Tahoe N.F. Washington>Bowman Lake>Meadow Lake>Webber Lake Via Meadow Lake Road

• HTML tutorial

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

We set out last Sunday, Father's Day, on an overland trip that would take us about 60 miles from Hwy 20 in the west across the Tahoe National Forest and end up at Hwy 89 in the east. Our original plan was to take the Bowman Lake Road until it met up with Meadow Lake Road at the western end of Bowman Lake but with the bridge still out below the dam and not wanting risk a water crossing we decided to take FS 21 out of the town of Washington.
Big Bowman 1.JPG

FS 21 is a nicely graded road that climbs from the heat of the canyon up into the cool redwood and pine forests of the Gaston Ridge.
2016_0113_195142_002_Moment.jpg

At this point you're making good time, you might even safely hit 25 miles per hour on some of the straightaway's, but your forward progress comes to a screeching halt as you make the turn from FS 21 onto County Road 843/ Meadow Lake Road. It's not rock crawling per se but it is dental filling rattling for miles to come. Some of the road has suffered some washouts in places, there's a few sections of smooth, but for the majority of the next 20 miles our progress was very slow at times. (I probably could have gone faster but with a trailer, two passengers, a dog and a loaded vehicle I chose to be cautious)

Finally after what seems like forever we get down to lake level at Bowman Lake.
20180617_152901.jpg

The clouds were rolling in at this point, we had already received a smattering of rain, but it would start dumping on us in 15 minutes time.
We made steady progress along the northern rim of Bowman Lake as the road surface improved ever so slightly. We encountered exactly TWO vehicles along this stretch of road, but from this point until we ended up at Webber Lake more than 24 hours later we were literally on our own in the forest.

We made our way to the eastern end of Bowman Lake and began the climb up towards the junction of Jackson Meadow's Reservoir and Meadow Lake Road. Soon after leaving Bowman Lake the clouds opened up on us and it began to pour. Creeks began to swell right before our eyes and the rocks became slick.
20180617_174824_Moment.jpg
Finally we reached a plateau of sorts and we were able to get out and stretch our backs in between down pours.
20180617_162612.jpg

Through the trees I saw this gal. She didn't seem too concerned about us being there.
20180617_163505.jpg

We reached the junction with Jackson Meadows Reservoir and made the turn to continue on Meadow Lake Road. I had scouted out some campsites at the first lake we came to, Catfish Lake, via Google Maps and while the sites looked nice there was "No Camping" signs everywhere as, apparently, this section of forest is owned by Sierra Pacific Lumber. So, we continued on.

This section of the trail was very up and down. Some sections it seemed like you would climb to the sky, other times you went down a ways through some gorgeous redwood groves.
20180617_172358_Moment.jpg
Screenshot_20180622-200413_Video Player.jpg

After one last big climb we made it to the other lake I had scouted, Tollhouse Lake, and we found a really great campsite at waters edge. There was no one else there, the place was ours. But it was really cold and damp there. It rained on us for most of the time since leaving Bowman and now we had to set up camp. Fortunately the skies parted long enough for us to set up camp, eat some dinner, and dry out our wet shoes.
20180617_190526.jpg

Before the sun went down mist started dancing across the lake. It was something I'd never witnessed before.
20180617_201543.jpg

One word of caution about camping here, actually two. 1) Tollhouse Lake is miles from any services. If you have a major vehicle issue out here and there's no one with you or even camping near you, you might have to sit tight for a while till someone comes around. Like I said before, we didn't see anyone for 24 hours after leaving Bowman and there were no fresh tracks indicating someone had been this way recently. 2) The frogs! Oh my goodness the frogs! You'd think at 8,000 feet there wouldn't be any frogs. But Tollhouse is a special kind of hell in that regard. They went full Bud-weis-er until 3am. Oh, and it rained steadily through the night.

