Talledega NF

• HTML tutorial

Slopitch

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Helena, AL
Member #

It was a good drive! 14 miles from start at Hwy 148 north on the ridgeline and finally hooking around east to the let-out on Hwy 77. I could have continued on the northern portion (Skyline Drive) but decided to do that another day. Great weather and beautiful outlooks found especially at the fire lookout tower. Bumped in to two friendly couples who would later give me confidence to amble through a down-hill mud section (see photo). The couples were from Chelsea on one of them had been on this section before. There are some areas that have trees marked with light blue blazons that appear to be places to camp but I am not sure about this. I will be checking with National Forest service about being able to do this along this road...even comments on this forum may answer that question. Please, if you are planning a trip that is not too technical, I am interested!
600-1 mud.jpg

Reactions: Bhinton

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

It was a good drive! 14 miles from start at Hwy 148 north on the ridgeline and finally hooking around east to the let-out on Hwy 77. I could have continued on the northern portion (Skyline Drive) but decided to do that another day. Great weather and beautiful outlooks found especially at the fire lookout tower. Bumped in to two friendly couples who would later give me confidence to amble through a down-hill mud section (see photo). The couples were from Chelsea on one of them had been on this section before. There are some areas that have trees marked with light blue blazons that appear to be places to camp but I am not sure about this. I will be checking with National Forest service about being able to do this along this road...even comments on this forum may answer that question. Please, if you are planning a trip that is not too technical, I am interested!
View attachment 89791
The blue blazes are from the Pinhoti Trail that starts out down towards the southern end and the trail goes all the way to GA. The Pihoti is 370+ miles, so there are camping sites along the way.

Reactions: Slopitch

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I was out there a few months ago. Just tooling around and ended up by Little Lake Willis. I was pretty disappointed to see a ton of litter in an otherwise beautiful (if muddy) forest. If I lived closer I'd try to put together a clean up event. Hopefully you all don't run into the same issue. Have fun!