Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Reno, NV USA
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Bass
Hello Overland community!

I am relatively new to Overlanding/off roading and I recently bought a 2019 Tacoma Off Road which had a pre-existing Pro Comp 6” spacer lift and 35” MT Toyo tires. I know that I need to replace this lift with a solid Coil Over Suspension and my main purpose for this truck will be both a daily driver but also a solid Overland vehicle to hold all of my gear, RTT and family that I would like to take over moderate trails and the occasional more experienced terrain. I am looking for a capable and safe vehicle for me and my family.

My question is should I keep the same size 6” lift with the new suspension or reduce it down to a 2.5-3.5” lift while also reducing down the tire size to avoid cutting out a lot of the current truck?

If I should lower the lift size any advice on a 2.5-3.5?

Thank you for your advice and expertise!!!

Attachments

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

If your plans don't involve challenging Offroad terrain and you stick to mainly forest service roads and the like, that lift is probably just fine. Especially if you daily drive it. With that said, drop bracket/spacer lifts aren't the "proper" way to lift the vehicle. Your truck has very capable stock suspension by design itself. If you were to remove the pre installed lift and supplant it with something that amplifies your factory configuration, ie Toytec coiler suspension/Icon/Fox/Kings/etc, it would outperform almost all of your expectations. I suggest, since you asked, that attending a get together and meeting other owners of varying vehicles. Ask them what their favorite suspension modifications were, what's the one thing they regret and what's the penultimate upgrade! Thats a great way to start from a learners standpoint.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Nice truck.
I didn't know anyone did 6 inch spacer lifts. Pop over to Tacoma world and look there some. Personally, I don't think I would want 35's on my Tacoma. Once you start pushing past 33's you need to start looking into gearing, especially if your going to be adding in more weight. What your talking about doing, 32's-33's and a couple inch's of lift will be fine. The stance of the TRD pro actually works very well. The key here is dependability, your tires will wear suspension and axles pretty quick as well as kill a bunch of power and mileage.
There is the cool factor though, you do have that going for you.

TacoMacs

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Louisville, KY, USA
First Name
DarinAndJen
Last Name
TacoMacs
Member #

Check out YouTube, lots of videos of bone stock Tacoma TRD Off Roads doing MOAB. These trucks are VERY capable right out of the box. Any additions would be gravy in my opinion. BTW, that lift LOOKS pretty damn awesome. Cool Factor 10/10.

Reactions: Dbass00

Dbass00

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Reno, NV USA
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Bass
Great feedback and suggestions!!! I think you are all confirming my leaning and I want a more capable truck and going lower with quality parts will not only get me where I want to go but also prolong my truck! Thanks for all of the advice!

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Great feedback and suggestions!!! I think you are all confirming my leaning and I want a more capable truck and going lower with quality parts will not only get me where I want to go but also prolong my truck! Thanks for all of the advice!
If that’s the case, look at Total Chaos UCA’s, LCA’s, cam tab kit, King ext travel coilovers with reservoirs, BAMF rear shock mount kit, King 2.0 Smoothie w/ reservoir shocks, Deaver J66 rear leaf springs and a good set of 33’s and that truck will do more than you are willing!