Tacoma model suggestion

• HTML tutorial

DamnSkippyTy

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I had a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4WD Xtra Cab V6 TRD until a few months ago. Unfortunately I rolled it and it was totaled. So I'm now looking to get yet another Tacoma. Looking at the current models, I'm leaning towards an access cab with a long bed but undecided about the transmission. Based on those selections, these appear to be my options:

1. SR5: Access Cab w/ Long Bed & Automatic Transmission
  2. TRD Sport: Access Cab w/ Long Bed & Manual Transmission
  3. TRD Sport: Access Cab w/ Long Bed & Automatic Transmission
  4. TRD Off-Road: Access Cab w/ Long Bed & Automatic Transmission

My question is, which of these configurations would be more suitable for overloading? Will one transmission choice be preferred over the other?

Reactions: Russell Peters

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@DamnSkippyTy
I had a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4WD Xtra Cab V6 TRD until a few months ago. Unfortunately I rolled it and it was totaled. So I'm now looking to get yet another Tacoma. Looking at the current models, I'm leaning towards an access cab with a long bed but undecided about the transmission. Based on those selections, these appear to be my options:
  1. SR5: Access Cab w/ Long Bed & Automatic Transmission
  2. TRD Sport: Access Cab w/ Long Bed & Manual Transmission
  3. TRD Sport: Access Cab w/ Long Bed & Automatic Transmission
  4. TRD Off-Road: Access Cab w/ Long Bed & Automatic Transmission
My question is, which of these configurations would be more suitable for overloading? Will one transmission choice be preferred over the other?
Sorry to hear about your Gen 1. Hopefully she kept everyone as safe a possible in the roll.

I gave #2 a long hard look back in January. I really wanted another Long bed + Manual but in the end I had to pass because I could not subject anyone to the rear jump seats on an overland trip. I like the shorter wheelbase of the access cab models 127.4 vs 140.6 of the Double cab long bed. those 13" make a big difference in break over angle on the trail. IIRC the wheelbase on our old Ford Van was only 138"!

For me the Manual was preferred due to simplicity. Less moving parts to break down and generally lower cost to repair when needed. Plus while I'm told that I'm odd I LIKE driving Stick. That said I was very impressed by some of the computer tricks (CRAWL) Toyota built into the new Automatics on the TRD Tacoma which can be helpful for getting out of a jam while offroad. My dealership had an icy hill and sand pit where they would let you play with an equipped demo truck. Get it stuck enable CRAWL and drive out.

If you go Auto I'd suggest the TRD off-road to get the Locking Diff and Crawl as the Sr5 lacks these features. Be sure to ask if you can get a larger Trans cooler (usually a tow package option) it will help increase the life of the trans fluid/tranny as you add weight for overlanding (regardless of if you ever tow anything).

Boort

Motofox

Rank 0

Traveler I

NorCal
Owner of a DCLB here, ive yet to be limited by my wheelbase. However, i dont run the rubicon or fordyce on the regular. Longer wheelbase will mean you need to pick your lines more carefully, but i do not think its going to be as big of a difference unless your comparing your capabilities to a 2door jeep.

I also drive and access cab for work everyday. I dont notice much of a difference unless im in a parking lot. So, if youre trailblazing through trees i can see the longer truck being slighty more of a pain. In which case a 1st gen tacoma will be the way to go lol

In my opinion, if youre on a trail where the 13" of extra wheelbase is going to make or break you, you should probably have dual lockers and/or a winch and alot of armor. Which means you should be able to pull yourself off anything you high center on.

Bonus is now they offer the dclb in the TRD offroad trim, so you can get the longer truck and still have a factory locker in the rear. That being said, i plan to regear my truck and add a front locker, so i bought an SR5, under the assumption i would be adding lockers later anyways. Just means for the next few years im on an open/open configuration but that hasnt limited me yet.

With all of that, i do find myself occasionally wishing i got an access cab, but thats only because i read the internet and fall victim to people telling me my "limo" is too long to do anything cool.

Just my 2c

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@DamnSkippyTy
Boort,
Thanks for the response and information.

Every vehicle (there have been quite a few but thankfully not due to rolling issues - lol), have been manual transmission so I have no problem adding yet another to the list. I was only considering the automatic due to the added benefits (aka crawl).

