Talk is Cheap! OB "Off the Grid" Central! Maybe...

• HTML tutorial

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

We have kicked the idea of doing an "Off the Grid" style meet for the central/gulf coast states and gone off on a thousand tangents and daydreams about it. I'm taking charge, cause I don't see any serious plans in the works (point me to them if I missed them), and I may have been the person that started the last thread about it. :tonguewink: I don't think we can do anything huge like the real thing that happens out in Cali this year, but I think we can at least do a small water testing run to get our feet wet and ramp up for the next one.

I can't say with 100% certainty that this will happen this year, or even what it will look like. It's hard to throw this type of thing together with a short amount of time and expect a bunch of people who work to be able to make it short notice. But I would like to start planning as though it is going to happen and hope that some of you central folks can make it. So for now...

Time Frame:
If this year, I am thinking late September through mid October as a time frame to shoot for. 3 day weekend style. Any thoughts on that?

Short notice, it might be easier to put something together in New Mexico. Miles of fire roads to explore and places to camp are easier to come by in the National Forests. I also really like the idea of hitting the Ozarks in the fall but I don't think there is enough time to put something together up there.
Anyone from those areas have thoughts on either of those locations? Or know of a place large enough for us to camp at?

Rigs/People:
I think its best to keep this one small. Like, really small. 25-30 rigs max, maybe. I want to incorporate everyone and their brother but with little time to plan and find camping locations and routes to accommodate large groups, I think it's best to keep it low key. The next one can be huge. :grinning: I don't think it will be hard to keep it small. This late in the game it will be tough for people to get the time off. Heck, I don't even know if I can get the time off. :tonguewink:

Anyway, I want to hear your thoughts. If you want to be involved in planning (if we even do this thing) then let me know. I could use a little help from locals on finding trails/routes/accommodations. If you are interested in going, let me know. If you think it is entirely unreasonable to try to put this thing together this late, let me know.

Again, this is just exploratory at this point. Don't go asking for time off yet. I want to make this happen but there is a good chance it wont. This fall anyway. I do expect that we will be doing something bigger next year regardless.

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We have kicked the idea of doing an "Off the Grid" style meet for the central/gulf coast states and gone off on a thousand tangents and daydreams about it. I'm taking charge, cause I don't see any serious plans in the works (point me to them if I missed them), and I may have been the person that started the last thread about it. :tonguewink: I don't think we can do anything huge like the real thing that happens out in Cali this year, but I think we can at least do a small water testing run to get our feet wet and ramp up for the next one.

I can't say with 100% certainty that this will happen this year, or even what it will look like. It's hard to throw this type of thing together with a short amount of time and expect a bunch of people who work to be able to make it short notice. But I would like to start planning as though it is going to happen and hope that some of you central folks can make it. So for now...

Time Frame:
If this year, I am thinking late September through mid October as a time frame to shoot for. 3 day weekend style. Any thoughts on that?

Short notice, it might be easier to put something together in New Mexico. Miles of fire roads to explore and places to camp are easier to come by in the National Forests. I also really like the idea of hitting the Ozarks in the fall but I don't think there is enough time to put something together up there.
Anyone from those areas have thoughts on either of those locations? Or know of a place large enough for us to camp at?

Rigs/People:
I think its best to keep this one small. Like, really small. 25-30 rigs max, maybe. I want to incorporate everyone and their brother but with little time to plan and find camping locations and routes to accommodate large groups, I think it's best to keep it low key. The next one can be huge. :grinning: I don't think it will be hard to keep it small. This late in the game it will be tough for people to get the time off. Heck, I don't even know if I can get the time off. :tonguewink:

Anyway, I want to hear your thoughts. If you want to be involved in planning (if we even do this thing) then let me know. I could use a little help from locals on finding trails/routes/accommodations. If you are interested in going, let me know. If you think it is entirely unreasonable to try to put this thing together this late, let me know.

Again, this is just exploratory at this point. Don't go asking for time off yet. I want to make this happen but there is a good chance it wont. This fall anyway. I do expect that we will be doing something bigger next year regardless.
Consider me your boots on the ground in New Mexico. I have a few ideas for location but I'd like to take a couple scouting runs first to confirm.
I'm in southeast New Mexico and have explored most of the south central back-country. While it's beautiful in it's own right, it's not of epic proportions which is what an OB(ish) rally should have. We have a couple trips scheduled for northern New Mexico so I will report back my findings as soon as it's properly scouted.
We could also consider getting touch New Mexico Backroads who do guided overland tours of the state. Maybe they can give us some insight to a good location (or maybe we could even chip in for a guide?)...

Getting excited... thanks for kicking this off @cjones !

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Currently scheduled for that time period:
Sep 17, Celtic Festival, Eminence KY
Oct7-8, Overland Expo East, Asheville NC
Oct1, tentative 34th wedding anniversary... Going good so far... ;)

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

How is the camping around Mt Taylor? I was also thinking about Carson NF but I haven't spent a lot of time there.

benzfanatical

Rank 0

Traveler I

Gallup, New Mexico
Member #

The camping on Mt. Taylor is great. There are two campgrounds that are fee areas... And an entire mountain you can camp for free on. There are also latrines at many trailheads.

You can explore for days and not see it all. The temps are pretty low due to elevation and there is always the view.... One of the best in NM, in my opinion.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

What are some night time temps to expect? That could be a major determinant in our event dates.