Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indiana
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sim
Member #

I own a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road which will be my overland vehicle and everyday driver. I am working with a fabricator to design a completely detachable system that i can just raise and lower onto my rig via a pulley system in the garage. My main concern is my suspension. I am looking to use 33" Hybrid/All-Terrain tires and addimg at least 3" of lift. My concern is what will happen when i remove ALL my gear from the truck bed, will my bed shoot up very little or will i be be raking the cement. BTW i have leaf springs in the rear and coil in the front. I would like to keep my leafs in the rear if possible. What suspension/gear will i need?

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I own a 2007 Tacoma which suspension wise is practically identical to your 2019. You will only be adding 3" of lift to your truck unless you want to start getting into a drop bracket lift or if you are 2wd then you can easily put in a 4" spindle lift. You will want to look into leaf springs that are rated for "x" amount of lift with "x" amount of weight. I know All-Pro, Dakar, and Icon all make "overlanding" or "expedition" leafs that have an extra carrying capacity and are rated to give the correct amount of lift with the extra weight.

Depending on the added weight of your detachable system you will experience some rake unloaded if you are wanting your truck to set "level" when loaded down. The amount of rake will be dependent on how much lift you have your coilovers giving you in the front and how much your detachable system weighs.

Simeri

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indiana
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sim
Member #

I own a 2007 Tacoma which suspension wise is practically identical to your 2019. You will only be adding 3" of lift to your truck unless you want to start getting into a drop bracket lift or if you are 2wd then you can easily put in a 4" spindle lift. You will want to look into leaf springs that are rated for "x" amount of lift with "x" amount of weight. I know All-Pro, Dakar, and Icon all make "overlanding" or "expedition" leafs that have an extra carrying capacity and are rated to give the correct amount of lift with the extra weight.

Depending on the added weight of your detachable system you will experience some rake unloaded if you are wanting your truck to set "level" when loaded down. The amount of rake will be dependent on how much lift you have your coilovers giving you in the front and how much your detachable system weighs.
Thank you for taking the time to share some knowledge. I'll look into those

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

Thank you for taking the time to share some knowledge. I'll look into those
First place I would start if I was you would be to figure out how much weight you are going to be carrying on your detachable system. Once you know that you can figure out what rear leaf springs would fit the bill. Your front coil overs will all be adjustable so they are the easiest part. You might need to look at front spring rates if you are going to have a front bumper or anything but that is also easy!

Reactions: Simeri

Simeri

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indiana
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sim
Member #

First place I would start if I was you would be to figure out how much weight you are going to be carrying on your detachable system. Once you know that you can figure out what rear leaf springs would fit the bill. Your front coil overs will all be adjustable so they are the easiest part. You might need to look at front spring rates if you are going to have a front bumper or anything but that is also easy!
I'm adding about 950 - 1K lbs overall (Front=420lbs Rear=550lbs) when fully loaded. The removable gear is about 450lbs

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
I have a DCSB 2nd gen Tacoma with 33's and have about 2.5 inches of lift (could go higher but don't have the need). I went Fox 2.5's mid travel with DSC adjusters all 4 corners, to tune the ride to the weight change and road conditions. On back I have wheelers 3 leaf add a leaf and Firestone Ride Rite airbags with the daystar cradles, so I still have my full suspension droop and can adjusted for any load. I planned on upgrading to OME or Deavers leaf pack, but haven't needed it. Seems to work for me, I can take off my bed bars roof top tent, all my camping gear and just dial down the Fox's and let some air out of the RideRites.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Sumo Rebel springs if available for tacos.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

E7EBDB14-7E01-4106-AFA6-AA74CCAA71FA.jpeg2042273C-6E65-49A5-92AF-891BD966B5D5.jpeg
I currently have around 1300 of additional weight with gear and family of three. 2018 trd pro. I went for ome bp51 front with a winch, slim line bumper and dual compressor (it’s heavy). Rear I have dakar leaf with airbags and bp51with resie.A5E097D5-4435-4B11-AC46-761B777BC6CE.png
Ridding on 33 coopers 10 ply. Decked system in rear with 4 battery bank and fridge. Rear swing gate with spare tire bottom and rear. Tank is ready for what ever.

Reactions: Wallygator