Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
Im working on getting a new tacoma however I see a bunch of these newer broncos in town and not going to lie. They are starting to grow on me. Ive been a tacoma guy for years. But as I begin my search for a new Overland vehicle im wondering your thoughts and if anyone has had experience with the bronco. The factory mods seem pretty good that only hassle may be mounting my RTT. Cost wise the two are pretty close.

Any experience and thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
I've owned three 4Runners and two Tacomas. I'm a Toyota guy. However, the Tacoma is not a comfortable vehicle for long distance travel IMHO. My wife and I are not big people but we felt really cramped. Add a third person and it is miserable inside. I don't own a Bronco (yet) but I am thinking hard about it. I'll probably wait for the 2023 model year so that they've worked out most of the new model kinks.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
If given my choice, I would take a Bronco over a Tacoma. But...
...I bought a Ranger over the Tacoma too. I will say that the Tacoma is a damn good looking truck and seems to be a nice piece of equipment. On top of that the aftermarket support is pretty damn good for the Tacoma. But, the aftermarket has come out pretty strong and pretty quick with product development. Man, a Bronco built up for overlanding would be pretty sweet!

Reactions: Coreymol

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
If given my choice, I would take a Bronco over a Tacoma. But...
...I bought a Ranger over the Tacoma too. I will say that the Tacoma is a damn good looking truck and seems to be a nice piece of equipment. On top of that the aftermarket support is pretty damn good for the Tacoma. But, the aftermarket has come out pretty strong and pretty quick with product development. Man, a Bronco built up for overlanding would be pretty sweet!
Yeah I’m on my third Tacoma in a row this would be my fourth. Plus one years ago

That new bronco is really appealing.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
I've owned three 4Runners and two Tacomas. I'm a Toyota guy. However, the Tacoma is not a comfortable vehicle for long distance travel IMHO. My wife and I are not big people but we felt really cramped. Add a third person and it is miserable inside. I don't own a Bronco (yet) but I am thinking hard about it. I'll probably wait for the 2023 model year so that they've worked out most of the new model kinks.
Yeah I’m on my third Tacoma in a row this would be my fourth. Plus one years ago

That new bronco is really appealing.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

I had a 2nd gen Tacoma for almost eight years and a 3rd gen for the past two. They've both proven to be extremely reliable and capable enough. I think thew new Broncos look great but they havent really proven themselves from a reliability standpoint yet.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Corey,
This is not a fair comparison. The Tacoma is a Pick-up versus an enclosed SUV. The fair comparison would be the 4 Runner... We bought the 2018 Double-cab, TRD Off-road Tacoma. It's been Great - both On and Off-road. We just got back from a 2119 mile trip from Boise, ID to Chandler, AZ and Back. On two legs of the trip we got 23.3 mpg. We've got 33566 miles on it, without any issues... Of course, we also have a 1988 62 Series LandCruiser, with over 300K miles on the original motor... David

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

I agree with the previous post, not really apples to apples (not that a 4Runner and a Bronco are, as the Bronco is really more of a Jeep competitor IMHO), a 4Runner vs. Bronco is still a better comparison. To answer your question as asked though, I think the Taco is a better setup if you want the flexibility of the open bed (as the enclosed SUV thing has some really nice advantages, also some challenges). As I am building out with an alu-cab canopy camper, without a lot of cutting, it would be difficult to achieve some of the things that setup can do from the *camping* perspective. With that said, some of the options for a factory Bronco would likely make it a more capable vehicle off-road (if we're just comparing stock-to-stock, once you get outside of stock things get a lot more difficult to compare). So, first, truck or SUV...

Reactions: Arailt and Coreymol

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
I agree with the previous post, not really apples to apples (not that a 4Runner and a Bronco are, as the Bronco is really more of a Jeep competitor IMHO), a 4Runner vs. Bronco is still a better comparison. To answer your question as asked though, I think the Taco is a better setup if you want the flexibility of the open bed (as the enclosed SUV thing has some really nice advantages, also some challenges). As I am building out with an alu-cab canopy camper, without a lot of cutting, it would be difficult to achieve some of the things that setup can do from the *camping* perspective. With that said, some of the options for a factory Bronco would likely make it a more capable vehicle off-road (if we're just comparing stock-to-stock, once you get outside of stock things get a lot more difficult to compare). So, first, truck or SUV...
yeah ive owned 4 tacomas and love them, im in a position to purchase been seeing the broncos around and was just curious BUT Ive found that unless I want to wait a year or longer or try to snag one if someone backs out no broncos are available at least that would suit my needs. so im sticking with a tacoma Thanks
and also the Alu-Cabs are so sweet. Ive always wanted one. my buddy has one and its so nice.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
35's no lift. With IFS trucks, that's worth something to me.

The Gladiators look nice as well, done up right.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
you don’t mention how many people are going on your adventures with you. If it’s just you, getting a 4 door bronco and removing the back seats would work very well, however add a wife and a dog and the bronco is going to get cramped very quickly.

Just for some insight a 65L fridge takes up the whole cargo area of the Bronco hence getting a 4 door and removing the back seats.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
For this reason is why I have an SUV and a Pickup. My whole life has been off road in pickups (Toyota) with a couple of jeeps thrown in. I loved the versatility of a truck. I need a pickup for the "truck" aspect no matter what else I drive as a toy. Several years ago I realized I liked long off road trips in an SUV. I still need a truck and for that my Tacoma works well. Short day trips in the Tacoma are nice but over all my Cruiser beats it out for long trips in the way of comfort.

