one too. Cuz they will shoot. I have yet to hear a story of a gun toting civilian helping aprehend or even shoot a criminal. Yet it seems pretty common to pack one. The only times I have heard of a gun packing civilian shooting someone was when they read the situation wrong and shot an innocent person.

I keep hoping my government will stop allowing visitors into the country with guns.
I am thinking dispersed camping, campsites usually are not high theft areas for trailers.....I could be mistaken. Alarms wont go off for rodents but ok. Game camera will be hidden away from trailer I would hope......
Guns? Yep I will defend my self, family and property period.
If pull my gun I do not care if they have one or not, as they will not have a chance to use them, I pull I shoot.
Gun packing civilians take down criminals all the time, they are in the news in Arizona, maybe not the anti gun states, but here it is. Quick google search gives many cases, so while you never heard of such a thing, it is a thing.
Innocent people getting shot rarely happens by properly trained owners, now you talking gang bangers and average joes maybe....

I keep hoping my Government will never stop allowing me my constitutional rights.

Nice difference of opinions from two different Countries. I respect your opinions and your right to have them, love Canada!

We do not need this to turn into any type of gun discussion so we have 2 sides, done. No more.

Bottom line is there are many things to do about trailer security and there will need to be different options for different situations. Old_Man has it right $20K insurance for $10 buck a month.....

Jim

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I am thinking dispersed camping, campsites usually are not high theft areas for trailers.....I could be mistaken. Alarms wont go off for rodents but ok. Game camera will be hidden away from trailer I would hope......
Guns? Yep I will defend my self, family and property period.
If pull my gun I do not care if they have one or not, as they will not have a chance to use them, I pull I shoot.
Gun packing civilians take down criminals all the time, they are in the news in Arizona, maybe not the anti gun states, but here it is. Quick google search gives many cases, so while you never heard of such a thing, it is a thing.
Innocent people getting shot rarely happens by properly trained owners, now you talking gang bangers and average joes maybe....

I keep hoping my Government will never stop allowing me my constitutional rights.

Nice difference of opinions from two different Countries. I respect your opinions and your right to have them, love Canada!

We do not need this to turn into any type of gun discussion so we have 2 sides, done. No more.

Bottom line is there are many things to do about trailer security and there will need to be different options for different situations. Old_Man has it right $20K insurance for $10 buck a month.....

Jim
hummm....i didn't think about a game camera or alarm, but i could see the alarm being helpful. even in a remote area, an alarm goes off unexpectantly and i'm sure the thief would take off. hes counting on stealth and an alarm just compromised that. the game camera is good to have it pointed at the front of the camper trailer so if they back up to hitch up, you have the plate number. good and CHEAP ideas...

S

SubeeBen

I'm not sure just yet the one in my photo I posted is one of the 1st I saw fell in love with that maker his concept and work ethic on his builds . But now looking at hiker trailer and a few others . It's on my Christmas list this year . Do you have any recommendations?
They are certainly welcome if your already an owner ! Thanks
My wife & I purchased a 2016 nu-camp T@G teardrop trailer & for the money I was the best bang for your buck at the time. Not a serious offroad trailer though. Unfortunately a few months after our purchase we found out our daughter needed serious dental work then braces so we had to sell it. The T@G trailer was the most luxurious trailer within our budget & with a few modifications I.E. lift kit & newer fenders,tires,wheels would be a very capable trailer. Not a rubicon trail trailer but dirt road ok. They now have a nice Offroad model called the boondock running around $ 18k.