As for the long bed, aside from overlanding, I also see myself just hitting the road and sleeping out of the back. Is that additional length going to hinder my ability to gain access to trails the group is traveling on?

As for the double vs access cab, my previous truck was the extra cab and in the 18 years owning that truck, I can only think of 2-3 events where someone actually climbed back there. Sure you can say it might have come up more often if there were actual seats and leg room. Instead it was perfect area for my pups to make their home while on the road.

The girlfriend has hinted at the idea of towing a small trailer from time to time. So it is good to know about the larger trans cooler.
Been over 20 years in a single cab long bed with a stick for me, Never needed more than the 2 seater until recently. If I could have gotten the 4runner in a manual I would have. I seriously considered getting a 3rd gen or LC and turning it over to Slee or Proffit and team to give it a v8 and stick but sided with reliability over a custom setup. :P Sleeping in the bed was why I wanted the DCLB but those don't come in manual. If your sleeping solo then you might be comfortable sleeping corner to corner with a deck or drawer system in a shortbed.

IIRC you would need to add a bit more than an 1" of extra ground clearance to the DCLB's 140" wheelbase to get the same breakover angle as the shorter 127" WB models. You'd also need to get better at multi-point turns if you like to run tight trails. There are some trails her in CO that I'd need to think long and hard about running in a long WB truck. IE Go Midweek instead of on the weekend, make sure I had that extra inch of clearance etc... So if you're looking to get a lift and taller tires over the TRD offroad package in the future you can account for the long WB at that time.

Get her to define "Small" upfront. :D My 97 w3.4L can tow my 3300lb popup fine on the flats but here in the mtns of CO she was huffing and puffing. The 2nd gen with a 4L did better according to the folks I bought the trailer from as that is what they towed it with all around the western US and Canada. Not sure about the gen3 eco engines but have not heard good things. The v8 T4R does not even know the trailer is back there. Another piece of advice if you do get to towing or otherwise carrying a lot of weight. Get an ODBII monitor (ScanguageII, Edge Insight CS2, etc...) that can show both Trans temp and Trans Fluid temp. This will let you know you are working her hard before the trans is fragged and THEN the idiot light comes on.

Boort

Reactions: Motofox

freedomomelet

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Nebraska
Launch Member

Influencer I

Springfield, NE
Member #

Hey guys, just my thoughts.... I am currently running a DCSB TRD OR and am really enjoying it. Fits the wife and youngin fairly well with all of our stuff. Keep in mind its easy to grow into more space, harder if you are limited. I plan on adding the shell with a full top rack so anything that i need to carry that's longer can go up on the roof so the short box doesnt scare me away. I'd rather have the shorter wheel base; plus I think it drives a bit better, especially in tight situations.

Transmissions. I have the auto. Wanted the manual but here's the deal. Most of my friends can't drive the manual and neither can the wife (no she doesn't want to learn either unfortunately). What happens if I get incapacitated and can't drive and someone has to get us out? I needed something that anyone could drive even in an emergency. Yes, thats also the plus about a manual is that it's a great theft deterrent. But hey, the crawl control is actually fairly great and fun to play with. With these new autos however, there is some funky shifting programming and fuel mapping with the current set up from the factory. Be sure to have the dealer reflash the ECM and that will fix those notorious shifting issues. TSB 0062-18 was recently released and addresses this.

Cheers

Reactions: Boort

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

I sqy go for the sport as long as it has the crawl option. The rest of the stuff is fluffer. Save your money on the add on from the dealer because your going to upgrade

TheGreatWhiteBuffalo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gini
Member #

If you’re looking at the 3rd gens, I recommend the TRD Off-road if you looking for what’s most suitable for *off-road* kinda overlanding. The others are great, but the OEM rear locker is so nice to have, and the crawl control is just that something extra that you can totally live without but saves you from needing a winch like 80% of the time you get stuck. I’ve been stuck a few times and haven’t run into a situation (YET) where crawl control and Maxtrax didn’t get me out.
Only you can know the level of “off-roadiness” that you’ll be doing.

My personal opinion on the transmission: manual can be more fun when wheeling, but with how good automatics are these days, I think autos are better off road. You can also not worry about shifting if you need that extra hand in an emergency (bleeding, something’s broken, etc.)
Also way easier and less hassle to drive on road. I vote automatic. (People may have other opinions, and they are totally welcome to that)

Reactions: Cpol