San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Take time to think. What do I mean by that? If you are reading this, you, like I, are drawn to the wilderness, more than the average person. We like to venture far, and see sights few will ever see. We often traverse uneven, rocky, loose, sometimes unmaintained roads and trails. Each mile, be it muddy or dusty, draws us further away from civilization and closer to nature. With these travels come risks, and it only takes a split second for a memorable outing to turn into a life changing experience. If we "take time to think", before and during our trips, we can increase our chances of returning safely. What prompted me to write this are two articles I read this weekend, which I will share below. One of a man being chased by a mountain lion, the other about a Jeep that slid off a popular mountain trail. There are numerous stories like these. I am by no means an expert. These are just my "two cents". I don't plan to go in depth on topics, and I'm sure I will miss some things, but I hope this helps someone.

"TAKE TIME TO THINK" BEFORE YOUR TRIP

There are several things to think about before your trip.
  • Where are you going?
  • Wat do you plan to do when you get there?
  • What will the weather be like?
  • What gear will I need?
  • Is my rig ready?
Figuring out the destination is usually the easy part, but doing a little research into your destination can be very helpful. Knowing a little about the terrain and wildlife you may encounter may help you in determining what equipment you will need to bring. Make downloadable maps of the area you can view offline, and get your hands on old school paper maps if you can. Talking with locals is also a great source of information. You never know what gems you may find.

Once you know where you are going, what are you going to do while you are there? Are you just driving and camping as you go? Will you be doing some exploring on foot? Climbing, spelunking, fishing, kayaking? You get the idea. Again, all things to consider when choosing your gear. Also, let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return.

Some people are true adventurers, and take whatever weather mother nature has to dish out. I myself like to know what I am getting into, so an idea of what the weather is going to be like is a must for me. Has it rained or snowed recently? If so, what is that going to do to trail conditions? Is it going to be hot or cold? I don't know about you, but I prefer to watch a thunderstorm from afar rather than be underneath it. Will rain or snow leave me stranded? Sometimes weather is unavoidable, so make sure you're prepared.

What gear do I need? It depends. Some items you will bring to some places that you won't bring to others. Some items you should carry with you always. Deciding what gear to bring is in my opinion, the most important aspect of your trip. Take time during this process. Don't rush it. Consider the things above. Be organized. What are the necessities? Camping equipment, bedding, food, water, sanitary items, etc. Food and water I suggest you take a few extra days worth. If you have multiple activities planned, act like each one is its own, and make sure you have all of the items you need for each activity. Pack appropriate clothing for the conditions.

A well stocked first aid kit. It doesn't need to be a level III trauma kit, but the basics, band-aids, gauze, bandages, antiseptic, pain relievers, emergency blanket, tweezers and scissors are among the things I would suggest. Make sure you have spare batteries for flashlights. More likely than not, you will be out of cell range, so having a GMRS or Ham radio, or satellite phone should be considered. GMRS and ham do not require a license in life threatening situations. A PLB (personal locator beacon) is also a good item to have in your pack.

Depending on your location, You may encounter wildlife. Knowing if you will be in the area of dangerous animals is essential. Having a bear proof box, or knowing how to handle food and trash in bear country is good to know before you go. Bear spray is a good deterrent. Depending on your views, and where you are, a firearm is also something you can consider carrying. If you encounter cubs of any animal, know "Momma" is close by. It is best to stay clear and vacate the area in a cautious manner. This is not the time to pull out your phone to take pics, as you will see in the video below.

The last thing I want to touch on about gear, has to deal with your rig. There aren't very many service stations along the trail, so taking a few extra things for the rig might come in handy. Sockets and wrenches, screwdrivers, hammer, small pry bar, penetrating oil, tape, battery charger, recovery gear, zip ties and tie straps are a few of the things I carry. Some spare parts are also good to have depending on where you are going. Belts, hoses, clamps, fluids, nuts, bolts, bulbs and fuses are all small and easy to carry. You may also consider bearings, driveshafts, axle shafts or other similar parts if you are planning on driving through some extreme terrain. Being familiar with volt and ohm meters can also help trouble shoot electrical issues. Don't forget the fire extinguisher!!!

Now that you have everything planned out, and your gear is set, is your rig ready? How are the brakes, tires and coolant? When was the last time you did an oil change, or changed the spark plugs? How many miles do you have on those shocks? It is good practice to check the torque of nuts and bolts before and after trips. Washboard roads are good at vibrating them loose. Do you have a wench? Does it work? Is your recovery gear in good working order? You want to make sure you're rig is as ready as it can be before you head out. it is a lot easier to do repairs at home than it is on the trail.

"TAKE TIME TO THINK" DURING YOUR TRIP

Here are some things to think about during your trip.

