Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Thinking about selling the 1st gen tacoma, that I just built up and buying a new ranger.
Arb should have a bumper out soon and the bp-51 kit. Anybody have an experience with the new ranger?

Alittle background on this idea. A friend of mine is global director for a well respected german car company. He told me the other day, to buy the ranger before they go messing with it for the american market. He said it is basically the T6 with same petrol engine they would use if not diesel. He said that the truck gets alot of praise.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Why sell a gen 1 Toyota? Can't you just park it somewhere? Is it worth more than I think?

I get the old truck is best bit. But more and more, I don't want to wrench on a dirt road anymore.

Reactions: Jgallo1

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

I have always been a fan of using what you have, unless there is a measurable need for something else or what you have is worn out.
I agree, Up until the last year and half I always lived that way.
For some reason, I have been having trouble keeping trucks lately. I blame technology. ha ha

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Why sell a gen 1 Toyota? Can't you just park it somewhere? Is it worth more than I think?

I get the old truck is best bit. But more and more, I don't want to wrench on a dirt road anymore.
Not sure I understand the first sentence. I understand the second. The security of newer items is nice.

A 1st gen in good condition with low miles does have a solid return

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Why not own both? If you have a Gen 1 Taco, all dialed in keep it! You can't sell it for what you have in parts. Why not buy the new Ranger and play with the taco?

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Why not own both? If you have a Gen 1 Taco, all dialed in keep it! You can't sell it for what you have in parts. Why not buy the new Ranger and play with the taco?
I have been thinking that.
I am not 100% sure I will really spring for a new truck.

Once nice thing is, the fords are not to expensive. I figure another 10k and the truck would be dialed.
If I did sell the 1st gen. I would pay for roughly half of the whole cost of a new ford.

I have seen a few fords xlt , with the fx4 package (which is what matter to get the locker) for 29k with all the current incentives.

My thinking is they are just going to get cheaper around the new year

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don't buy new trucks. Why would anybody finance anything going down in value while you are paying interest?
Truck purchase =30k, interest and truck 3 years, truck+interest+ 38K ,value of the 3 year old truck 23K????WTF. Pick it up in a year or three as they come off a lease. The first thing you do is start making it your's. Find yourself a wholesaler that goes to the auctions and will sell them to you for 200.00 over.

Reactions: M Rose

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I agree, Up until the last year and half I always lived that way.
For some reason, I have been having trouble keeping trucks lately. I blame technology. ha ha
I hear ya, anymore unless you're a mechanic and have access to special tools, it's hard to justify keeping a new rig beyond it's intended service life. But a well maintained newer rig should have no problem hitting 300k with minimal issues. Hence why I say unless it's worn out.
I generally get the impression that you just want the new Ranger because someone told you something once. For me at least, this is not sound reasoning for buying anything, much less a car. Certainly not when you have a Yote in the driveway with lots of money invested in it. I'm not trying to get on a soap box or anything, but in my opinion this sounds like a recipe for dispointment, and i bet you know this, which is why the question is being asked.

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

I agree with both the above posts. This is being based on a really good friends working knowledge of the auto industry. I think there is some merritt in that. I am not rushing into anything. If I were going to buy anything new, it would have to be an unreal deal. Most likely this would take me a year + to get to. I want to see how they do and what the aftermarket market starts t look like.

This is a pretty cool thread I found over on expo portal. :

liveoak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
live
Last Name
oak
He told me the other day, to buy the ranger before they go messing with it for the american market.
I thought they already messed with it. I haven't been hearing very good things about the new Ranger.
This review would talk me off the ledge

Last edited:
  • Haha

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The transmission issues makes sense to me. Fords new 10 speed is actually a GM gear box, so that gear box may not have been designed with a turbo charged 4 cylinder in mind. Theres probably just more tuning work that needs to be done to keep that little 4 cylinder in the torque curve.
But to add, it shows laziness when an MFG releases a truck with a transmission that will "overshift" and cause the engine to lug. Lugging can cause engine damage and this is one of my biggest beefs with CVTs, all of them that I have driven lug the engine around. I would rather spend an extra 30 cents on fuel and have the bottom end of my engine last.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I don't buy new trucks. Why would anybody finance anything going down in value while you are paying interest?
Truck purchase =30k, interest and truck 3 years, truck+interest+ 38K ,value of the 3 year old truck 23K????WTF. Pick it up in a year or three as they come off a lease. The first thing you do is start making it your's. Find yourself a wholesaler that goes to the auctions and will sell them to you for 200.00 over.
I don't want your banged up, poorly serviced, problem truck.

