Launch Member

Contributor I

Landurm, SC
First Name
Adam
Last Name
J
Member #

I am 6'4 and 230 lbs, not too large but I am not comfortable in almost anything as I have long legs. My Gx 460 seats do not suit my large ass shoulders and when I get it in proper position my knee's almost hit. I also have a 4 runner and the same issue I feel both seating positions are too low so I have to put the seat far back to find any type of comfort. The issue being even on paper the Land cruiser isn't much larger a half inch here and their. What are my options to be comfortable and have a overland vehicle that I daily 100 miles a day. Thanks for the input.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
At 6'-5' & 220 lbs., I can relate. Although I wouldn't consider myself broad shouldered. My biggest issue is my 38 1/2" inseam, which kinda puts the steering wheel between my knees in most non-full sized vehicles.

I bought a Jeep Cherokee and made my own seat adapters that moved the driver's seat back 2 1/2" & it still wasn't enough, so I sold it 4 months later. After shopping around a bit & sitting in several vehicles, I've decided I'm stuck driving a full sized vehicle. I just ordered new "orthopedic" seats for the van that are a bit pricy, but are specifically made for people 6'-4" and taller. I had an opportunity to sit in them and it's by far the most comfortable I've tried. They are a bit wider and sit a little higher and a little farther back than the seats I now have, which come out of a Toyota Sienna, and are pretty nice. Not only is the seat back 3 1/2" taller than their "normal" seat, the lumbar support sits higher in the seat back where it needs to be for me. Also, the base of the seat is adjustable so I can scooch it out towards my knees so it doesn't hit in the middle of my thighs like most seats. The biggest difference I noticed immediately upon sitting in them was that my shoulders weren't hitting the top of the seat where it starts to narrow toward the head rest. They actually hit where they are supposed to and I don't feel cramped, or too tall for the seat.

I have to wait 8-10 weeks because they come from Germany & this whole covid thing is causing major delays in international shipping. It's a big investment, but if it allows me to drive in comfort and drive for more than an hour or so before my back and the sciatica down my left leg starts acting up, it will be well worth the money.

The seats are the Scheel-Mann Vario XXL with full side bolsters & incorporated heater.

Hope you find something that fits you....

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

You are a FULL SIZE North American guy. Think F250 plus.

You are talking Japanese Toyotas, have you been to Japan, even tho they have a North American "design studio" its based in California. Seats too low have been a Toyota trade mark since they first arrived in the 1960s. Every 5-10 years at coffee I'll say did you see that Tacoma for sale...... and someone will remind me...... but the seats are so low.

My best recommendation, wait to test a new Bronco. It is almost Full Size. I bet you will love it. I bet North America will LOVE IT.

Last edited:

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

It all depends also on your torso and leg length. I’m 6’ 5” around 250 and fit very comfortably in a Jeep Wrangler 4-door. Others my same height with longer legs will not have enough leg room, while others with a longer torso will hit their heads on the crossbeam. A good ol’ American full sized truck will correct for that regardless but anything else is best evaluated by testing the seating comfort yourself.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
My wife has this prob... she's 6'2" with long legs, she pretty much doesn't fit in anything smaller than a full size truck. She does OK in my Jeep, but its has some trouble with the clutch. She seems to fit ok in the soft top JT's that we looked at. We'll most likely be ending up with another full size truck, we've looked at some 2019/2020 GM half tons and those have had enough room.

GreggNY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Westchester County, NY
Member #

As said above, you need to do yourself a favor and drive a full size truck. Go test drive a Ram 2500 with Laramie interior and you'll be ruined for everything else. I test drove an f250 and Ram 2500 back to back. The seats on the Ford felt much narrower to me in the shoulder area but the Ram was immediately comfortable while still having enough side bolster for support.

Reactions: Billiebob

Hesko

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Landurm, SC
First Name
Adam
Last Name
J
Member #

I feel I will pursue a Armada or next gen Tundra in the next year or so. Or spend 60k on a lightly used land cruiser I am sick of feeling stuck or confined in my GX and 4 runner. Thanks for the tips all.

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

I'm 6'3 180lbs. Height is more my issue.

I'm almost always too tall for my vehicles.

An exception is my Jeep Commander.