• Campfires
  • River Fording
  • Recovery
  • Being aware of your surroundings

Campfires are the cause of many wildfires each year. Take time to think before starting a campfire. Is there a burn ban in effect? What are the conditions around my campsite? Is there dry grass or brush that could ignite from an ember caught in the wind? Do I have a way to put out the fire if one starts? Make sure to keep your fire contained in a fire ring, and don't leave it unattended. Before leaving campsite, make sure all coals have been extinguished, and there is no heat being emitted.

River crossings are one of my favorite parts of overlanding. Take time to think before crossing the river. There are risks, and caution should be taken before attempting a crossing. If you don't know the depth, you can always wade out and do a little recon. Know the limits of how deep your vehicle can go. Make sure the current isn't too strong. Your vehicle could lose traction and be swept down river.

Sometimes it becomes necessary to call on the winch to pull you or a friend out of a sticky situation. Take time to think before starting a recovery. Make sure your gear is in good condition. Make sure you are using the properly rated gear. Winch lines and shackles are known to snap, so make sure to take precautions by using a dampener on your line and having everyone stand clear during winching. Raising the hood of a vehicle is also a good idea in case the winch line snaps back. Take your time when working around the winch. Fingers can easily find their way into the spool.

Be aware of your surroundings. I already touched on interactions with wildlife, but there are many dangers when we venture out on foot and in our vehicles that we sometimes forget. Take time to think before you do anything out on the trail. When hiking or climbing, be aware of loose rocks that could cause you to fall. Make sure to bring plenty of water and some snacks if you plan to be out for a while. When setting up camp, make sure you are not in a low lying area that could be washed out by flash floods. Also, if you are in the woods, make sure there are no dead branches that could fall from above. When driving, be aware of the terrain you are on. Avoid parking on slopes if the ground is loose. I can only assume that is what happened to the young couple in the story below.

Be safe in your adventures everyone! Make memories!

I know there are many more aspects I could have talked about. If anyone would like to add to this, feel free. My goal for this thread is to promote safety and awareness, so any and every addition is welcome.

Link 1 Man stalked by mountain lion on Utah trail, viral video shows
Link 2 Jeep Destroyed After Rolling Down Mountain

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Very well written!! I would like to add one thing...Know YOUR limits. I've seen where people get into situations simply because they followed where someone else went or tried doing what someone else did. Everyone isn't the same. I am lucky that before I got into overlanding I liked to hike and backpack. Doing these things tend to help you learn more and more as you rack up the miles! Overlanding though sees a lot of people just jumping in feet first. For those doing that, read what TxJeeper75 wrote!! Stay safe!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You have to get experience somehow and that usually involves failure at some point, otherwise you are learning nothing.
If you go into big cat or bear country or any other large game animal area its your fault if you don't take the proper precautions.

The biggest problem I see with new people is thinking they can go anywhere they want in a sedan or mini van or 2wd anything then finding later stuck on the trail in a bad situation with not enough supplies or common sense to live on. Over the past 2 years things have gotten really bad in this respect to a point that I don't really want to hit the trails in the spring, summer or fall anymore. I'm tired of winching or towing out vehicles that don't belong in the wilderness without getting paid.
I've started going out when weather is bad the water is high or it's cold out no traffic on trails on those days

Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on new people wanting to explore and adventure but if you don't have a capable rig don't try going down trails obviously made for 4x4s. I know there are popular tails out west that have been worn down enough for a car to go down. That is not the case in most of the country.

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Two great points. Know the limits of yourself and your rig.

I started this thread with safety in mind. It was mainly geared towards those who are just starting out, but also, a reminder for those who have worn through several sets of tires on their journeys. We, humans, have a tendency to get complaisant when we've been doing something for a long time, and sometimes overlook the little things. I don't like to see stories like those above. They happen far too often.

We do learn from our mistakes, but we can also learn from the experiences of others as well. That is one of the great things about OB. Not only do we share our trips, our rigs and their builds. We also share the trials and tribulations we have had. We share what works and what doesn't. So the next generation of travelers don't make the same mistakes we did. This forum, and threads like this can be a great teaching tool. The more people that join and learn, the less people @Boostpowered will have to tow out, and he can enjoy the more temperate parts of the year again. lol

Reactions: Lil Bear

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I will add 2 things, from a solo travel point of view

Leave a complete trip plan with someone you trust, to make nessacary the calls if you do not show up on time . Check in when you can with an updated location, I run APRS via my VHF which is great when it can hit the right kind of repeater. Otherwise any time I fuel up or hit a small town I text home to let my wife know my position and any route changes.

Carry an emergency supply kit - in my case
  1. a weeks worth of boil in the bag food
  2. a zippo lighter and fuel
  3. fire starter and kindling
  4. some candles
  5. basic cheap led flashlight
  6. a small tarp and some para cord
  7. Bottle of water

It all fits in a case that used for that alone. Worse case my truck is fatally wrecked or in a very unsafe position I can survive for a week. I keep the kit in the bottom my Trashroo on the spare.
I assume in most cases I can salvage blankets and extra water and from the truck.

Reactions: TxJeeper75