When it comes to the new Bronco, I would love to spend a week camping out of it before I gave an opinion. I personally don't want to drop that much money on something that new no matter how cool they looked. Rumer has it, new orders are a year away.
I will never own another Jeep but we already know what were getting there.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
Thanks everyone. the Broncos are a year or more out for delivery and i need a vehicle much sooner. Ive placed an order so to speak for my 6th tacoma!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I must admit I do like the look of the Bronco, but that’s where it ends. A 5,000 lb truck with IFS? Next I suppose I’ll find out it’s a frameless unibody, one can only hope it has a frame. Then, open the hood. My eyebrows raised as I took my glasses off! That’s the best Ford engineering could come up with? Its a nightmare. A failure waiting to happen. No way will it last 300,000 plus miles with normal use without any catastrophic failures. Get yourself tried, tested and true, and not be a Guinea pig for yet another big three blunder.

• Wow

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I am a bit puzzled by this kind of versus. First I would make a choice between pick-up and SUV in general and once I decide for one class of vehicle, than I go look at different models in a given budget...

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I am a bit puzzled by this kind of versus. First I would make a choice between pick-up and SUV in general and once I decide for one class of vehicle, than I go look at different models in a given budget...
Agreed, but that wouldn’t be any fun. In all fairness vehicles should at least be from the same decade. So- SUV/wagon versus SUV/wagon, there’s no debate going back to when the International Travelall ended production. That Farmall was one damn tough SUV. Besides that one vehicle, Toyota wins all categories because of historical reliability and capability issues. Jeep type vehicles would include the original Bronco versus Jeep CJ versus Toyota FJ40 versus Internstional Scout versus Series Range Rover. Pick up trucks, a Ford versus Toyota debate would be healthy.
In todays market we have the Jeep Wrangler versus Ford Bronco, Toyota Tacoma versus Gladiator versus Chevy Colorado. Then all the full size pick ups. Then the lonely 4Runner versus what? A Ford Exploder? The 4 runner is in a category all by itself. Comfort? Hey, take a 10,000 dollar pile of junk, ( my 96 Landcruiser ) install a pair of Scheel-Mann seats and drive around the world in luxurious comfort. So yea, the debates are hilarious when it’s about apples & grapefruit. LOL

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Great points. I loved the Toyota but cramped is exactly what we experienced. Enough storage, but the travel "space" in the cab sucked. LOL And that's 80% of the trip.
I think the Bronco is slightly smaller (at least in feel).
We went full size and loving the room. We can play tennis in the front seat and eat a burger at the same time.
Trail access may be limited but we've been through some tight forest roads and did just fine.
Zim

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Agreed, but that wouldn’t be any fun. In all fairness vehicles should at least be from the same decade. So- SUV/wagon versus SUV/wagon, there’s no debate going back to when the International Travelall ended production. That Farmall was one damn tough SUV. Besides that one vehicle, Toyota wins all categories because of historical reliability and capability issues. Jeep type vehicles would include the original Bronco versus Jeep CJ versus Toyota FJ40 versus Internstional Scout versus Series Range Rover. Pick up trucks, a Ford versus Toyota debate would be healthy.
In todays market we have the Jeep Wrangler versus Ford Bronco, Toyota Tacoma versus Gladiator versus Chevy Colorado. Then all the full size pick ups. Then the lonely 4Runner versus what? A Ford Exploder? The 4 runner is in a category all by itself. Comfort? Hey, take a 10,000 dollar pile of junk, ( my 96 Landcruiser ) install a pair of Scheel-Mann seats and drive around the world in luxurious comfort. So yea, the debates are hilarious when it’s about apples & grapefruit. LOL
True, 4x4 SUV with hi/lo range there are not many left. In Europe is even worse, there are like 4 of them left all together to buy from new. People who don't want pick-ups are looking at anything.
Right now I am watching some builds on youtube with some Range Rover sport from 2006 and Range Rover 2008. It is hilarious :) . But when a bloody 2016 Landcruiser Prado is pushing 42k euro... For 20k euro price difference you can do a lot of repairs... :)

Reactions: Coreymol and MOAK

mootruck98

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Madison, MS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Conway
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5JCL
I'm new to overlanding and even off-roading in general, but have a Bronco and will throw in my 2 cents.

The New Bronco especially a Badlands and/or Sasquatch package can certainly wheel. It is crazy capable out the door. It is often compared to a jeep wrangler due to the removable top and doors, which its a good comp for it. Similar capabilities but the eternal IFS vs SFA debate applies. A comp of IFS vs IFS is certainly the 4Runner ignoring tops and doors that are removable. There are serious limitations to the towing, much more along lines of a wrangler. Space/Size closer to 4 Runner.

I've loved mine, still working on storage configuration/aftermarket as well as aftermarket winch bumper that supports camera and Adaptive Cruise Control. It certainly will get there but the aftermarket is certainly lagging a bit on the Bronco release, as is the Bronco release itself.

20220317_083644.jpg20220318_093720.jpg20220319_122628.jpg20220319_163027.jpg20220326_191913.jpg

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
I'm new to overlanding and even off-roading in general, but have a Bronco and will throw in my 2 cents.

The New Bronco especially a Badlands and/or Sasquatch package can certainly wheel. It is crazy capable out the door. It is often compared to a jeep wrangler due to the removable top and doors, which its a good comp for it. Similar capabilities but the eternal IFS vs SFA debate applies. A comp of IFS vs IFS is certainly the 4Runner ignoring tops and doors that are removable. There are serious limitations to the towing, much more along lines of a wrangler. Space/Size closer to 4 Runner.

I've loved mine, still working on storage configuration/aftermarket as well as aftermarket winch bumper that supports camera and Adaptive Cruise Control. It certainly will get there but the aftermarket is certainly lagging a bit on the Bronco release, as is the Bronco release itself.

View attachment 227268View attachment 227269View attachment 227270View attachment 227271View attachment 227272
Thanks. I appreciate the input.