TAConqueror 440

• HTML tutorial

GWNavigator

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

According to David from Conqueror NA, I'm the first Tacoma/Conqueror 440 customer in North America. So here is a thread to post my experiences with this setup. I recently picked up the 440 from Ohio and had the pleasure of driving it back home to California, stopping bye in Kansas, Moab and Bryce Canyon along the way.

I can say initially that the trailer in combination with the standard trailer brakes and Max Coupler tracks beautifully on dirt roads and highway. With the air bags, AAL and Bilstein 5160's in the back, it's really a pleasure to tow and feels very stable and solid. Power-wise, I think the Tacoma is about as strong as it needs to be - was being passed by most cars on the high altitude mountain passes, but was passing most semis. I'd seriously consider a supercharger if one ever came out for the 3rd gen Tacoma, but it'll do as-is for now.

On the plus side, wheels (size and bolt pattern) on the 440 are spec'd to same standard as the Tacoma and the track width is an exact match as well for when we hit some sand.

Some initial picks to give you some context:

IMG_6691.JPG IMG_6699.JPG IMG_6718.JPG IMG_6727.JPG IMG_6730.JPG IMG_6752.JPG

GWNavigator

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Ran into some mud at Capitol Reef NP. I was impressed, really impressed, with the Crawl Control on the Tacoma. After first NOT using it, and making a bit of a mess of the diamond plate on the front of the trailer, I decided to try a couple of short climbs up the muddy road using Crawl Control. Pulled it steadily up the hill with zero issues - and no mud kicked up by the wheels. I don't mind the dirt, and manual throttle control, but I do feel good about having the tech in my back pocket in case I'm in a bind.

Here's the after shot taken the next morning.

IMG_7219.jpg

GWNavigator

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

One benefit of trailering - you can unhitch and park the trailer to go for a day-trip. This can come in handy for length-restricted trails or where no 'RV's are allowed.

IMG_7062.jpg

Reactions: ChuckB

GWNavigator

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Supercharger Update: Not exactly holding my breath but I emailed Magnuson a couple of days ago and their head of Marketing & Sales indicated a SC will be available for the 3rd gen Tacoma "...by next year". Some context: if there is one complaint I have about this platform, it's the lack of low end torque. I don't want/expect sports-car performance, and am generally ok taking it slow, but under some conditions (at higher altitudes on flat pavement, i.e. at speed), there is a noticeable lack of power. This was really apparent when climbing out of Death Valley, or up Whitney Portal Road in Lone Pine. I don't think it's too big a deal offroad, but this limitation has so far caused me to avoid two switchback routes with the trailer attached, for lack of confidence in climbing ability on tight switchbacks (not too great a plan B if you stall on a tight switchback with a trailer). I believe a supercharger could be a huge improvement, especially at higher altitudes, and would make this the 'perfect' (in my mind at least) setup. Keeping my fingers crossed.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@GWNavigator Nice looking combination, glad you're a Toyota guy!
Interesting to hear some of your feedback on the Tacoma.

I'm not sure how Magnusson is going to get around some of the engine control issues that SC's have had in the past, AND get it certified for sale in CA, but I wish them lot's of luck.

Do you know how heavy the trailer is in camping mode? Just curious because I now have a smaller trailer from @Anchor Mtn Overland that certainly weighs less, and I have experienced some of the same issues pulling it with a 4Runner. I haven't weighed my trailer yet, but right now it's an empty box compared to what you have, but I will outfit it with significantly heavier equipment, including a motorcycle. I will typically pull it with an '80 series Landcruiser, but I don't expect a whole lot more performance from that one, AND it has a supercharger but also weighs in at about 3 1/2 tons.

BTW, did you get up into the Cathedral Valley in Capital Reef? I really like the little campground up at the North end and the scenery is unequaled.

GWNavigator

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

@fj80toyman Thanks for the compliment. Regarding the SC, I've been around long enough to not take everything a sales guy has to say as gospel. Yeah the SC would be nice and I'd still go for it, but in the end I don't think the power issues are real show stoppers for me. I do still have low range in my back pocket if I find myself in a bind going uphill. The posted dry weight of the trailer is 2755lb. I have added some but also shed some unneeded things too (like heavy canvas side-panels for the awning, rear grill on the back of the tire, lithium instead of lead-acid batteries, light weight dishes replacing the original glass ones, filling one of the two provided propane tanks, etc.). So overall I would guess I was running ~3500 lb max. With the tow package the Taco is rated to roughly 6000 lb (can't recall the exact number), so I am well within that range.

The other thing I am looking into is possibly re-gearing, but so far I haven't found any real consensus on whether that will improve things or not. Have any experience with that by any chance?

I did not make it up to Cathedral Valley this time around. Went down Pleasant Creek road a little ways though. Lots worth returning for in Capitol Reef and nearby vicinity. Will have to check out Cathedral Valley next time, for sure. :grinning:

Reactions: VCeXpedition

GWNavigator

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Instagram feed from Magnuson Superchargers seems to indicate 5th gen 4Runner (my other vehicle) SC release is imminent, and 2016+ Tacoma appears to be in the works too! :smiley::smiley::smiley:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@fj80toyman ...I would guess I was running ~3500 lb max. With the tow package the Taco is rated to roughly 6000 lb (can't recall the exact number), so I am well within that range.

The other thing I am looking into is possibly re-gearing, but so far I haven't found any real consensus on whether that will improve things or not. Have any experience with that by any chance? :grinning:

3500 lb is well within the vehicle capability for sure but you've found the weak spot... engine power. It's actually got equivalent power to the previous 1GR 4.0L V6, it just doesn't feel like it!

And, yes, I do have some experience with gear ratios, a fireside chat I would love to have with you.
Changing ratios wouldn't be a bad way to go, but when you start changing ratios, other things need to be taken into consideration as well. Another part of that fireside chat.

The best way around your current challenge is to manually select the gear position when climbing those pesky-steep grades. And keep an eye on those engine and transmission temps! No alarms here, just one of the first things that start to change when the vehicle is under load like that.

Has Magnusson released pricing on the S/C kit for the 2GR / Tacoma?

Dan.

GWNavigator

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

@fj80toyman no pricing released yet. Just some pics of a 4Runner and Tacoma in front of their headquarters with a vague message designed to get us folks excited. A little more digging to discover the 4Runner already had a unit installed but seems the Tacoma was still next in line in the product development pipeline.

As far as any upgrades go I'm still convinced that weight shedding is the biggest bang per buck in terms of performance gains, so until something concrete comes along I'll be fairly content continuing the TAConqueror weight loss program. ;-)

Reactions: VCeXpedition