Tacoma rebuild 2017 TRD sport

• HTML tutorial

Hayden Bennett

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bristol, Rhode Island
Member #

I have a rare chance to upgrade some parts on my truck without breaking the bank but want to do it right first time.

My 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport double cab long bed was rear ended about a week ago and it just barely wasn't totalled but everything is being replaced new (frame included). I have a cap, aluminum roof rack and bed slide on the truck and want to give it a lift and new rear bumper as these will be replaced anyways.
Questions are:
What suspension to get (brand, lift height, etc) was looking at OME 2 3/4"-3" lift but not to sure what people think of those.

Also was looking at a CBI off-road T3 rear bumper with swing arm for fuel and tire.
Has anyone had experience with this? Good/bad, know of something better?

I have just ordered a Swithpro 9100 for all lights and aux equipment. And looking forward to getting all this installed when I get the truck back a month from now.

Cheers from RI,
Hayden

Attachments

PintSize

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Corpus Christi, Texas
Member #

I have OME coils on Bilstein 5100 shocks and a progressive add a leafs to lift the rear. I’ve heard that some had issues with the OME shocks and had a better ride Offroad with the 5100s and have more travel than OME. I have a 2nd gen Tacoma so I don’t know which OME coil you’ll need. Lifting to ~3” an aftermarket UCA will be needed to keep in alignment plus without one you’ll get what’s called ‘bump steer’.

I have a ARE shell and the AALs definitely help and I left the overload leaf in. If you plan to carry a ton of gear I’d get the OME leaf springs.

The company I ordered my parts from was very helpful as far as which coils to choose. PM me if you need more info.

Bumpers are all personal preference. I want Brute Force high clearance rear bumper. Pelfreybult, SOS Offroad concepts, Relentless fab, Mobtown all make rock solid bumpers.

Reactions: Hayden Bennett

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I have OME coils on Bilstein 5100 shocks and a progressive add a leafs to lift the rear. I’ve heard that some had issues with the OME shocks and had a better ride Offroad with the 5100s and have more travel than OME. I have a 2nd gen Tacoma so I don’t know which OME coil you’ll need. Lifting to ~3” an aftermarket UCA will be needed to keep in alignment plus without one you’ll get what’s called ‘bump steer’.

I have a ARE shell and the AALs definitely help and I left the overload leaf in. If you plan to carry a ton of gear I’d get the OME leaf springs.

The company I ordered my parts from was very helpful as far as which coils to choose. PM me if you need more info.

Bumpers are all personal preference. I want Brute Force high clearance rear bumper. Pelfreybult, SOS Offroad concepts, Relentless fab, Mobtown all make rock solid bumpers.
Which AAL did you use? I tried the Firestone airbags with Daystar cradles, but I really hate the setup. I need to switch to a better leaf spring setup and change out the rear shocks. Icon make a hydraulic bumpstop which I plan to put in place of the airbags. Hope I get a better ride. The airbags really made the ride brutal. I can only get so much air out of them, so every little bump sends the truck hopping around.

Michael Kinnett

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Muncie, IN
Member #

I have the "HD" setup from OME, 2" on my 2013 DCLB Tacoma. My only complaint at all with it is a bit of chatter at lower speeds going over corrugations or smaller bumps, outside of that it's an excellent lift. I went with their HD to accommodate the additional weight of my Pelfreybilt Steel front full hoop and rear bumpers along with all aluminum skids, Prinsu Roof Rack, and a bed cap which is being upgraded to an Alu Cab Explorer Canopy.

As far as CBI, people do swear by their equipment, I personally am sticking with Pelfreybilt, their customer service is great and the fit/finish of their products are as well.

Hayden Bennett

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bristol, Rhode Island
Member #

Been awhile since posting on the thread. Trucks all back together. Went with Pelfrybilt which now seems like a mistake if they went chapter 11. ( Am I wrong on that?). Hoping to get up in the snow line this winter once I get the trailer and RTT sorted. IMG_1425.JPGIMG_1369.JPG

Reactions: ToyotaGirl76