For my Cherokee (XJ) I fabricated my own seat mounts and made the seat sit lower and move further back.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

At 6' 3" @ 225 I completely rebuilt my Cherokee only to find my head still touched the headliner and my legs we're still too cramped. Smacking my head on the door frame constantly while getting in and out was the last straw. Sold it.........

Now driving a 2019 F150 4x4 Supercab.
Plenty of room everywhere!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
As said above, you need to do yourself a favor and drive a full size truck. Go test drive a Ram 2500 with Laramie interior and you'll be ruined for everything else. I test drove an f250 and Ram 2500 back to back. The seats on the Ford felt much narrower to me in the shoulder area but the Ram was immediately comfortable while still having enough side bolster for support.
I own both trucks. Rams pedals are too close, steering wheel is far too far away. I'm 6-2.

Dodge gear shifter is floppy, and I think my manual floor shifter is a placebo, it might actually be electronic. It has a weird pattern, but works fine. Fords ESOF knob is growing on me since i can select 4wd and my locker with a single flip of my wrist.

Ford F250 has a telescopic steering wheel. It could use another inch of travel, but it's way better than the Ram. Remove the Rubber pad from the brake pedal and it's nearly spot on for tall guys. If Dodge added 4" of telescopic to the steering, it would likely be better than Ford.

Ford is stiffer in roll. Dodge has a softer sway bar, so crossing a curb at an angle is smoother, but more roll. Rams new front suspension mimics the Fords. Both trucks need upgraded to Bilstein or Fox shocks ASAP.

Ford has far superior mirrors. Dodge has better headlights. But naturally, I notice oncoming traffic swerving towards me at night more in the Dodge. It's blinding people. Will try aiming down a hair.

Both trucks are miles above a GM, but I give the advantage to the Ford.

Last edited:

RAMf1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley, Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Don’t laugh... try a new Subaru Forester! I’m 6’2 and 270 lbs. and I fit great in my 2014. I finally found a vehicle with plenty of head and shoulder room. And you get around 30 mpg which will help on your daily 100 mile commute. As for over landing, most forest roads are no problem And you can take it places that amaze you. I had a great time driving the rocky road out to the Racetrack and back in Death Valley along with Titus Canyon. 8.7” of ground clearance stock... add some decent tires and beef up the skid plates (Available direct from Subaru!) and enjoy.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I feel I will pursue a Armada or next gen Tundra in the next year or so. Or spend 60k on a lightly used land cruiser I am sick of feeling stuck or confined in my GX and 4 runner. Thanks for the tips all.
You asked a question and got lots of replies to check out an F250, K2500, W2500..... go do that and tell us what you think.
Otherwise why ask the question.

Reactions: GreggNY

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

You asked a question and got lots of replies to check out an F250, K2500, W2500..... go do that and tell us what you think.
Otherwise why ask the question.
I think he was just looking for other options before he went with his initial choices. There's very little difference between a half ton and larger from a comfort standpoint (hell the F150 through F350 are literally the same cabs) but that extra wheelbase is a pain in the ass in way more scenarios - especially coming from something short like a GX. Any half ton or larger will be functionally the same in that regard and both the Armada and Tundra fit that bill. They're night and day larger than their mid-size counterparts and even the LC200 is a very large vehicle inside.

Chevytau

Rank I

Traveler I

Fallon, NV, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Paul
Member #

I am 6'4 and 230 lbs, not too large but I am not comfortable in almost anything as I have long legs. My Gx 460 seats do not suit my large ass shoulders and when I get it in proper position my knee's almost hit. I also have a 4 runner and the same issue I feel both seating positions are too low so I have to put the seat far back to find any type of comfort. The issue being even on paper the Land cruiser isn't much larger a half inch here and their. What are my options to be comfortable and have a overland vehicle that I daily 100 miles a day. Thanks for the input.
I’m 6’10” 365 and can fit in almost nothing. I’ve always driven full size but then I discovered the 80 series and amazingly with a simple mod to the shifter and removing the dead pedal it fits like a dream. I have to slouch a little when the sunroof hatch it skid closed but it’s very manageable.
I sat in nearly 100 mid size rigs before I found the 80 and the only other one that came close was the grand cherokee but nothing beats the 80.
It is obviously not as roomy as a full size but I can run it hard day after day and am perfectly comfortable, I cannot recommend it highly enough for taller guys and with this kit that moves the seat back a bit it’s even better.