I can get 20 years out of a good new truck. Used trucks lack reliability far too often.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I don't want your banged up, poorly serviced, problem truck.

I can get 20 years out of a good new truck. Used trucks lack reliability far too often.
I have 5 autos, 2 trucks and 3 daily drivers buying wholesale over the last 25 years. The first truck was totaled or I'd still be driving it. Do what you want. I"ll be investing the money I save.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I don't mind taking on a vehicle that a previous owner couldn't seem to manage properly. I can see. And I save real money that way.

Both my '96 XJ and my '95 Cummins were in fairly poor condition when I got them, and clearly showing signs of really lousy maintenance. But I got them cheap and I would not hesitate to drive either of them cross country right now.

It is just a matter of choosing a vehicle with the right problems, and the right things going for it in the long run.

Reactions: MMc

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

I thought they already messed with it. I haven't been hearing very good things about the new Ranger.
This review would talk me off the ledge

First these guys are hilarious. Thanks for this.

Lets get into this. A Little bit of a soap box about to happen fair warning.

I feel like almost all internet video reviews are way over hyped or just overly critical.

New trucks/ cars are all cheap plastic. My cousin's new Ram to my wifes 4runner, my sisters VW and so on. Does not matter the package get the top of the line King ranch , Laramie etc.. you will get decent leather, faux wood and plastic. Get the base, you get vinyl and plastic. It sucks I agree. I think at some point we have to accept it. 25k-90k ha ha

A few positives of the newer market, is yes might be cheap but you get the amenities, used to be in lower level models you didn't even get a/c. I think all auto companies are trying to offer more amenities across all the packages. Remember how annoying it was when the plastic would break on the crank to role down the window. You would be trying to role down the window holding onto a metal toothpick ha ha. Plastic cracks, Every 15 yr old toyota truck has this issue.

I do think due to the lack of amenities in older vehicles , they allowed for more attention to be put into the stuff that counts. I love older vehicles I drove an fj62 across country twice. It was fun and real frustrating at the same time. I hated trying to be somewhere in hurry and having to merge onto a hwy in it. This is just me.

I run a small company and wear alot different hats. Alot of days I am driving all over the place from meeting to jobsite etc.. I could be driving 25 miles one way then 30 the other. Newer vehicles are just nice for that . The Tech integration, is awesome. I am not mad about having an 8" touch screen and apple car play. I put in an after market apple car play system. Newer vehicles are quiet you can talk on the bluetooth, not yell and have the person on the other end keep asking if it is windy where you are.

The transmission and shifting seems to some sort of modern issue in alot of the modern trucks. I hated the 3rd gen tacoma for this reason. I think it has to do with the pressure to be really fuel efficient. Honestly, IDK.

Here is a real world view. I test drove the new ranger, looked at the gladiator, and test drove the colorado zr2 diesel and petrol.

Gladiator, not for me ( I knew that going in). Alot of plastic and really spendy, really long

Colorado, the truck is comfortable.It is wide, forgot the specs, definitely wider than the ranger and taco. If we are talking cheap interior this truck wins, even the extior ,the bed seams are not even straight. I do like the diesel. I have not been reading good things. The modern Diesel emissions are making them more complicated than they need to be.

The Ranger, It is comfortable, it is quiet. I thought the radio sounded great and I did not have the upgraded speakers. Coming from a 1st gen Taco it feels like it has plenty of power ha ha.

Honestly I think the chevy and the ford were super fun to drive. I am a hobby mechanic, once direct injection got put in, my skills went way down. For me, with most of the mechanical issues that happen with my truck, it ends up in the shop anyway. That being said , I do not want truck that falls apart in 3 yrs.

I could keep going, but I think I made a point. I read alot of this across the forums.

The common trend seems to be more gadgets less quality or something like that.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Seems like it, but I think I posted in another thread, rangers have been running rampant in austrailia.

So I think, that if you are looking to spend that level of coin for a medium truck, rangers a safe bet for sure.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
First these guys are hilarious. Thanks for this.

