Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Gobis are expensive and the estimated time to ship is “eventually”. But the ones I’ve seen are solid and they have a good amount of space. On my last rig I had a Yakima LoadWarrior and wished it had the extension. Before that I had the smaller Yakima basket (BasketCase?) and it was barely big enough for muddy boots and a duffle.

I love the price of some of the other baskets - Rola et al - and now that I’ve switched to the Cherokee something that size may be about right but the Gobi would obviously offer more space. Any other options I should be looking at or should I just hit ‘order’ and wait on the Gobi?

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
I love my GOBI on my 4Runner. I was lucky and found it on a classified ad and got a killer deal. It is very well built and everything I wanted in a roof rack. I might be saying something different if I had to pay full price and wait for it. Keep checking classifieds while your shopping around never know what you might find.

darin.explore

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
Darin
Last Name
Maxwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VAD
Love my Gobi rack on the 4runner, I lucked out and it was on the truck when I bought it, but I would buy one again. It carries anything I've thrown up there. Kayaks, firewood, full camp set up, lumber, etc...also great place to stand for a better view. Take a look at what you'll be carrying and determine how solid of a rack you need.

Reactions: J.W.

Jasalvas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Petaluma, CA
Member #

Love my Gobi Stealth but never liked dealing with the company. I wouldn’t buy a other rack from them. There are independent rack builders who offer much better service at a lower cost.

Jasalvas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Petaluma, CA
Member #

Anyone specific you recommend I check out?
There is a maker in So Cal, Outgear Solutions. He can be found on instagram but doesn’t have a website. Last i looked, his prices were lower than gobi with a shorter wait time.

Reactions: J.W.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I had a chance to look at a Gobi and a few different basket setups locally this morning and now I think i’m leaning toward another basket. It’s a setup I’m used to, seems to hold everything I need, and, it’s removable for when I’m going to be on the interstate and won’t need the extra storage. I hardly ever took the basket off my previous truck but I liked being able to squeeze a few more MPGs on some longer trips. As for price, a good sized basket and decent crossbars come in at about 1/3 the cost of the Gobi setup.

The Gobi is definitely nice but it may not be for me right now. If I change my mind down the road, no huge loss. I can always sell a basket online.

Reactions: OKT4RCPL