However, the next morning we woke up to this sight.
20180618_074657.jpg

The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, the frogs...hopefully they got eaten, and we looked forward to another day on the trail.
We loaded up the rig and bid Tollhouse farewell and continued on our way.
20180618_101943.jpg

From here on out Meadow Lake Road gradually becomes smoother. There's a few sections between Tollhouse and Meadow Lake that we got out and scouted-some big holes and washed out drops-but for the most part the road was far more enjoyable than the first day of our trip.
Big Bowman 2.JPG

Getting to Meadow Lake was fairly straight forward. My wife drove this section so I could jump out and scout future campsites and take photo's. Let me tell you, there are some great campsites along this stretch. What I won't tell you is where they are.

There were some sections of road like this that we needed to maneuver...
20180618_105159_Moment.jpg

And I finally got to use my hatchet...
20180618_110141.jpg

We saw the start of the Fordyce Jeep Trail...
Screenshot_20180622-200635_Video Player.jpg

We finally made it to Meadow Lake. There was no one around, we could have camped anywhere, but we decided to continue on to get a little closer to Hwy 89.
20180618_103918.jpg
20180618_111357.jpg
20180618_111901.jpg

From Meadow Lake there's only a few more miles of Meadow Lake Road before it ends and you turn north on FS 86 which is a nicely graded (for the most part) gravel road. From high up on FS 86 we could look down below us and see Fordyce Lake.
20180618_114734.jpg

FS 86 Basically dead ends at Webber Lake, another old mining town (like Meadow Lake) and some of the original buildings are still preserved.
20180618_133109.jpg
20180618_161553.jpg

After some lunch and a chance to let our dog play in the lake we saddled back up and continued on to our nights camp.
20180618_115701.jpg

So, regarding our second night's camp. I won't say where it is exactly. I did scout the area via Google Maps so I knew the general layout, however we literally stumbled upon our campsite by accident. And it was one of my most favorite. I'll just say that it's off of Henness Pass Road a bit.
20180618_174958.jpg
20180618_175101.jpg

We had an amazing camp fire that night and my wife prepared some amazing food.
20180618_181055.jpg

We got a good night of sleep and the next morning we were on our way back to civilization wishing we had some more days to explore this amazing area.
20180618_165649.jpg
20180618_171045.jpg

Here's my thoughts in hindsight: Meadow Lake Road from west end of Bowman to Meadow Lake is no joke. It's not super technical, there was one section that was steep enough-and wet enough-that I lost traction in 4H and had to back down and try again. The biggest obstacle, IMO, of this road is the unrelenting bumpiness that you encounter. 20 plus miles of constant undulations and constant rocks was real trying at times. I pressured down to 18psi all around, it helped but it was still super bumpy. Even though my trailer is light I'd like to do this route again without a trailer to see if my opinion changes. But with a trailer it was a head rattling experience. Fun though.
The solitude, at least when we went, was fantastic but also a reminder to be self reliant. A patch kit, air compressor, external battery source and Hi-Lift or bottle jack is a minimum, IMO. It wasn't until we got to Webber Lake that we saw anyone and if that's your closest rescue then you're screwed.
The whole trip was great and I can't wait to do it again some day. Cheers.

Last edited:

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
Home sweet home!!! We have some campsites located out there we don't share either, and that not seeing anyone thing for 24 hours is the best part of the whole area ;)

Take his advice to heart folks, if you go up there expect to be alone and expect to need HAM communications to reach anyone for help, or wait it out and hope someone passes by. Cell signal is weak to none, the road is narrow and rocky in stretches and it is remote.

Reactions: California Overland

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

You drove by us at approximately mid lake on Bowman. We were parked just off the road and we were fishing below when it started sprinkling. We packed up and took the washout road back rather than suffer the bumpy ride back to Grass Valley via Washington. Just as we got through the washed out bridge area the heavens unleashed that downpour.