Lets get into this. A Little bit of a soap box about to happen fair warning.

I feel like almost all internet video reviews are way over hyped or just overly critical.

New trucks/ cars are all cheap plastic. My cousin's new Ram to my wifes 4runner, my sisters VW and so on. Does not matter the package get the top of the line King ranch , Laramie etc.. you will get decent leather, faux wood and plastic. Get the base, you get vinyl and plastic. It sucks I agree. I think at some point we have to accept it. 25k-90k ha ha

A few positives of the newer market, is yes might be cheap but you get the amenities, used to be in lower level models you didn't even get a/c. I think all auto companies are trying to offer more amenities across all the packages. Remember how annoying it was when the plastic would break on the crank to role down the window. You would be trying to role down the window holding onto a metal toothpick ha ha. Plastic cracks, Every 15 yr old toyota truck has this issue.

I do think due to the lack of amenities in older vehicles , they allowed for more attention to be put into the stuff that counts. I love older vehicles I drove an fj62 across country twice. It was fun and real frustrating at the same time. I hated trying to be somewhere in hurry and having to merge onto a hwy in it. This is just me.

I run a small company and wear alot different hats. Alot of days I am driving all over the place from meeting to jobsite etc.. I could be driving 25 miles one way then 30 the other. Newer vehicles are just nice for that . The Tech integration, is awesome. I am not mad about having an 8" touch screen and apple car play. I put in an after market apple car play system. Newer vehicles are quiet you can talk on the bluetooth, not yell and have the person on the other end keep asking if it is windy where you are.

The transmission and shifting seems to some sort of modern issue in alot of the modern trucks. I hated the 3rd gen tacoma for this reason. I think it has to do with the pressure to be really fuel efficient. Honestly, IDK.

Here is a real world view. I test drove the new ranger, looked at the gladiator, and test drove the colorado zr2 diesel and petrol.

Gladiator, not for me ( I knew that going in). Alot of plastic and really spendy, really long

Colorado, the truck is comfortable.It is wide, forgot the specs, definitely wider than the ranger and taco. If we are talking cheap interior this truck wins, even the extior ,the bed seams are not even straight. I do like the diesel. I have not been reading good things. The modern Diesel emissions are making them more complicated than they need to be.

The Ranger, It is comfortable, it is quiet. I thought the radio sounded great and I did not have the upgraded speakers. Coming from a 1st gen Taco it feels like it has plenty of power ha ha.

Honestly I think the chevy and the ford were super fun to drive. I am a hobby mechanic, once direct injection got put in, my skills went way down. For me, with most of the mechanical issues that happen with my truck, it ends up in the shop anyway. That being said , I do not want truck that falls apart in 3 yrs.

I could keep going, but I think I made a point. I read alot of this across the forums.

The common trend seems to be more gadgets less quality or something like that.
The plastic thing is a real issue.

My '95 Cummins is a plastic disaster. The drivetrain is great, but the interior is falling apart. I spent several thousand miles last year with zip ties holding the top of the dash to the bottom of the dash. I bought a new dash top, and in the process of replacing it I had several good sized chunks break out of the bottom half. It is a losing proposition.

I expect the drivetrain on this truck should last me the rest of my life, but dang, the rest of the truck?

Oh yeah, the glove box broke a couple months ago. Plastic hinge gave up the ghost. I opened the glove box only to have it fall to the floor and dump its contents.

I have debated between trying to repair the existing dash (i.e. repair the original design with new or junkyard parts), swap the dash for something older (like a '73-'86 square body Chevy dash) or swap the whole drivetrain into a vintage truck like a '55-'59 Chevy. I like the idea of the last option best, but I can't do that until I finish kicking The Varmints out of the house. I currently need the extended cab.

The above scenario is why I have no plans to purchase any new vehicles. They are all supposed to be disposable. I don't do disposable vehicles. I want to buy something once and be done with that decision. For life. I don't want something new and shiny every few years. I don't want to have to learn all over again where to find the switches, let alone figure out how to interface with all these new, modern electronics. Yes, I am a dinosaur. I know this about myself.

Nonetheless, if those who rant and rave about sustainability had a shred of integrity they would be all over this issue. This is where the rubber really hits the road.