Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Wow I’m really impressed with this system- looks incredible. A couple of years ago I built a much simpler version using 80/20 but I’m inspired to give it a refresh and incorporate some of the “nesting” features you used here. Appreciate you documenting the build and sharing your ideas.

9AFEBAF3-3441-4EA3-9931-2A1624D15471.jpeg
C31C634F-B2D6-4E1C-89B4-538FAFC37AFA.jpeg
D8A3F6DF-EFBE-461E-8EE5-A1856D73CA0E.jpeg

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

Ashcan80

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chico, CA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Asher
Member #

You totally can, would you go high on one half of the rear area, or lower and all the way across?
I have a dog, but I think
You totally can, would you go high on one half of the rear area, or lower and all the way across?
I think high on one side and a platform at the wheel arch height on the other. But the platform area may be a fridge instead. I need to sketch it out. What I like most about your original drawer and this one is the length it extends to and those coffee table lids. The 8020 really appeals to me for weight. You might consider submitting this to 8020 for a showcase on their Extreme DIY video series.

Reactions: PapaDave

echoi17

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sydney NSW, Australia
First Name
Elliott
Last Name
Choi
Thank you for the kind words! But isn’t the Gladiator going to be called the Russel Crowe in Australia?

See what I did there
Ahahahaha... yes i did. Good one. And it might not be a bad idea if I ever get around to buying one down there! Originally being from the US, I'm not a fan of how long it takes for cars to get down there. Plus they seem to like to neuter half the trucks down there. But just remember, if you decide to start selling this product of yours for the "Russel Crowes" down under, I get to be your guinea pig and demo car in Australia for giving you the idea! :p

• Haha

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
(Paraphrasing of several of PapaDave’s posts by @ChasingOurTrunks )

I DIY’d a system that I’m super humble about but is as good or better than 99% of the commercial options out there, but I’m not selling my creativity and hard work, I’m just being an incredibly nice dude and posting the plans, pictures, and lessons so others can learn from my process for free
I know you didn’t say the above word for word but having looked through this thread that’s what I saw! I am gobsmacked at what an amazing final product you ended up with. I started pouring over photos at 5:30 AM today and then woke up my wife to say “hey let’s build one like this”. Seriously this is amazing and is one of the best drawer/storage solutions I’ve seen. You’ve packed a ton of innovations into this thing — the lights, the coffee table hinges, the use of the 80/20 & HDPE — it’s really amazing. The fact that you are sharing it with everyone freely is icing on the cake so thank you! I do a lot of my kit DIY and I know how much work goes into this kind of thing. Amazing work.

@Michael (I hope I have tagged the right Michael! Going for the “owner” of this wonderful site) — Is there any appetite for an annual “Community Awards” that we can vote on so we can recognize innovative and wonderful work by members? No trophies or awards or anything, just a way to celebrate stuff like this — because if we did have that, I think you’d have a strong nomination with PapaDave’s system!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I know you didn’t say the above word for word but having looked through this thread that’s what I saw! I am gobsmacked at what an amazing final product you ended up with. I started pouring over photos at 5:30 AM today and then woke up my wife to say “hey let’s build one like this”. Seriously this is amazing and is one of the best drawer/storage solutions I’ve seen. You’ve packed a ton of innovations into this thing — the lights, the coffee table hinges, the use of the 80/20 & HDPE — it’s really amazing. The fact that you are sharing it with everyone freely is icing on the cake so thank you! I do a lot of my kit DIY and I know how much work goes into this kind of thing. Amazing work.

@Michael (I hope I have tagged the right Michael! Going for the “owner” of this wonderful site) — Is there any appetite for an annual “Community Awards” that we can vote on so we can recognize innovative and wonderful work by members? No trophies or awards or anything, just a way to celebrate stuff like this — because if we did have that, I think you’d have a strong nomination with PapaDave’s system!
That made me smile, thanks! If it inspires you to build something awesome that 1- makes your time out more enjoyable and 2- helps you get out more frequently with your family then I’m pretty satisfied!

Silver Beast

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Moses Lake, WA
First Name
Andie
Last Name
Lorenz
Member #

Dave
Your drawer design is amazing. Can I possibly get a copy of your plan. I have a F150 and a military M101 trailer I would like to make one for.

Thank you
Andie Lorenz Member #01929

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Page 1 has the plans
Dave
Your drawer design is amazing. Can I possibly get a copy of your plan. I have a F150 and a military M101 trailer I would like to make one for.

Thank you
Andie Lorenz Member #01929
Page 1 has the plans, you can adapt from there. I don’t really have a great copy of them. As a side note I’m also in the process of researching about starting a business that creates kits for people to utilities these drawers as well. Still in progress though :)

Send me some photos if you build out something!

Silver Beast

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Moses Lake, WA
First Name
Andie
Last Name
Lorenz
Member #

Page 1 has the plans

Page 1 has the plans, you can adapt from there. I don’t really have a great copy of them. As a side note I’m also in the process of researching about starting a business that creates kits for people to utilities these drawers as well. Still in progress though :)

Send me some photos if you build out something!
I definitely will send photos. Thank you for the assist and the inspiration. Hope to see you on a tail someday.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
The response of the drawer has been overwhelming. I hope that it is a good starting point for your DIY projects. I know some may not be up for that kind of project so I’m considering starting a gear company. This is a simple website as a feeler.

www.motivedesignsinc.com
GET OUT THERE
57F4A980-993E-42E3-8724-393CB0F5A404.jpeg

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
I.
Friggin.
Love.
This.
Man I wish you were local, I’d pay you to help me build this for my 04 taco...[emoji23]

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
Did you happen to post a list of materials? I didn’t see one but would love to see the specifics on the lights, switches, drawer sliders, hinges, etc. that you used. You are inspiring my good man!

bladerunnerkc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Kansas City, KS, USA
Member #

Materials parts and everything about $1800. Aluminum isn’t cheap and the sliders are about $200 for a pair. It can be built for less for sure by using square extrusions and butting the joints instead of corner connectors. Just depends on what you are going for. I was trying to make something functional and cool looking, but 8020 offers a number of options
Ran across a camper with 80/20 kitchen components like PapaDave mentioned, square tubing and they used black slot fillers.

Camper with square butted tubing example

I have built projects using the 1.5 inch 80/20 and it is super strong. I really appreciate the strength of their anchor fasteners, but they do require machining. I can hang from the top frame of this vacuum/cyclone cart and it doesn't give, amazing stuff.

DSC_05992.jpg

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Amazing build. Did you need to make any other modifications to the 9722? Jets as delivered work well? Blue even flame with Propane?
It works great. I had to change out the regulator as it was an England butane unit. A Mr Heater unit is $11, and gives the right pressure. The burners aren’t huge so don’t expect backyard bbq

stilljester

Rank 0

Contributor I

Airplane and Hotel Rooms
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Wilson
It works great. I had to change out the regulator as it was an England butane unit. A Mr Heater unit is $11, and gives the right pressure. The burners aren’t huge so don’t expect backyard bbq
So no Thanksgiving turkey roast then? Appreciate the response. The documentation from Dometic pretty weak so it's great to get a confirmation from someone who is actually using it.

• Haha

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
So no Thanksgiving turkey roast then? Appreciate the response. The documentation from Dometic pretty weak so it's great to get a confirmation from someone who is actually using it.
Yeah it boils water and will cook steaks, what’s funny is usually outdoor gear is easy to blast food and burn it, harder to simmer. This unit simmers great but is a little slower than my old Coleman stove. But my last 2 Overland trips have been at 9500’ which affects things as well