I always wondered if the road got worse beyond mid lake so thanks for the post. I plan on going further next time.

rdubya

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

grass valley, ca
Member #

I was up there this weekend camping at Sawmill Lake. We went up to White Rock Lake/Mt Lola for a day trip. Meadow Lake Road is still pretty rough. 10MPH for most of the way and a couple small water crossings. FYI, just past Toll House Lake toward Meadow Lake about 1/2 mile, there is a meadow and ridge to the right where you can get cell service. Also, a USFS person told me that if you get caught going over the Bowman Road washout it will be BIG fine. Getting out there via Washington is still best. Still an awesome ride with exceptional scenery.

taco&jeep.jpg

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

You drove by us at approximately mid lake on Bowman. We were parked just off the road and we were fishing below when it started sprinkling. We packed up and took the washout road back rather than suffer the bumpy ride back to Grass Valley via Washington. Just as we got through the washed out bridge area the heavens unleashed that downpour.

I always wondered if the road got worse beyond mid lake so thanks for the post. I plan on going further next time.
That's great that you saw me. We were thinking about camping where you were, but when we saw your truck down there we continued on. We were able to see just the top of your truck as we were rolling on by. Your truck was the second to last we saw until we ended up at Webber Lake. You may have seen the full size truck pulling the small boat just a little bit later? He told me that the road was so bumpy that he busted a spring mount on his trailer. He was heading towards Bowman Lake Road. Assuming he made it.

Reactions: JCWages

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

When I called the FS office in Nevada City a very new sounding woman answered the phone. I asked her about the Bowman Lake bridge still being out and she said that people were "using an alternate route around the bridge but, like, it's not something we recommend."
So it's good info to let people know that there's a potentially big fine if someone gets caught crossing there.
I was up there this weekend camping at Sawmill Lake. We went up to White Rock Lake/Mt Lola for a day trip. Meadow Lake Road is still pretty rough. 10MPH for most of the way and a couple small water crossings. FYI, just past Toll House Lake toward Meadow Lake about 1/2 mile, there is a meadow and ridge to the right where you can get cell service. Also, a USFS person told me that if you get caught going over the Bowman Road washout it will be BIG fine. Getting out there via Washington is still best. Still an awesome ride with exceptional scenery.

View attachment 61321

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

That's great that you saw me. We were thinking about camping where you were, but when we saw your truck down there we continued on. We were able to see just the top of your truck as we were rolling on by. Your truck was the second to last we saw until we ended up at Webber Lake. You may have seen the full size truck pulling the small boat just a little bit later? He told me that the road was so bumpy that he busted a spring mount on his trailer. He was heading towards Bowman Lake Road. Assuming he made it.
Damn. I would have moved so you could set up but I know we as off-roaders/overlanders would not normally stop and ask if someone planned to stay long so we can camp. lol

After I cleared the bridge washout a USFS F150 came through the smoother line and didn't stop to tell me I shouldn't be crossing there so I figured it was ok or maybe he just didn't care. :)

I'm happy to hear you found the road extremely bumpy as well. I generally don't air down the tires because I don't have a portable compressor yet so 38psi in the tires makes for an uncomfortable ride. I'm not buying a portable compressor because of that road!

Reactions: California Overland

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

Damn. I would have moved so you could set up but I know we as off-roaders/overlanders would not normally stop and ask if someone planned to stay long so we can camp. lol

After I cleared the bridge washout a USFS F150 came through the smoother line and didn't stop to tell me I shouldn't be crossing there so I figured it was ok or maybe he just didn't care. :)

I'm happy to hear you found the road extremely bumpy as well. I generally don't air down the tires because I don't have a portable compressor yet so 38psi in the tires makes for an uncomfortable ride. I'm not buying a portable compressor because of that road!
Nah, I wouldn't have asked you to move or how long you were staying. That's the great thing about not being tied down to one spot, you can just go on up the road and find something better.

I aired down from 36psi to 24psi at the start of the road out of Washington, even that wasn't enough by the time I got to Bowman. So I went down to 18, it was a little better but barely. I've never gone below that as I've always feared popping a tire off, but 12psi probably would have been a sweet spot. I need to get a new compressor, to go from 18 - 36psi on 6 tires takes forever!